Wearing a white room robe to the Main DR...

Birdie dog

DIS Veteran
I am a conservative packer. I don't carry evening gowns for a Disney cruise. (I generally carry one-two black dresses for Palo and formal night). I generally don't care what anyone else around me is doing- not my cruise nor my problem. For our Merry Time cruise several families came to the MDR in matching PJ's. Though wouldn't do it (group of traveling adults), it's cute enough. However... showing up for dinner wearing a white spa, room robe is inappropriate. Seriously. That is all.

Last edited:
Yikes. In my opinion...you can wear robes in your room and to/from the pool and spa...that way you're not walking around the ship in a bathing suit alone...but I would never go to the MDR's wearing one! There's casual...and then there is inappropriate.

Oh my. I don't think people should dress up if they don't want to. We used to, but now, we generally feel like when we're on vacation, we don't want the pressure of having to wear formal clothes. I agree with the above poster that a robe in the MDR seems to be crossing a line into inappropriate.

We seriously paid zero attention to the people around us the whole trip but we were at dinner and my friend was like, "What the hellll? She's wearing a spa robe!" I thought she was mistaken. She wasn't. However, the lady was in full make-up.

I guess they are used to on-board toga parties?? Not on my cruise lines of choice, but...

I have seen people in Cabana's for breakfast in their PJ's.
I don't 'think' I'd be bothered by what people wear in Cabanas...I'd expect a spa robe there due to the proximity of the pool. I'm 'okay' with pj's there as well.

The MDR's have a higher standard for me, no matter what time of day...lol, and that standard is t-shirt/jeans or shorts...although we will dress up a bit for semi and formal nights. For me, the MDR's should involve clothing you'd wear out of the house, lol.

OP--that is just so odd to have full makeup AND a white robe...maybe her dress didn't come back from drycleaning on time and that was her way of protesting? Or her family made her leave at that time no matter what she had on? So odd!

Maybe they had a spa reservation and it ran long and just went from there to eat? As long as I'm not looking at naked bits you can wear anything.

The OP said she had full make-up on. I've never come from a spa treatment with full make-up on - and I think I'd rather be dressed appropriately than bother putting on a fake face if I stunk at my reservation timing and had to rush.

I was on a Merrytime Cruise this year as well and I was shocked at how many adults were walking around at breakfast and around the ship at other times in holiday PJ's. Then I realized they were probably dressing like that for Christmas Photos with the family. The FB group for that cruise did have a meet up in the MDR the first morning for breakfast and we went to watch from afar (and have breakfast)....there must have been at least 75 people in the their PJ's in Lumiere's. I can see that...it was an organized thing but I can't really think of any explanation that a spa robe would be appropriate in the MDR.

MJ

I was on a Merrytime Cruise this year as well and I was shocked at how many adults were walking around at breakfast and around the ship at other times in holiday PJ's. Then I realized they were probably dressing like that for Christmas Photos with the family. The FB group for that cruise did have a meet up in the MDR the first morning for breakfast and we went to watch from afar (and have breakfast)....there must have been at least 75 people in the their PJ's in Lumiere's. I can see that...it was an organized thing but I can't really think of any explanation that a spa robe would be appropriate in the MDR.

MJ
But, as with a lot of stuff on DCL lately, it's a slippery slope. You allow matching PJs "because it's cute", how can you say "sorry, can't wear bathrobe in MDR"?

I'm not supporting it, in fact, I'm all for stricter monitoring of the "dress code", but that's what I see happening.

All it takes is for someone to say "It's my cruise, you can't tell me how to dress." to bring things down for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!