• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weather affecting park attendance?

xipotec

Grinning Ghosts
Wait times were very reasonable last night at about 8pm.
60 min for ROTR
20 for MFSR
20 for Matterhorn…

I checked the weather and saw a heat advisory for that day, temps in the 90’s….

How likely was it this was the cause?

At WDW rain definetly affects park attendance, how much of an effect does it have on DL ?

Those wait times are about normal every day. Galaxy Edge drops when the sun goes down. 20 minutes for Matterhorn is low. Maybe came back up from down time.

Be aware that quite a few guests are preparing for the three night shows during that time.

Also Sunday late night (after fireworks) are usually dead due to locals having to go back to work on Monday

Last edited:
Years ago on a week long trip in May, it was 105°+ everyday. The parks were EMPTY, it was great. I don't think weather has much of an impact with the reservation system now, though.

It does sometimes. I went one July when it was over 100 degrees and it was a complete ghost town. But 90s and now with the reservation requirement? I think people will come regardless.
Yeah. If you have a Magic Key and a reservation, you are forced to at least go to the park and scan in at the gate, otherwise you will start racking up demerits, and with enough of those they can prevent you from making more reservations.

So weather might force people to leave earlier than they intended, but it’s probably not stopping anyone from showing up.

The hot weather forecast is for today, more than yesterday.

Sunday evenings are probably the slowest times of the week.

The hot weather is keeping US away today. My kids have been asking to go one afternoon/evening this week. I was considering today. I no longer am. We will wait until Thursday.

With the proximity of our hotel ( and many others) Rain , heat etc will not stop us at all, or for very long, as we are 10 minute walk to the hotels to change clothing or cool down for an hour or so.

At WDW, you do not have that option…

With the proximity of our hotel ( and many others) Rain , heat etc will not stop us at all, or for very long, as we are 10 minute walk to the hotels to change clothing or cool down for an hour or so.

At WDW, you do not have that option…
You do at the Contemporary and the Beach Club! That is where we stayed in July 2018 and it was primarily for that quick exit back to the hotels without needing to use transportation. 😆

You do at the Contemporary and the Beach Club! That is where we stayed in July 2018 and it was primarily for that quick exit back to the hotels without needing to use transportation. 😆
Thats true! I forgot about the beach club….We used to stay at the Poly for that reason, but its not that easy to get there and back anymore……way too much monorail drama and walking the property.

How does the distance from the Beach Club club to Epcot and Hollywood Studios feel compared to say, the Disneyland Hotel to the Esplanade?

I’ll be staying at the Beach Club (never been) on an upcoming WDW trip so I’m trying to get a sense of those distances compared to something I’m familiar with.

I don't think those wait times are abnormally low for 8PM. I've seen 30 min ROTR and almost walk ons for smugglers run and matterhorn at that time of day. But Matterhorn waits can go a little bit all over the place sometimes being super high and sometimes super low with little rhyme or reason.

I think two factors are contributing to lower than expected summer crowds. First is that the reservation system and all the additional complex systems discourage casual visitors from going to Disneyland. My cousin's family decided to take their kid to Sesame Place instead of California Adventure after seeing me mess around in the app to prepare my party for virtual queue. The second thing is that many people who would normally have no-blockout annual passes don't because of the Dream Key fiasco.

We were at both parks last night, we traveled here from NM and OH (my niece joining us) and honestly compared to the heat (NM) or humidity (OH) we weren’t bothered by the weather here at all!

Maybe kept locals from attending? After Fantasmic last night, we walked on ROTR twice, then several other rides that was almost walk on…I think the longest we waited for a ride after watching Fantastic was 10 minutes.

We still have 3 more days at the parks and from what we saw last night we have changed our game plan…we are now going to go early (not rope drop early) do some rides. Go back to the hotel rest, realax then head back focusing on staying to closing to ride the big name rides

How does the distance from the Beach Club club to Epcot and Hollywood Studios feel compared to say, the Disneyland Hotel to the Esplanade?

I’ll be staying at the Beach Club (never been) on an upcoming WDW trip so I’m trying to get a sense of those distances compared to something I’m familiar with.
Okay, so Beach Club to Epcot International Gateway entrance is like DLH to the Downtown Disney Monorail Station.

Beach Club to Studios is a route I never walked. Took the boat or bus. I did walk from the Dolphin and the Boardwalk to Studios. Takes about 15 minutes. It's about a mile, I'd guess.

I think the Skyliner goes to Studios from near Beach Club now, which would be my preference. The skyliner station is even closer than the IG turnstiles.

We were at both parks last night, we traveled here from NM and OH (my niece joining us) and honestly compared to the heat (NM) or humidity (OH) we weren’t bothered by the weather here at all!

Maybe kept locals from attending? After Fantasmic last night, we walked on ROTR twice, then several other rides that was almost walk on…I think the longest we waited for a ride after watching Fantastic was 10 minutes.

We still have 3 more days at the parks and from what we saw last night we have changed our game plan…we are now going to go early (not rope drop early) do some rides. Go back to the hotel rest, realax then head back focusing on staying to closing to ride the big name rides
Wow, RotR was still operating AFTER Fanstamic? Like 9:30pm? That is amazing.

Wow, RotR was still operating AFTER Fanstamic? Like 9:30pm? That is amazing.
Yes, that was our first time at Disneyland Park, we rode twice walked on both times, then we we walked by the entrance going somewhere else and they we closing down the entrance.

We’ll be back tonight and hoping for the sake experience. I’ll post if it’s opened again.

Yes, that was our first time at Disneyland Park, we rode twice walked on both times, then we we walked by the entrance going somewhere else and they we closing down the entrance.

We’ll be back tonight and hoping for the sake experience. I’ll post if it’s opened again.
Please do! I would love to try this trick later this week when we go with friends.

The usual operating schedule shows that it closes at 9pm.
However, if the ride has been down quite a bit during the day they will stay open until 10pm.
Best part is that app will not show a return time and state that it closed for the day.
This is great to know, thank you! We are usually not there that late because of little kids but occasionally we stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter