Wegmans food stores

I miss Wegman's! It was one of our favorite things about living in Central NY. I get emailing them asking them to come to FL. They would give yucky Publix a run for their money!

I always found their prices competitive. Could I find a couple of things cheaper if I drove around, probably, but not worth the time or gas to me. Great, local produce. So fresh. Very helpful staff, clean, great selections. When my Dmom and Dsis would visit from LI, they would insist on an outing to Wegman's.

Try it. You will love it!

garnet1240 said:
Born and raised here in Rochester NY..love Wegmans ...have been going all my life..best produce, best prepared foods...you can find anything there...my only problem is the stores have gotten too big! I do miss the smaller wegmans of years ago...

I was born in Rochester NY. I wonder, do you know which was the first store? We are talking 50 years ago here folks. We used to shop at it when it was a little tiny thing on Dewey Ave? Not sure if that was the street or not. Then they expanded it to what was then, a Mega Store. Seemed like the biggest place in the world to this kid. I left Rochester around 1967. :sunny: Thanks!

Muushka said:
I was born in Rochester NY. I wonder, do you know which was the first store? We are talking 50 years ago here folks. We used to shop at it when it was a little tiny thing on Dewey Ave? Not sure if that was the street or not. Then they expanded it to what was then, a Mega Store. Seemed like the biggest place in the world to this kid. I left Rochester around 1967. :sunny: Thanks!

I think you might be referring to the Driving Park store. It is still open and by far our smallest store right now. It is at Driving Park and Dewey Ave. You should come back for a visit!

We love Wegmans - do most of our shopping there. Great health food/organic sections. (I will shop one other store for sales only that I know bea Wegmans that week.)

I will agree to avoid the prepared stuff as that is high. I buy pies and baked goods elsewhere - and if the store has a Patisserie(sp?) watch out!!!

My biggest complaint has already been mentioned: they will push other brands out in order to push their own brands. Their PR will tell you it is because the name brands did not sell, but from some of the products I have seen dropped and replaced with Wegmans - that can't always be true. I am a brand name snob, but I have tried many Wegmans products and don't care for them, especially given the price. I would rather have a choice, instead of them pulling a brand and putting the Wegmans product in its place. I told a Wegmans rep once that if I wanted a "no name brand" I would sop at Aldis - I really don't like the choice taken away from me like that.

Other than this one point though I do like Wegmans overall! :sunny:

I would love to get a Trader Joe's though!!!!!!!!!!

I miss Wegman's SOOOO much! They have great prices, they are clean and their baked goods are to die for.

Also, a lot of their store brands are better than the national brands. We really like their speghetti sauces, W-Pop, and ice creams.

In fact I'll be up in NJ in a few weeks and then am driving home to FL, and plan on stopping at Wegman's on the way to pick up some stuff.

Anne

I also do most of my shopping at Wegman's! They have the best prices on milk. THeir produce is the best in my area, with competive prices. Their meats are very high, I usually only buy their ground beef (90%) and their boneless chicken cutlets, when those are on sale, the prices are great. They have a very good bakery, and sub shop. Their chinese food I find very expensive for what it is. I do wish they carried more national brands, especially where bread is concerned. I find most of their grocery products cheaper than my shoprite, but shoprite has a much larger variety. You can't beat their customer service, and the kid center is awesome. THey have had 2 liter coke on sale for .79 for the longest time. Guess where I am bringing most of my free coke coupons!! They also do have a great organic section.

Another hometowner here from Rochester and as the other poster mentioned, Wegmans is not just a store here, it is a family. :)

I shop there for everything I can, even though Aldi's or Walmart may be cheaper, I am trying my best to support the local economy and you really can't get better than Wegmans. My favorite area is Nature's Marketplace and I'm thrilled that they are selling their own brand of organic and soy milk!

You're from NJ-- you are talking about the Cherry Hill store right?

I'm not far from there. Wegmans while fancy, has better prices than Shoprite, Acme or even BJ's. Yes, BJ's wholesale club.

For example 2 percent milk. I don't do organic milk, but its just regular 2 percent milk. These are gallon prices.

Acme 2.89
Shoprite (Cherry Hill Shoprite) sometimes on sale for 2/5 but I don't like the fact that I have to buy 2. I feel forced into buying something I don't need.
Usual price around 2.69
BJ's 2.42

WEGMANS- 2.29

Yogurt same thing. The Dannon fruit on the bottom regular 6 oz yogurts are the cheapest at Wegmans. At Wegmans, its only 40 cents compared to 43 cent at BJ's (and again forced to buy a huge amount)

The Cherry Hill Wegmans as well as the Mt. Laurel/Moorestown one takes Shoprite coupons. So, if you kept your Shoprite mailer of $5 off 40 that can be used there. This mailer also had free product coupons, you can use those there as well.

Wegmans also does true doubles on coupons. I had a 75 cent coupon for cereal. I was thinking that they would only double to a dollar. They did a true double of 1.50.

The other thing that makes Wegmans expensive is all the extras that you cant find anywhere. I bypass all the fancy stuff and go right to the groceries.

disneysteve said:
I actually just learned of this today and haven't checked into it myself. I plan to ask next time I'm there.

Here's how to price match for Shoprite coupons. I've done it a ton at Mt Laurel and at Cherry Hill.

Wegmans will only take the coupons that are in the front of the flier or the mailer you get.

Wegmans has a little scanner sheet that they use that has the Shoprite price barcoded. The cashier scans that and then overrides the price. Occasionally at Cherry Hill the cashier doesn't know what is going on, and needs a head cashier to assist them. Since this store just opened up last week, I understand that.

I usually save my Shoprite things for the end of the order to assist the cashier. I tell the cashier that these things are Shoprite items.

I love Wegmans! :love: They have spoiled me for grocery shopping any place else. Fresh everything, friendly employees, customer service! I enjoy browsing around the international and organic sections. It's a great place to go to get out of a cooking rut! Their brand name items I've tried so far have been very good. Pricewise they're either the same or less as other stores for what I buy. You could spend a fortune there if you had no self control though! Target is usually cheaper than the grocery stores for cereal, crackers, snack items, but I've gotten the same sales at Wegmans too. And they give back to the community. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the tip re: the Shoprite coupons at Wegmans. Sounds like a bunch of you live right in my area. I take Haddonfield Rd. past the new Cherry Hill store everyday as I drive to and from work. My DH checked out the new store yesterday since he had a day off. He bought a bunch of the sale items, but did not try any of the "specialty" things. I plan to wait a little while before I venture in, to avoid all the grand opening crowds.

I drive 50 miles round trip every week just to shop at Wegman's! I adore the place! It's not just grocery shopping, it's an experience! Too bad mine doesn't double coupons.

I should probably read the responses to this thread before I post because I am sure someone has already made the following points but:

Wegman's has an AWESOME selection... expecially for healthfood nuts like me! Their organic/whole foods section is second to only Whole Foods (which we have here in Chicago), and from what I've heard/read... Wegman's is an incredible company to work for and they do a lot for their communities.

My only regret about Wegman's is that they don't have them here in the midwest. I have to go back to where I was born (the town of Corning, NY) to shop there!

Oh, and I also remember reading a few years ago in Child or Parents magazine that Wegman's is also rated the MOST kid friendsly place to grocery shop. :)

JoiseyMom said:
THey have had 2 liter coke on sale for .79 for the longest time. Guess where I am bringing most of my free coke coupons!!
Of course, it doesn't matter how much they charge if you are using your free coupons. Actually, both times I used my coupons at Wegman's, they couldn't figure out how to ring them up. One time, I actually ended up paying 5 cents/bottle because she did it wrong. But the other time, I came out a couple of dollars ahead because she took off too much, even though I tried to explain what she needed to do.

Sorry for the OT.

Cindy B - Thanks for the price match info.

brymolmom said:
I think you might be referring to the Driving Park store. It is still open and by far our smallest store right now. It is at Driving Park and Dewey Ave. You should come back for a visit!

Yes, that is the one we used to shop at. I remember the old one had it's front door on Dewey Ave. And this "new one :rotfl2: " (to me anyway!) is their smallest?? Things do change.

My sister still lives in Rochester. I usually meet her in RI, my other former home state!

Boy, I go to bed for the night and come back to 3 pages! :teeth:

Sounds like I'll be heading to Wegman's today to check it out. And for those in the area, I am referring to the Cherry Hill store. I'm about 5 minutes away. We need a Dis food shopping meet! :drive: (I've been looking for a reason to use that smilie...)

Prepared food/ "gourmet-ish" type food is a budget buster for me, so I'll have to try to behave in there. One reason I shop at Aldi's-very little temptation.

Thanks Cindy B. for the coupon information. Now, I have to find the shop rite flyer somewhere in the recycling pile.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information!

DisDee said:
Thanks for the tip re: the Shoprite coupons at Wegmans. Sounds like a bunch of you live right in my area. I take Haddonfield Rd. past the new Cherry Hill store everyday as I drive to and from work. My DH checked out the new store yesterday since he had a day off. He bought a bunch of the sale items, but did not try any of the "specialty" things. I plan to wait a little while before I venture in, to avoid all the grand opening crowds.

There are no grand opening crowds! Seriously, it was fine opening day. My DH went this AM and it was fine no crowds.

You can also not go Haddonfield Rd. You can go Rt. 70 towards Philly, and take the jughandle that is near the car dealers. (I think its Grove st, Haddonfield Rd) Take that jughandle and go straight to the Traffic light. That traffic light is Haddonfield Rd. Wait for it to turn green. You will be right at Wegmans.

Cindy B said:
There are no grand opening crowds! Seriously, it was fine opening day. My DH went this AM and it was fine no crowds.
I was wondering about that since the Mt. Laurel store opened not long ago and many from Cherry Hill have gone up to that one. I live in Cherry Hill and it takes me no more than 12 minutes door to door from my house to the Mt. Laurel store, so it isn't that far away. The Cherry Hill store is closer in miles but not much closer in travel time.

We have two Wegman's within 20 miles of us. I Love the store!!!!! The one in Corning opened first and so I would drive the 20 miles to shop. When they opened the one here in Elmira, I was in heaven!!!! Their bakery is heavenly and I like that they bake their breads right on site!!! Their meat is a little more expensive but it is a great deal when you buy the bigger packages. I have never had to return any meat because it was spoiled or old as I have in the Tops store that is here.
I went last nite to get my dad's groceries and he likes Wegman's brand of OJ. They were out of the extra pulp so the dairy manager gave me Tropicana for the price of the Wegman's brand. They are very helpful in that way.
My son and daughter-in-law are now living in Charlotte NC from Rochester and the only thing they miss is WEGMAN's!!!! When they come up for a visit, they pack 2 HUGE coolers full to take home. They are hoping that Wegman's will open a store in Charlotte very soon.
Go and check them out. You will not be disappointed.

PS. Their seafood is Excellent!!!!!! pixiedust:

Cindy B said:
There are no grand opening crowds!

I remember when the very first Wegmans opened in NJ just north of Princeton--what a MOB SCENE!!! I think every person who had moved to NJ from NY or PA descended on that store on opening day. We were there around 5:00pm after a lot of the hubub had calmed down and saw Danny Wegman straightening cans on a shelf!

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter