Weird Disney Quirks?

First breakfast at Kona. Must have Dole Whip several times during the week. Also kaki gori from Epcot/Japan...and the refridgerated chocolate & caramel covered grapes from the caramel shop Germany/Epcot.

I always buy a towel at Fantasmic. My fave so far is my Villains towel.

Welcoming show at Disney is a must. Here is a pic of me crying at one:
2cerjif.jpg

Last edited:
Saw on another thread that some people hand the balloons off to a family checking in as they are leaving-I think that's kinda sweet and may consider this for our next trip.

DS reminded me that it is mandatory to eat at least one Mickey shaped food while there. He told his GF that if you don't they kick you out, lol.

Oh that's a fun idea.
When I've got the Packages from Disney and they give me the Arcade coupon, I go and get the card and then find a family that is playing games and ask them if they would like my card. I don't use it so why waste it. The looks I've got have been very strange. Not happy like I've expected. More ok why you giving me this. Well this trip we got our tickets from another source and did room only discount so no arcade card to give away. LOL
But the balloon might be fun. I'll have to think about that. How expensive are we talking?
And how long do they really last?

We always take a picture with our kids by the water wheel at POR and one of just the kids by the topiary in CP. Dinner at Akershus, CP and Sci Fi. End our trips with MK as our last park.

An unfortunate tradition for our family is that my youngest DS always gets sick on our third park day. Even if we take a rest day prior it's always the third park day.

I tend to be really tired and irritable on the 3rd day too. I blame it on blood sugar.

Oh that's a fun idea.
When I've got the Packages from Disney and they give me the Arcade coupon, I go and get the card and then find a family that is playing games and ask them if they would like my card. I don't use it so why waste it. The looks I've got have been very strange. Not happy like I've expected. More ok why you giving me this. Well this trip we got our tickets from another source and did room only discount so no arcade card to give away. LOL
But the balloon might be fun. I'll have to think about that. How expensive are we talking?
And how long do they really last?

I have no clue what balloons cost there, $15-20 probably, so that's quite a bit.

And I do know what you mean by the funny looks you get-use to happen to us with the paper FPs -we'd have some extras and pass them on to people as we left. Sometimes people just looked at us like we had 3 heads, lol.

We usually arrive around noon and my first thing to do is walk barefoot in the grass at the resort. I'm from Michigan and we always travel in February or December. Next we go to the MK and we go straight to "It's a Small World". Next we get a Mickey Bar. We have done this for years and we never deviate. After the Mickey Bar we are open for what ever fancies us.

Such a lovely tribute to your Dad.
I hope when I am gone, my children have a list of quirks they remember about me.

Specifically how every time, at the beginning of the day at MK, when the train brings the singing characters into the station,
I burst into happy tears.

And I do know what you mean by the funny looks you get-use to happen to us with the paper FPs -we'd have some extras and pass them on to people as we left. Sometimes people just looked at us like we had 3 heads said:
I once offered Soarin' fp holders $20-$100 for their FP as they walked past me in line and none of them bit. I think I even offered a couple of hundred to some folks...they all looked at me like I was nuts.

First time Mom took us to WDW, we were on a relatively tight dining budget but she promised we could each have one ice cream from the carts per day. Somehow that has since morphed into a requirement that everyone's going to stop and get an ice cream on every day of the trip. Last time my brother was on a trip with us he actually insisted that we stop at an ice cream cart on the way to dinner because we'd forgotten to fill our ice cream quota.

I don't really have many onsite traditions, but, when we first went to WDW in 1983 we left home early in the morning and after 100 miles we stopped at a McD and had an Egg McMuffin. That became a tradition that I still do when on a road trip to WDW. I live in NC now so I don't go the 100 miles I just stop and get one on my way out of town.

When we traveled as a family for some reason we always made a stop at the South Carolina Visitors Station and took pictures in front of the Welcome to South Carolina sign. Now that I travel alone I don't do that part anymore, but the McD one stuck. That is how I start the trip to Florida and start the trip back home. I somehow feel that the fact that we always did that was what made it so it almost never rained when we were there and the weather was always good on the way back home (originally Vermont in February).

I know that the first park we went to was MK, but, that was 32 years ago and frankly I don't remember the first ride I was on, so that was not a thing that I could duplicate. I do, however, have to have a Mickey Bar each day of the trip regardless of what park I'm in. That is pretty much it. Since I have been 45 times I know exactly what attractions I want to see so I just concentrate on those and move on.

The only other thing is that I always have a car, whether I drove do Florida or flew in. If I stay offsite or on, it doesn't matter, I need to have my vehicle for many reasons, but, I did find out that if I don't go to MK via the parking lot, tram to TTA then the ferry or monorail to MK that it's like I'm not even there. The first part of that experience is an embedded part of my memory and it just isn't the same going by bus. I miss seeing the park getting larger as I get closer to it. It's as much a part of it for me as Pirates or any other attraction. It sets my mood and on a clear day, I just soak it all in.

Three that come to mind. We always get pizza from Papa Johns on 192 to eat the in room. We always do a count down from 1,2,3 We're back! when we drive onto property and 3,2,1 See you real soon when we leave. Not only when we first arrive, but every time in and out of WDW. Our newest will be a stop at Chipolte when we we go to Universal. We found one that is fairly easy to get to and must have ate there 5 times our last trip. Back in the real world, the closest one we have is 1 1/2 hr away.

Although I've been considering getting a bigger one this next trip. Wonder if that counts as my "person item" if I can't fit it in my carry on.
LOL Was considering a Duffy since DH is leaving a couple days before me.

LOL, go for it! My DD 11 got the super-sized Stitch and carried it and her backpack on the plane with no problems. I was worried all the way right up to the gate, tho.

It's so great, reading all these traditions and about the things people hold dear. Now it will be part of my tradition to take some time while I'm people watching, to remind myself that there's more going on than meets the eye. Quirks and all!

That said, we never go to a park on arrival day. Filling our refillable mugs for the first time, claiming our seats at the pool, and taking that first sip, all says, "We're baaa-aack! "

Balloon question:
What happens when you get to the airport with balloons?

One time when we visited a little girl walked up to my DD as we exited the plane into the airport and gave her her Mylar balloon and told her to have a great vacation! My DD was SO excited and the little girl was beaming too! When we left 1 week later we paid it forward and gave the balloon to a child as they left the plane. It was the gift that just kept on giving!

Some of our traditions:
- Design your own pasta at Art of Animation the night we arrive.
- First and last days at MK
- Caramel, peanut apples. So excited that these are now part of the dining plan snacks!
- Call my cousin while riding 'it's a small world'
- Toss a coin into the water near China while riding 'it's a small world'
- cry, skip, dance or any combination of these 3 down Main Street!
- look at my DD and realize how blessed we are to be at Disney! Soak in every possible moment together!!

Last edited:
We drive, and we put our Mickey/Minnie/Goofy ears on as soon as we drive under the WDW sign.

Half day in the MK on the day we leave for home.

And I always cry when we drive away from the resort on the last day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter