Wearing masks...

The elastic hurts my ears.

Agree. The woman I order ears from made some very cute headband and mask combos. The elastic loops on to the headband! Super helpful. I bought one of those and one that goes behind the head.

I also have one that is made of much softer material on the ears and that one is ok.

I'm all for wearing a mask, but I don't know where people are supposed to get them if they don't sew or know someone that sews. The surgical ones (even the non N95) are not to be found anywhere. So if you don't have one, can't sew, don'e have anything to make a non-sew one with and you need groceries, what should you do?

Etsy.com But for now just tie a bandanna or scarf around nose/mouth if you need to go to store.

I'm all for wearing a mask, but I don't know where people are supposed to get them if they don't sew or know someone that sews. The surgical ones (even the non N95) are not to be found anywhere. So if you don't have one, can't sew, don'e have anything to make a non-sew one with and you need groceries, what should you do?

If you have a bandana and ponytail holders you can make an easy one. You can even cut up old leggings. Check YouTube for instructions.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the point of masks is to protect others. Basically going off the theory that breathing and speaking is spreading the virus. So a face covering keeps those micro droplets or aersol things from flying about.

I think we all need to accept that the fact face mask will not protect us individually from the virus but us as a whole from SOME spreading.

Unless one is ODC about wearing them, having a N95 and proper fit there is risk of cross contamination.

This is what we have done for our family. I sewed cotton double sides with an opening mask. We will use either cut up vacuum bags, coffee filters or paper tiles as the liner. In my car I will have a plastic bag. I put the used mask in the bag when finished. If I have worn it only for a short time, I will spray with lysol as a "wash"

If I have worn it longer and it is nasty on the inside. i will hand wash in hot, soapy water. air dry, when still damp. Iron the hell out of it to kill anything. Each person gets a set with a different pattern. Like toothbrushed, dont want to share. gross.

ps. I did have a friend who said she will not wear a mask.. ok, good luck getting food in our state. She also thinks all the younger people who died, died becauuse they all had the flu shot and this reduce their bodies abilities to fight the virus.. She compared it the the nut allegery theory. Exposure is good and builds an immunity also for other things. but that is topic for another thread.

We also have a supply of 50 desposable ones to have in the car for gross situations.

Granted none of this is 100%, probably goes against many "rules2 but there is only so much one can do.. I will do my best but will not get all ODC about things..

Just tack a twist tie up there if that’s a concern.
For the purpose we are using them, not having the nose bridge isn’t a deal breaker. We aren’t doing surgery.
Bingo.. I sewed some and on the inside fabric sewed an extra line to create a slot in the inseam to slide those in. I also found using 2 or 3 twister ties together worked MUCH better than just one. was easier to slide in and fits betters..

This is also a silver lining to covid as I never used those darn things. We buy a certain plastic bag brand that has those and I never used them and collected hundreds over the years... now I have a use.

These days I am one of those "bandit mask" people with latex gloves, simply because I have no other choice of a mask. I do tie it tight, and then tuck the bottom corner in my shirt, and dont wear my glasses as they'll fog up. As it is primarily to capture anything I might cough/sneeze out, I think it is "good enough" until I can get a better mask. (Plus, I get to feel like an old-timey stage-coach bandit.. EVERYBODY wins!)

A funny thing happened today. I was at Costco, finished up my shopping, and was driving home. I was talking to my wife, and was complaining to her about my new(ish) iPhone 11. The conversation went something like this:

Me: I like this iPhone, but sometimes it just doesn't work right. I hate the FaceID thing- it didn't work ONCE in the store, I had to keep typing in my password, which was a pain with latex gloves on. If Apple wants to push this Face ID thing, they really should make it work consistently.
Wife: Weren't you wearing a mask the whole time? Perhaps that is why it wasn't working?
Me: #$%$ I am such an idiot.

The mask won’t make you safer, that’s a fact, but might make others safer if you are infected. Being in a hot spot, no one is protesting any of these measures, actually the opposite.
I think it makes ppl feel safer than the are. I’ve had so many encounters with idiots wearing masks in grocery stores & then trying to stand on top of me!

Where are you getting your masks? I don’t have a sewing machine, so I can’t make one. I ordered a mask and a scarf, but everything is so backed up, who knows when they’ll get here. I just wish things like masks and disinfectants were actually available so we could use them.

I mentioned this in another thread, but all the seamstress/tailor shops are making masks in my area. It might be worth giving a call to your local shops as they may be making masks.

I'm surprised they haven't suggested wearing protective goggles or glasses over your eyes, since eyes, nose and mouth are the areas the disease gets into. I wear protective goggles, they do fog up, but found out if you wash in soapy water right before you go out, that helps.

I'm surprised they haven't suggested wearing protective goggles or glasses over your eyes, since eyes, nose and mouth are the areas the disease gets into. I wear protective goggles, they do fog up, but found out if you wash in soapy water right before you go out, that helps.
This is an often missed point. There are three vulnerable openings on your face: your mouth, your nose, and your eyes. And the eyes are not only an opening to your body, they are a VERY vulnerable opening to your body.

I also wear really cool safety glasses I got at Home Depot years ago for high risk areas. For regular stuff, like Publix, I just keep my sunglasses on and accomplish the same thing. I wear a properly fitting N95, so I don't have fogging problems.

I don't want to go running around wearing impervious trauma sleeves, so I wear long sleeved teeshirts and accomplish pretty much the same thing.

I don't mind if others choose to do so, but no, I'm not wearing protective goggles.

Just tack a twist tie up there if that’s a concern.
For the purpose we are using them, not having the nose bridge isn’t a deal breaker. We aren’t doing surgery.

Actually, if you think about the original intent of a surgical mask, it is the same exact reason as why we’re told to wear masks.
But, whatever, better to wear something than nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter