Web Site Links in New Tabs

Tom P.

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I wasn't sure which forum would be most appropriate for this. Feel free to move it if there is a better one.

I would just like to offer a comment/complaint regarding the story links on The DIS (wdwinfo.com). I strongly dislike it when sites default to opening every link clicked in a new browser tab.

Links, in my opinion, should stay within the same browser tab as long as they are part of the same site. I can understand opening a new tab if you are clicking through to a third party site, but not when you are staying within the same site. Constantly opening new tabs is irritating, keeps things less organized, and make it more difficult to navigate backward and forward through pages.

I would humbly suggest that this behavior be changed.

Thanks,
Tom

keeps things less organized

I actually would rather it open a new tab. I then can easily go back and forth while keeping both tabs open.
Me three.

I would argue that it actually keeps me far more organised as i like to stay where i was and read the link separately (either right away or at a later date)
When it redirects me, i lose where i was.

Tab_12oz.jpg

I don't like defaulting to a new tab even though that is usually what I self-select. If someone wants a new tab they can just right-click and open in a new tab.

Hate to break disagree with OP but on my laptop (MacBook - Safari) the links on wdwinfo.com open in the same browser tab. Same for Firefox. Check your browser settings. You might be able to change them.

Hate to break disagree with OP but on my laptop (MacBook - Safari) the links on wdwinfo.com open in the same browser tab. Same for Firefox. Check your browser settings. You might be able to change them.

Ditto here. I use Safari and have old ancient white MacBook.

It's best practice to keep navigation within the current tab for easy one-handed back/forth navigation. The user always has the option to force a link to open in a new tab by clicking with the middle mouse button. This practice ensures that both sides can have the user experience they desire without any compromise.

It's best practice to keep navigation within the current tab for easy one-handed back/forth navigation. The user always has the option to force a link to open in a new tab by clicking with the middle mouse button. This practice ensures that both sides can have the user experience they desire without any compromise.

well, as long as you have a middle mouse button

even if it opens in a separate tab you can just ctrl+Pg Up or Pg Down to cycle between tabs

If it is a completely separate topic/story I like new tabs - if it is just another section of a same thing (so a different forum on same board) I prefer some tab

well, as long as you have a middle mouse button

even if it opens in a separate tab you can just ctrl+Pg Up or Pg Down to cycle between tabs

If it is a completely separate topic/story I like new tabs - if it is just another section of a same thing (so a different forum on same board) I prefer some tab
Yeah I have a Mac no middle mouse button here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter