Week of Oct 23 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Melissa, great pic. I bet he was so happy. Hope you find that baby sitter.

Sara, hope you can get it all cleared up soon.

Helen, good luck.

Thank you all for your encouragement. I went to the gym today because it was rainy here. I did 6 miles on TM and kept it at 15 min mile pace. Wanted to go longer but DH was ready to leave and so I did. Glad I stopped early b/c new shoes were a bit bothersome anyway. Not sure if I need to return the shoes or work it out a bit more b/c ot the heel issues. Going to ortho tomorrow eve. Will see. He is NOT allowed to tell me to stop.

lacool - Sending :grouphug: your way. So sorry for your loss!

Melissa - I LOVE the pictures! Your boy looks so much like my sister's boy. He is a cutie! Good luck on the 15 miles!

I have been in the mountains @ my grandmothers house. Was supposed to take the girls mountain biking Monday. (Would have attached the little bike things on the back of the bikes so they could "ride" too.) A beautiful ride. 17+ miles down the side of a mountain....but not too steep. Anyway...it was raining and sleeting a little so that was out. I would have gone but did not have anything to do with them and they are not evil queen as of yet. They are still very sweet princess: princess:. Anyway...the sun did come out b/4 we left for home and they got to fish a little. May post pictures if I get them from my sis and can figure out how to post them. DH can help.
I also did nothing running wise and ate like a cow! So I will have to step it up today a little...well maybe. Does heavy eating count as xtraining? :teeth:

Later...Christa

Hi Everyone!

Thanks to whoever posted that Billy Blanks quote--I needed that!

I have been getting in a better groove with the runs. Due to my busy schedule this week I have to switch my training around and do my LR today--8 miles. I am staying positive! Its also finally cooled down so I am excited to not sweat to death. Runs are so much easier in cool weather. I will also be experimenting with a gel for the first time today. I'll take it half way through--is that how its done??

If you haven't signed up for the Cliff Bar pacing groups--do it! I got a bunch of free samples mailed to me!

Other than that, not much to report. Stay strong everyone

Nothing new to report here. I have slept in the past few days and skipped my workouts. Maybe tonight I will get those steps in.

One thing I forgot to post about my 7 mile LR this weekend. I did 1/2 the 1/2 in 1:30 so I am on pace to finish the 1/2 marathon in 3:00! That would be a dream come true for me. :cheer2: Okay, I guess I better get my body out and run tonight. :rolleyes:

Leigh Ann- So sorry to hear about your dad. :grouphug:

Helen- We will be cheering you on this weekend! You can do it! :cheer2:

chimera said:
Cam...have you heard anything on the SAT scores yet?

Thanks for asking, Mel! And thanks to everyone who sent :goodvibes: and :wizard:. The results came out yesterday, and although they meet the minimum of her university of choice based on the old scoring system, the university has recently significantly upped its requirements. She was extremely disappointed because she'll have to sit for them again on 11/5 as a walk-in. We are doing everything we can to keep her positive -- I thought she was going to have a melt-down yesterday and completely paralyze herself for gearing up to do it again. I think she is doing okay now, but with a 17 year old girl, sometimes it's hard to distinguish between drama and panic. I don't think she is suited to applying "early decision" but it is what she is doing anyway, so if you guys could keep the :goodvibes: and :wizard: coming, I'd really, really appreciate it. :grouphug: You guys are the best!

Well, I did the 40 minutes last night on the TM because of torrential rain (now I am really wishing I'd bought that water repellent running jacket at EMS this past weekend when it was 20% off clearance! :sad: Did 2.7 in 40 minutes (14:49 pace). This Saturday is 5 mile LW and the weather is looking better. WOOHOO!!!

BTW -- when I leave work too tired to workout or want to sleep in on a Saturday morning instead of doing the LW, I keep thinking about Lily telling us we have to get in the steps and I think about all the discipline and training of all my "training buddies" here and I am so incredibly motivated. It is still hard for me to believe how much support and encouragement you all provide. Thank you so much!

kaf7878 said:
Hi Everyone!

Thanks to whoever posted that Billy Blanks quote--I needed that!

You can always count on me to bring Billy Blanks into it. He's my hero :love:

Cam-- :grouphug: and :wizard: for DD. The college app process is soooo stressful.

Heather-- dreams do come true :goodvibes You'll do it :cheer2:

I did 7.3 miles on the TM last night. Hit a nice piece of nirvana :goodvibes

Sunny

Went to the chiro again last night and was in too much pain to train once again. He did xrays this time and found a twist in my 3rd vertebrae that lead to a pinched sciatica nerve. He adjusted that and then did an ultrasound on my hip area down my thigh. I was okay for a couple hours and then the pain was back as it is again today.

I am not sure quite what to do at this point :confused3 . Do you think I could take a couple Aleve and keep training through the pain?? I really hate to loose all this valuable training time :guilty:

I am doing the big happy dance--but in such a hurry that I'm doing quick reply, otherwise a banana would be inserted......HERE!!!!

Saw the orthapedist today. Not a Dr. McDreamy (if you watch Gray's Anatomy--you'll know!!!!)...but not too shabby looking.

Any who--he was trying to figure out how to get me fixed for the marathon in January....I have a BIG tear. Yowzers! Anywho--I am on the surgical schedule for tomorrow to get the sucker cut away. 24 hours off the leg and then after that it is all about pain tolerance as the swelling goes down and such. But as soon as I feel able, I am back on two feet running again. Cycling until then. I am green lighted for whichever race--but whichever race I can tolerate, that is!

Toodles...one last stint on the treadmill for good measure. :)

Doing the happy dance!!!

Minnie said:
Went to the chiro again last night and was in too much pain to train once again. He did xrays this time and found a twist in my 3rd vertebrae that lead to a pinched sciatica nerve. He adjusted that and then did an ultrasound on my hip area down my thigh. I was okay for a couple hours and then the pain was back as it is again today.

I am not sure quite what to do at this point :confused3 . Do you think I could take a couple Aleve and keep training through the pain?? I really hate to loose all this valuable training time :guilty:

Real quick--you'll have to ask your doctor. Some pain you can train through---some you can't. You need to know if your training will cause further damage. If not--then probably safe to train with what you can tolerate. Ask your chiro and see what he says.

:)

Lisa - I am so happy that you will be cleared for the marathon :cheer2: fof you!!!!! Here's a bunch of :wizard: for a quick recovery!

Thank you for the advise. I made another chiro apt for today where he'll do an additional ultrasound on the area once again. I'll ask him about the training though he is puzzled as to why the pain has not gone away. He's puzzled :earseek: that's not quite the word I'd use anymore :rotfl:

On the positive side I have plans to see a pt this weekend who is the triathalete I spoke of before. Hopefully she will have some suggestions!

Thanks everyone for your condolences. Dad died of lung cancer, only a week and a half after being diagnosed. I would much rather that he passed that way, than suffered in pain for any length of time.

Back on topic, I did 3 miles yesterday and 10 today. I am supposed to rest the day before and day after my LR, but since I am behind schedule I skipped the day of rest. By the time I hit 8 miles, my legs were complaining about missing that day.

On the bright side, I did some unexpected training. I ran one block off the ocean, by some million dollar homes, many of which were having work done. I had my choice of port-a-potties, which came in handy around mile 6. I found the one with the least amount of scary workmen nearby. :rolleyes1

Hi, everyone! Was scheduled for 40 minutes cross training today. Ended up riding the recumbent bike for 60 minutes because my book was so intriguing!

Have a great night,all!

I am severly lacking time tonight. Everyone shuold have gotten payment info pms. letem know if you didn't. I'll likely be gone until Thursday, but will get back with yuo then.

Lisa - Prayers that everything goes well tomorrow and you recover quickly! What he lacks in looks he certainly made up for in scheduling! ;)

lacool - My condolences to you and your family. I'm glad your Dad didn't suffer.

Lisa - ouch! Good luck with the surgery. Hope everything goes well.

I did my stint on the exercise bike again tonight. 60 minutes. Had planned to try a yoga workout, but couldn't get the DVD player to work. Will have to get that fixed.

Terri

Well I did my 8 mile LR last night and it was awesome!!! The weather has finally cooled down and that made a HUGE difference. After last weeks 7 mile stonker I was nervouse about pushing to 8 but I felt great the entire run.

I even incorporated a Chocolate Powergel half way through. Hello--why didn't anyone tell me these tasted like choc frosting??? Yum!

Has anyone tried the Clif Shot Blocks yet? I was wondering how those were too.

Just 2 miles to do tonight (yeah!) so I might incorporate some yoga afterwards.

Stopping in to whine about no food, no drinks, no nothing via mouth today!!!

But woohoo--they are going to fix my knee...YIPPEE SKIPPY!!!!

Hi all !
I cant believe I just ordered my marathon shirt. :Pinkbounc It's getting soooo close I can't wait.

I did xt yesterday pilates & WATP 3 mile tape. Today is a 40 min walk, probably at the track at DH work. I have to take DS to preschool, work at other DS library(across town) squeeze in walk, pick up DS from preschool, pick up other DS from school, we have 30 min to get homework done & then a Halloween party from 4-6. AHHH! This is my exciting, crazy week. Something every day. But I'm proud I'm not using it as an excuse not to exercise. That is getting priority! I also eat less when I'm busy, so that's good!

DH thinks you guys are costing him way too much. As if this running/walking thing wasnt expensive enough (did I mention I need another pair of shoes & some cold weather walking clothes) but now looking into doing the Tri & he's seen how much bikes cost. Even the low end ones, holy cow!

I found a Tri near me that would be perfect to start out on. It's in Nashville (1 1/2 hr away) & it's called Try-A-Tri . Very inviting for beginners. 200m swim in a pool, 8.5 mile bike & 2 mile run. I think I may go for that one if I dont think I can make it back to Orlando in May. I was very excited when I found it. Our city has one but it is further, has time constraints & doesnt seem as welcoming for newbies.

Sorry to go on so long. I am just getting very excited about all of this. :banana: Even considering a Tri is a huge deal for this former couch tater.

Oh & I found some cheap, thin gloves for walking from Target. Set of 2 for $1.49. One pair pink the other----lime green!

Lisa -- I am thinking about you today and wishing you the best!

Tiff -- That Tri sounds perfect! Your schedule today sounds like perfect cross-training for something like that! :teeth:

Carrie -- Thanks again for managing everything with the shirts. I can't even imagine how time consuming it has been and will be for you.

Okay, ready for another one of those strange "Cam questions"? I am scheduled for a 5mile LW on Saturday but am also hoping to do a 5K walk for Toys for Tots on Sunday. Does anyone forsee any problem with this? I could skip my walk on Monday to get in a rest day. Do you think that would be okay?

Lisa - You are in my prayers today. Hope to hear soon that your surgery went well!

TiffJ - I just got a double pack of red retro striped and one red pair of gloves. Sadly, that excited me :flower:

Still no firm baby sitter for the trail run this we. I have a backup plan I am going to try today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter