Wedding in September or in March?

Alexsandra

Ready for the next adventure
Hi guys, after being married for almost 15 years, my husband and I decided to finally renew our vows. We had discussed doing it for our 10 year anniversary alone with our two boys but after calculating the cost and not being able to get what I really wanted without financial strain we decided to forget the whole thing.

We almost planned a last minute vow renewal on the beach on our Family vacation in Hawaii two years ago but I ended up backing out again. I finally realized that I didn’t want to do a rushed vow renewal. I wanted time to plan and really enjoy the experience. I was also lying to myself and my husband about not wanting to share this special event with my family. I wanted mom and dad to be there as well as my parents-in-law who I am very close to. I also want my sister there with her family. I wanted my nephew and niece to participate in the ceremony.

Anyway to get to the point, we decided to do this at Disney and to invite the family. Since we live in Canada we will need to factor in the cost of flying down.
At first my husband wasn’t too crazy about pulling the kids out of school and mentioned doing this in the summer. But after giving it some thought I realized that I am not doing Disney with a large group in the summer with the crowds and heat!:scared:

So that leaves Early Spring and the Fall. Winter weather is just too unpredictable, Christmas break is too expensive.

Ideally I would have chosen October, April or Mai but unfortunately, I cannot take off work at those times of year which sucks.

So after discussing it with hubby, we came to the realization that September 2020 would be a good time to go since it is one of the cheapest time of year for flights and for room rates. September is right at the beginning of the school year so the kids don’t miss important tests. Plus WDW has lower crowd levels and usually offers deals in the fall which is great for our guest. My favourite part is that Disney parks are decorated with Halloween decoration and we could attend MNSSHP. Plus It is still warm enough to still enjoy the pools. The big hiccup is that it is hurricane season!!! Always a risk! I went to Disney in September 3 times in the past and never encountered really bad weather other than a few afternoon showers.

Another option is Canadian March Break which falls on the first week of March 2020. We would have to fly out 3-4 days before that because flight at that time of year are quite expensive and leaving earlier will save a few hundred $$. The good thing is that the kids would miss little school and March is free of hurricanes and has a lot less rain than September. Unfortunately, The last 2 times I traveled to Orlando at that time of year we had mixed weather. We experienced a lot of days of really chilly weather mixed with a couple of days of really hot weather. The other downside is that the parks are busier and it is a lot more expensive. That means our guest will have to spend a lot more money on flights, rooms and food.

Which season do you think would be better for an outdoor vow renewal?

Last edited:
This is tough. September is HOT and it does rain every afternoon, so I definitely recommend picking the earliest ceremony time available. March weather might be better, but as you say, it's also unpredictable. And the crowds and the prices will add insult to injury if it does happen to be hot when you get there. From the way you've described the pro and cons, it sounds like September has more pros for you. So I guess I'd say, if you're prepared to deal with the heat and humidity, September might be the better choice for you!

This is tough. September is HOT and it does rain every afternoon, so I definitely recommend picking the earliest ceremony time available. March weather might be better, but as you say, it's also unpredictable. And the crowds and the prices will add insult to injury if it does happen to be hot when you get there. From the way you've described the pro and cons, it sounds like September has more pros for you. So I guess I'd say, if you're prepared to deal with the heat and humidity, September might be the better choice for you![/QUOTE

I spoke to my sis yesterday and asked her if September would be ok for her to come. She just bought a new home and will be moving in and renovating at that time so will not be able to attend at that time. She said she might be able to come in March depending on how much it will cost.

I really want my sis to come but realize it is a possibility that she will not be able to attend even if I switch the dates to March. I won’t lie, I’m a little bummed out. I don’t know if I should do this in March just in case she comes or stick to September to keep costs low for my other guests???

Oops, I don’t know why my reply did not work. Here it is again:

I spoke to my sis yesterday and asked her if September would be ok for her to come. She just bought a new home and will be moving in and renovating at that time so will not be able to attend at that time. She said she might be able to come in March depending on how much it will cost.

I really want my sister to come with her kids but realize it is a possibility that she might not be able to attend even if I switch my dates to March. I won’t lie I am really bummed out. Should I switch my vow renewal to March just in case or should I keep September to make it affordable for my other guests.

If she might not even attend in March then I wouldn’t change it for just her. It’s not her vow renewal, I know that sounds harsh I’m not trying to be I promise. One of my sisters is similar in if you try to include her it ultimately depends on if her husband is home or not so I’ve learned to live with the thought of “if she comes great if not that’s fine too”. Just do what makes you happy.

Sounds like sis can’t commit regardless of date. I know u want her and her kids but looks like you either accept that it’s quite likely they won’t be there or plan everything around her in the “hopes” she may come.
I’m thinking .. plan without her, your dates etc and Enjoy the entire process rather than get mired down in maybes and I don’t knows...
Happy planning and Congrats in advance!

If she might not even attend in March then I wouldn’t change it for just her. It’s not her vow renewal, I know that sounds harsh I’m not trying to be I promise. One of my sisters is similar in if you try to include her it ultimately depends on if her husband is home or not so I’ve learned to live with the thought of “if she comes great if not that’s fine too”. Just do what makes you happy.
I totally get what you mean. If i wait or change my plans each time a person is not happy with the outcome I will never get to do this vow renewal. I compromised so much on my wedding 15 years ago because I was young and my parents helped pay for part of the wedding that i felt like I couldn't speak up and voice my opinion. I am 40 now and I need to stand my ground!

Sounds like sis can’t commit regardless of date. I know u want her and her kids but looks like you either accept that it’s quite likely they won’t be there or plan everything around her in the “hopes” she may come.
I’m thinking .. plan without her, your dates etc and Enjoy the entire process rather than get mired down in maybes and I don’t knows...
Happy planning and Congrats in advance!
I know you're right of course! Thank you! :thumbsup2

I think March would be much better weather wise. It might be a little hot, but September will be fires of hell hot and afternoon thunderstorms are pretty much the norm every day. Unless all your wedding activities are inside I would stay far away from September.

I think March would be much better weather wise. It might be a little hot, but September will be fires of hell hot and afternoon thunderstorms are pretty much the norm every day. Unless all your wedding activities are inside I would stay far away from September.
That is true! September can be hot, hot, hot! But beginning March can sometimes be really cool. We just got back from our March vacation and we had 2 days were it was 55 degrees. It was cold. I needed my jacket. That kind of sucks when you are wearing a sleeveless dress. However it is usually sunnier on average with no chance of hurricanes ruining the whole trip. Plus, my sister might be able to come if i move it to March. Definitely something to think about!

we've gone the end of february/beginning of march the past two years and have spent 80 degree days by the pool, it really is hit or miss. i would see if your dates line up with mardi gras, we left right before that and it was definitely getting busier from local schools having break. I liked a previous posters idea that if you do september to consider an early ceremony to avoid weather - to expand on that, maybe think about what kind of ceremony/reception you're imagining to help highlight what month might be better.

What works best for YOU? Don't worry too much about other people and flights. The ones that really want to be there will make it happen to the best of their ability. You are planning YOUR vow renewal and it sounds like, based on what you said about your wedding, really focus on what you two want.
Weather is unpredictable, period. What weather would you best be able to deal with?

I had a trip planned in early September and we had to reschedule to the end of October because of a major hurricane. I was once in WDW when a bad hurricane went up the whole east coast and the weather in Florida was wonderful. Most hurricanes don't affect WDW too much, only ... 2-ish? has made Disney shut down. The more major concern for travelers are flight cancellations.

I've been in March as well and I loved the weather, the Flower and Garden Festival is also going on. We live up in Minnesota and know that snow/weather can still affect travel during that time, which is similar to hurricanes. It will be cooler than September but not near as cold as January.

Disney does release discount promotions for the spring as well as for the fall :)

So, could you handle the sweltering heat/humidity or the possible cold? Do you want Halloween decorations or flowers/gardening?

What works best for YOU? Don't worry too much about other people and flights. The ones that really want to be there will make it happen to the best of their ability. You are planning YOUR vow renewal and it sounds like, based on what you said about your wedding, really focus on what you two want.
Weather is unpredictable, period. What weather would you best be able to deal with?

I had a trip planned in early September and we had to reschedule to the end of October because of a major hurricane. I was once in WDW when a bad hurricane went up the whole east coast and the weather in Florida was wonderful. Most hurricanes don't affect WDW too much, only ... 2-ish? has made Disney shut down. The more major concern for travelers are flight cancellations.

I've been in March as well and I loved the weather, the Flower and Garden Festival is also going on. We live up in Minnesota and know that snow/weather can still affect travel during that time, which is similar to hurricanes. It will be cooler than September but not near as cold as January.

Disney does release discount promotions for the spring as well as for the fall :)

So, could you handle the sweltering heat/humidity or the possible cold? Do you want Halloween decorations or flowers/gardening?
You are totally right. I know weather can be unpredictable and like you said I could get one of those bad Canadian snowstorm here and even my March flights may be cancelled.

I guess I prefer September than March just because I love Halloween at WDW. I can even push back my trip to end of September/beginning of October when the temperatures are a little more manageable (not by much). Since our original plan was to do a vow renewal in Hawaii, I had planned a Boho Tropical theme for my vow renewal I even purchase my wedding dress for it. The dress is better suited for a beach wedding. It is backless, has spaghetti straps, a lace bust and an organza bottom. So I think that the warmer weather is better for the kind of ceremony we want to have. Here is a picture of of a wedding dress almost identical to mine. The lace at the top is different.

77eaba41a1e032fbf197ecc40e7b58aa.jpg

Plus my husband really wants to stay at the Polynesian. I think with the hot weather we will be more inclined to really take advantage of the resort pools and grounds. I do enjoying taking afternoon breaks anyway. I've been to Disney so many times I feel like I've done most of the rides anyway.

And like you said, I can't plan around others. If they want to really be there they will find a way. My mom and dad already said they would attend for sure and I am pretty sure my parents-in-law will be there too. For the rest of the family, we will just have to wait and see.

Thanks for your help;)

I would definitely try to push for late September to have the weather be a little bit more stable and if you love Halloween that seems like a perfect time.
And if you wanted a beach wedding, I say wedding at Shipwreck Beach / Crescent Cove it is :D And then to the Polynesian to have drinks / food at one of the bars.

I would definitely try to push for late September to have the weather be a little bit more stable and if you love Halloween that seems like a perfect time.
And if you wanted a beach wedding, I say wedding at Shipwreck Beach / Crescent Cove it is :D And then to the Polynesian to have drinks / food at one of the bars.
Ohhh, I like it! Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup2

I go to Disney in September and I am pretty sensitive to heat but I am still okay. I usually just don't go park commando all day and I go back to the hotel if it's really hot and it's totally fine. I think I would want to go back to the hotel for a break even if I went during a less hot time of year. There's been a few times when I got a little grouchy waiting for a bus at an unshaded bus depot but I still go back every September :) It sounds like you are familiar with what to expect, since you have been to Disney in September too. Even with the heat, it's my favorite time to go — I like that it's a little less crowded and hotels are cheaper, but it still has Food & Wine.

I would definitely second lurkyloo's suggestion of having the ceremony in the morning, though, so any guests that didn't like the heat could go back to their hotel room for the hottest part of the day. It also seems like the afternoon is when it tends to rain, too.

The thing I would worry about is hurricanes. In 2017 we barely got out of there before Irma, it was a little stressful. I can imagine it would be even more stressful if I had paid a lot of money for a vow renewal! That didn't keep me from going back in September 2018 or planning a trip for September 2019, of course, and I don't think it would keep me from planning an event in September if that's what I really wanted. But it's definitely something to think about.

I would definitely pay attention to what you really want and do that, because you still feel like you weren't able to do that at your wedding and this is your chance to have an event that is really "you"! Don't try to make everybody else happy with the date because if you keep on putting it off and trying to find the perfect date for everyone you'll never do it. Just focus on having a wonderful day that will be something you will be happy with for years to come, and the people that really matter will be there.

If I were you, I would plan a vow renewal close to home so the family could all attend. Then I would plan a Disney trip for just DH and I, or perhaps with the kids but without the extended family. The timing of the Disney trip would then be solely about you and your family and there would be a lot less stress planning for it. Congrats on your anniversary!

Reading through old threads and I kept thinking, no! Events in Sept 2020 will be cancelled!! If you went through with your plan, I hope you chose March, literally the week before the shutdown, or were able to reschedule!!

Reading through old threads and I kept thinking, no! Events in Sept 2020 will be cancelled!! If you went through with your plan, I hope you chose March, literally the week before the shutdown, or were able to reschedule!!
Finally after speaking to my family, most could not attend so my husband I decided to wait it out. Thank goodness or I would have been stuck with the whole covid-19 nightmare. It was a blessing in disguise. We actually went to Disney on vacation instead. I left end of Feb and flew home beginning of March just before the pandemic hit and we had to isolate. We were so lucky that no one got sick. I am still planning a vow renewal but it will only happen once it is safe to travel again. I did buy Carry's book on Fairytale Weddings so it is keeping me busy. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!