Welcome To The Real World, Kiddies

They learned the boss was a jerk who is such an egomaniacal tyrant, he'll fire anyone that even proposes anything.

Then the letter writer must be a masochist or incredibly stupid, since he/she wrote for advice on how to get firing reversed and return to work for the egomaniacal tyrant.

And I'm guessing that no one ever discussed the difference between "intern" and "CEO??"

Rule #1 when you start any job-- don't assume that you know more than the people who have been doing it successfully forever. Do it their way for a year, and then start to think about how it can be done better.

etter writer sounds like an entitled snowflake who never heard the word "no" before.

Yeah the interns in my field PAY most places (have to be in grad school and pay for the internship) to intern. So they think they are entitled to dictate things. Ummm NO YOU are an INTERN. YOU are a STUDENT. I am a professional who has 20+ years experience...I do think I know a wee bit more.

For the poster who thinks this is "made up" - I assure you it happens all the time. This year the snowflake didn't like her staff relief assignment (they are given a choice and we do are best to accommodate but not everyone will get first pick) and got other interns to sign a petition on her behalf to allow her to change (all but one signed-the one who didn't is older and has real life work experience in another field-of course the babies ostracized him). A compromise worked out but it left a bad bad bad taste in us preceptors mouths (college over ruled us clinicians-which should NEVER happen but politics is a DIRTY word even in healthcare!!) IF she was the top student I can see an argument being made but she is middle of the road at best.
This is just one example. Have examples from many years. Problem is that now authority/bosses are too scared of their shadow to actually stand their ground in this lawsuit happy playground so the snowflakes STILL think they are entitled...bitter - yeah. Counting down the days til I am out:) If my kids ever acted like that they'd be in big big trouble...

so YAY for a boss to stand up to the snowflakes!!

ETA- have had many many outstanding interns over the years but they do seem to be further and farther between now. Instead of a bunch of good and one not so good it is now more -meh and downright bad. when we get a good one it's like a rainbow coming through after a storm LOL

Uh for their first 17 years, they didn't even have the power to change anything. They didn't even have a vote.
Same thing was true when their parents were under 18, and like their parents, they'll find that pollution and debt play a part in their adult lives, like it or not, no matter which way they vote.

Uh for their first 17 years, they didn't even have the power to change anything. They didn't even have a vote.

Bad news: turning 18 doesn't magically turn you into an authority on anything. Neither does a college degree.

You get authority when you've earned it. Typically, you earn it through a combination of education and experience. You demonstrate good judgement, a knowledge of how the business works, you work well with others on projects, you contribute positively to the work environment.

Those interns were almost done with their education-- assuming, of course, that graduate school isn't a prerequisite for the work environment they were in. That's it. They went to college.

So they're still light years away for being in a position to effect change, unless they put themselves in a position to open their own organization. Based on their actions in their first professional work environment, I would say that's probably not a good idea.

That dress code they were arguing against-- it wasn't targeting the interns. It was the dress code for the professional work environment. Anyone who doesn't choose to obey the rules is free to find employment elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think the columnist in the original article gave good advice about how the interns should have approached the dress code thing...But I also think that's the advice they should have been given at the company, instead of being immediately fired. Interns are there to learn. That means when they make a mistake (and I do think the petition was a mistake!) you tell/show them what they should have done instead.

In my experience, interns are unpaid, so the dress code may even have been a financial hardship for them. If they aren't dealing with the public, it might have actually made sense to relax on the shoes or jackets, and if they had approached it correctly, they might have gotten some concessions.

I'm not saying we should raise kids to think they're in charge, or that they deserve everything without hard work. But I do think everyone - young, old, and in between - needs to feel listened to, even if the final answer is no.

I think the columnist in the original article gave good advice about how the interns should have approached the dress code thing...But I also think that's the advice they should have been given at the company, instead of being immediately fired. Interns are there to learn. That means when they make a mistake (and I do think the petition was a mistake!) you tell/show them what they should have done instead.

In my experience, interns are unpaid, so the dress code may even have been a financial hardship for them. If they aren't dealing with the public, it might have actually made sense to relax on the shoes or jackets, and if they had approached it correctly, they might have gotten some concessions.

I'm not saying we should raise kids to think they're in charge, or that they deserve everything without hard work. But I do think everyone - young, old, and in between - deserves to feel listened to, even if the final answer is no.

But they did that...they asked their respective managers and were told no. They refused to take that for an answer. And not once was financial hardship mentioned in the letter. I have no doubt that the dress code was explained, and if they couldn't meet the requirements of the job, that was on them.

I actually do think that "young people today" are generally pretty good people. I've seen teens giving up vacation time to volunteer, working hard in school and in the community, and I have rarely experienced anything other than politeness and respect. But, I do think that the young adults in this situation acted unprofessionally and, yes, entitled.

^^ Can I "like" this more than once?

I'm a huge proponent of young people. I've been teaching high school since 1980, and have seen amazing examples of the good they do.

But this particular group was wrong on so many levels. They were unprepared for the workplace. I think the actions of the boss were justified.

I'm not saying we should raise kids to think they're in charge, or that they deserve everything without hard work. But I do think everyone - young, old, and in between - needs to feel listened to, even if the final answer is no.

Just about all of the internships on Capitol Hill are unpaid. People compete very aggressively to get one of the page positions. Unpaid in an expensive city and your are expected to dress very professional and conservative. You know that going in. I do understand the hardship of paying for conservative, professional clothing as I have had to pay for it in all my working years AND have now had to assist my daughter in buying things that are work appropriate as she is not paid much. But, again, you know that going and as someone who is there to learn and observe, you don't get a say in the matter at that point in your career. What you do is learn from it, work your way up, and if you still feel that way when you are in a position of earned respect, you then change it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter