Wedding Gift for Niece?

JustAnotherMinnie

Earning My Ears
*Veteran poster with a new user name so family doesn’t see it.*

Our niece is getting married in a Northeast state. The wedding will be in a church, and the reception will be at a vineyard.

We (husband, wife, and one child) are traveling across the country to attend the wedding and reception but will not be attending any other festivities like a bridal shower.

How much is an acceptable amount to give as a wedding gift? I understand this is regional, but we don’t live in a “cover your plate” area. Just want to make sure we give an appropriate amount.

I personally would factor in you are spending a great deal of money to travel across the country - so even if it were a region they expect you to pay your way at the wedding, I would go with what you are comfortable with financially.

We had family coming from way out of town. DD and I discussed that if they made the long trek that was gift enough for her. ❤️

Northeast resident here. Depends on what you can afford.

Most of the wedding gifts to children of friends (regardless of travel) are $100-200. For someone we are really close to, $300. That's in addition to $50 or so shower gift.

My family is from rural south so following other family members actions, we might give $50-75. Kind of backwards but you have to know your audience. If we gave them $300 they would think we were being braggers.

It varies, even within the Northeast. If you are in CT, you are more apt to follow the trends of NYC than if you live in Boston or further north. Up here (in the Bangor area) $100 is considered a generous gift, and nobody turns their noses up at $50... especially if the givers have had to travel a distance and get a hotel room for a couple of nights, maybe even a rental car if they flew into the area.

Northeast resident here. Depends on what you can afford.

Most of the wedding gifts to children of friends (regardless of travel) are $100-200. For someone we are really close to, $300. That's in addition to $50 or so shower gift.

My family is from rural south so following other family members actions, we might give $50-75. Kind of backwards but you have to know your audience. If we gave them $300 they would think we were being braggers.
:rolleyes: last time I checked, everyone in the south isn't hard up. Not sure what else you could have meant, but will give the benefit of the doubt.

Our niece is getting married in a Northeast state. The wedding will be in a church, and the reception will be at a vineyard.

We (husband, wife, and one child) are traveling across the country to attend the wedding and reception but will not be attending any other festivities like a bridal shower.

How much is an acceptable amount to give as a wedding gift? I understand this is regional, but we don’t live in a “cover your plate” area. Just want to make sure we give an appropriate amount.

While you're not attending any other festivities, will you be gifting any other festivities?

If it were me, I'd gift $200-$250 to a niece for a Northeastern wedding with a vineyard reception if I was not gifting for anything else.

I’m in the northeast. I give based on my relationship with the couple & not where the wedding/ reception is being held. I have never had to travel across country for a wedding. But if I could afford it, I think I would still give the same as I would for any other niece or nephew.

Yes. I agree with all of this. We’ve only had 1 of our nieces/nephews marry so far and had a conversation at the time about what we wanted to give as it would set the precedent for the rest of the kids on both sides. There is 20+ years though between the oldest on DH’s side and the youngest on my side so might adjust a bit upwards at some point.

ETA: I meant to quote the @focusindisney post immediately above mine.

I think it depends on your financial circumstances and how close you are to the niece. We traveled to the UK last year for my nieces wedding and gave them a substantial cash gift as well. She is the last on my side of the family to get married, all 4 nephews already wed.

I'm in MA, but I honestly don't remember exactly what we gave for my niece's wedding a few years ago...and I'm willing to bet neither does she.

Whatever you feel comfortable with is fine. I would assume you've been invited because they want family around to celebrate, and that they won't be keeping score.

That said, if you really aren't sure of your own feelings, this article shows average amounts by state:
https://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/much-people-spend-wedding-gifts-state/
(It's from 2017, but I didn't see a newer one.)

Last wedding we went to was my niece (on husbands side) in October 2019. We drove, 15 hours one way. The wedding and reception was held at Mother of the Brides house. She had built a beautiful home on top a mountain that had views of the water. Wedding was a little more on the casual side. We gave, I think $175 for two adults and a child.

I’m from NJ…..since you’re not invited to bridal shower…etc, I’d say you’re fine in the $200-$300 range. I’d err on the side of $300 because it’s family.
That was my first thought, $300. I’d give more if local, especially if I didn’t give a shower gift, but travel costs…

I’m in the northeast. I give based on my relationship with the couple & not where the wedding/ reception is being held. I have never had to travel across country for a wedding. But if I could afford it, I think I would still give the same as I would for any other niece or nephew.
This is the answer. It should be based on your relationship, IMO.

I think it depends on your financial circumstances and how close you are to the niece.
Exactly. Where I'm from, my family is from or the wedding is taking place isn't as important to me - my gift is dependent upon my financial situation and my relationship w/ the bride & groom. It's my niece, we are on good terms and enjoy a good relationship then I'd probably give $500.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter