Wearing a Walking Boot at Disney World

Reebee98

Earning My Ears
Hi! I will be at Disney World in 2 weeks and have to wear a walking boot for a possible stress fracture on my foot. We are flying and I read that since I am able to, I will take off the boot in the security line. I haven't found any answers though to if I have to take it off each time I go through security at a Disney park? I plan on not getting a wheelchair and just walking with the boot. We are going to get the disabilities pass for the rides so I don't have to stand for long (that's what hurts the most). Any other tips for wearing my walking boot? Besides the fact that I will have a lovely tan line on my leg! :) Thanks!

You are going to walk miles regardless of whether you get a DAS or not. I doubt that will be good for your foot, even in the boot.

Also, Disney probably won’t give you a DAS since your disability can be managed with a mobility device. I get it probably isn’t your preferred option, but Disney doesn’t have to give you what you prefer.

Do yourself and your foot a favor and rent an eCV from an offsite vendor. It will keep you from doing more damage to your foot and protect the investment you have in your vacation.

You shouldn't need to remove the boot for Disney security, or even the TSA. The latter can send you, and there shouldn't be an issue wearing it through Disney's metal detectors.

But you should be prepared to not be given a DAS, and have a backup plan. Mobility and stamina issue guests are typically advised to use (rent, borrow, bring) a mobility device.

Be aware that seating is limited at Disney World. There are not nearly as many benches as there used to be. If you need a place to sit, its recommended to take one with you in the form of some type of mobility device. A DAS allows you to wait outside the line, but does not provide a place to sit. In general, DAS holders actually walk a bit more than other guests. Disney also does not typically give out the DAS for mobility issues alone where some type of mobility device will solve the problem. Remember that you can walk 10+ miles per day at the World. Even with the boot, you may not be up to that.

As for taking the boot off for security, Disney definitely will not ask you to do that. Their checks are more of a visual check of bags and random metal detector screens. If there are metal fittings on your boot, they can just use the hand wand.

I’m not on expert on boots and the TSA, but I don’t think they do this either unless you get pulled for one of the advanced checks.

Last edited:

Hi! I will be at Disney World in 2 weeks and have to wear a walking boot for a possible stress fracture on my foot. We are flying and I read that since I am able to, I will take off the boot in the security line. I haven't found any answers though to if I have to take it off each time I go through security at a Disney park? I plan on not getting a wheelchair and just walking with the boot. We are going to get the disabilities pass for the rides so I don't have to stand for long (that's what hurts the most). Any other tips for wearing my walking boot? Besides the fact that I will have a lovely tan line on my leg! :) Thanks!
You do not need to take it off for security My friend spent over 7 months in one and did a number of trips to Disney, for her an ECV was a godsend ( she also has a bad hip too) she did bring an extra pair of socks to change out.

The CM, if they are doing their job, will ask you what your concerns are for the line. If it lags anything to do with I can not stand or walk too long the DAS pass should not be given. I would really look into other options for help with the I cannot stand too long and look into a wheelchair or ECV. there is just so much walking at Disney many people use mobility device that does not need them in everyday life. As our one of our member would say think of a mobility device as a tool just like glasses to see or hearing aids to hear are tools to help you enjoy your trip I would strongly suggest keeping a few phone number of vender for ECV wheelchair in your phone and maybe bring a cain to help with balance ) Disney has really takin set out from the park and they can be very hard to come by so unless you have your own you just might be out of luck.

also just because you have a mobility device does not mean you have to use it all the time you are free to park it and walk some but having something does mean you will have a set when you need to sit.

Last edited:
You are going to walk miles regardless of whether you get a DAS or not. I doubt that will be good for your foot, even in the boot.

Also, Disney probably won’t give you a DAS since your disability can be managed with a mobility device. I get it probably isn’t your preferred option, but Disney doesn’t have to give you what you prefer.

Do yourself and your foot a favor and rent an eCV from an offsite vendor. It will keep you from doing more damage to your foot and protect the investment you have in your vacation.

my friend was in a boot for a long time over 7 months because she is someone that overdid it at home at least she was smart enough to use her ECV at Disney. she went from weight bearing to nonweight baring and having to use a bone stimulator since her foot would not heal. I can not stress enough to rent something so you are not walking all day at Disney

I’ve been in a boot since March - torn Achilles and surgery last month. Went in a cruise in May prior to surgery. I didn’t have to take my boot off- they did run wand over at one airport.

Your foot will sweat and it will be uncomfortable ( we were in Caribbean do not and humid). Wash out liner and get a second one ( or it’ll smell). I spray deodorant on my leg and foot and it does help with sweating.

Your foot will swell agree ECV is best option (I’ve been non weight bearing for a month so I’ve used those in stores, at home I have a knee scooter).

Don’t overdo the walking - I did one day in Cancun and was miserable. Use something so you aren’t walking all the Disney miles!

Enjoy your trip and hope you heal soon

Last edited:

I had to fly a couple weeks in to wearing a walking boot. Although mine was a domestic Canadian flight, the security rules are similar.

Standing and walking without the boot was painful, so when CATSA asked if I could walk without it, I said no. They then asked if I am ok taking it off if I am sitting down, and I said yes. So they explained what the process would be. I walked though the metal detector and then they had me sit in a chair on the secure side and take the walking boot off. A CATSA officer did a wand and pat-down search while I was sitting, including VERY CAREFULLY the injured foot [asking appropriate questions in advance of touching any area etc]. Another officer took the walking boot and sent it through the xray machine that carryons go through then it got swabbed then brought back to me all cleared. I asked and they said they do have a proceedure for if someone can't take off the thing at all.

So a bit extra time at security, but they were very nice and considerate and professional.

A note: if your walking boot has air bladders: physics means as your plane gains altitude those bladders will rapidly inflate. If you don't prepare for this [I didn't even think of it the first flight] it will be VERY painful. Imagine siitting cramed in economy when suddenly there is intense pain from your leg, you remember PHYSICS! and then scramble to bend over and release the air valves as quickly as you can. The solution: once you are seated on the plane [or just before takeoff], LET THE AIR OUT of the air bladders. You won't be going anywhere, but keep it stapped on in case there is an emergency. Let the plane reach altitude, then you can inflate the bladders so you are comfortable and the limb supported. When the plane comes back down the bladders will shink some, so once you are on the ground make sure you inflate them to where they need to be before you go walking on it.

I found that even navigating the airport was a challenge and I requested wheelchair assistance.

There is absolutely no way I could manage Disney by walking in a walking boot. It is simply way too much walking for the poor limb and boot. Instead, I highly recommend renting an ECV. If you don't want to use it all the time, park it in an area and do a few of the nearby rides by walking, but then use the ECV from area to area/land to land. I think you will find yourself using the ECV much more than you think you will. Also consider there are very few benches and places to just sit and rest. The ECV gives you your very own whenever you need it.

Finally, BRING EXTRA SOCKS. Amazon sells them by the pair. I've been in a boot twice now. The first time I only had the one sock it came with. The second time I was wiser and got another two. MUCH easier and more comfy. At WDW especially you wont want to waear the same sock two days in a row and may even need to swap out the sock mid day depending on how hot and sweaty it gets. You will need to plan how you will wash them [by hand or using the laundry facility at your hotel]. If you do it by hand, they will take a while to dry, so even more reason to need more than one.

Get a waterproof cover for it. There are some nice ones out there. I got and recommend a "My Recovers medical walking boot cover ". Note that it is good for rain but NOT for puddles since it is open on the bottom [this is so the anti-slip bottom of the boot is still exposed so you don't slip]. So have a plan for the puddle of WDW in the rain.

SW

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have been moved to the boot during our trip in like 6 weeks after my surgery this coming Friday. It is possible that I may still have a cast on. I have rented an ECV for all the reasons stated above. My plantar plate was torn during this year's marathon. I did have a question about the rain cover which thankfully @Starwind answered, thankfully. I should tell you, OP that I don't plan on using it the whole time. It is a "home base" for me because I know that my foot will likely not be able to handle all the walking that is Disney. This trip will be different and my family knows that but we'll still have a ton of fun. We're going to meet friends for drinks and I have told very few people about this surgery so it should be a surprise. Yes, I am nervous about the ECV use but I have learned as I've gotten older that I need to be respectful of my own limits.

There was no way I could have two word Walt Disney World in my walking boot without an ecv or wheelchair. Even the short distances I did on crutches wore me out. The wheelchair also allows you to elevate your foot when you need to.

No way would I even consider doing Disney in a walking boot without a wheelchair or ECV; walking boots aren’t meant for walking 7+ miles in a day.

As for the DAS, as PPs mentioned, they are supposed to be for non-mobility/non-fatigue issues. If the CMs are following Disney policy, they shouldn’t issue one to someone with your issues, so I would be prepared to not get one.

And even if you do get one, where would you sit while you wait for your return time? There are few places to just sit down at Disney anymore, and non that are reserved for disabilities. Also, even with a DAS, you may be standing for some time in the FP line.

If your goal is to have a more relaxed vacation with less pain and stress, a wheelchair or ECV is a must.

I was in and out of a boot for a year and a half. One thing I wish I had realized earlier was that you need to wear a shoe with a thick sole on your good foot.....a sole or heel that's about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. If you wear something flat like thin-soled sandals, you're going to be higher on one side than the other (see how thick-soled the boot is?) and your hips and back are going to be singin' the blues in no time at all.

Also, I found myself rocking back on the curved sole and almost landed on my butt more than once. I used a folding cane a lot for stability.

You might not be eligible for the DAS, because you have a mobility issue. It doesn't hurt to ask. Just be prepared to be denied. Please consider an ecv (you won't be dependent on any one pushing you in the heat), or a wheelchair. In a typical park day you will \can walk 10+ miles.

Please know that in order to help with crowd control, Disney has eliminated most of their benches (outdoor seating). You will appreciate having a seat when (and you will) need a seat.

Also, please understand t hat if you are issued a,DAS, you will still be waiting in lines. You will be given a return time, and most times enter thru fast pass lines. How long do you have to wait in line? Can be as little as 5 minutes, or as long as? It depends on crowds, rides breaking down, etc. DAS is not a "front of line pass".

Last edited:
You might not be eligible for the DAS, because you have a mobility issue. It doesn't hurt to ask. Just be prepared to be denied. Please consider an ecv (you won't be dependent on any one pushing you in the heat), or a wheelchair. In a typical park day you will \can walk 10+ miles.

Please know that in order to help with crowd control, Disney has eliminated most of their benches (outdoor seating). You will appreciate having a seat when (and you will) need a seat.

Also, please understand t hat if you are issued a,DAS, you will still be waiting in lines. You will be given a return time, and most times enter thru fast pass lines. How long do you have to wait in line? Can be as little as 5 minutes, or as long as? It depends on crowds, rides breaking down, etc. DAS is not a "front of line pass".

Based on Disney policy, she definitely isn't eligible for a DAS, as what is described is obviously a mobility issue. Sure, anyone can ask for a DAS, and an employee who isn't doing their job may give one, but I'm in the camp of why even ask? If I know I'm not eligible for something, I'm certainly not going to try to get it anyway.

I understand that not everyone agrees with that philosophy though.

Based on Disney policy, she definitely isn't eligible for a DAS, as what is described is obviously a mobility issue. Sure, anyone can ask for a DAS, and an employee who isn't doing their job may give one, but I'm in the camp of why even ask? If I know I'm not eligible for something, I'm certainly not going to try to get it anyway.

I understand that not everyone agrees with that philosophy though.
Also, what is the OP going to do when they can not find a place to sit. having your own set is the only way you will have one for sure.

I was in and out of a boot for a year and a half. One thing I wish I had realized earlier was that you need to wear a shoe with a thick sole on your good foot.....a sole or heel that's about 1 to 1 1/2 inches. If you wear something flat like thin-soled sandals, you're going to be higher on one side than the other (see how thick-soled the boot is?) and your hips and back are going to be singin' the blues in no time at all.

Also, I found myself rocking back on the curved sole and almost landed on my butt more than once. I used a folding cane a lot for stability.

There is something called an Evenup that you can wear on your shoe on your good foot that adds extra height to it to "even up" the height difference. I have been in a boot twice now. The first time I used a shoe of the right height, but it flared my plantar fasciatis in that foot. The second time I wore my normal shoe but got an Evenup [via Amazon with next day delivery]. World of difference and the good foot was a happy camper for all 6 weeks. Not cheap but worth every penny.

SW

There is something called an Evenup that you can wear on your shoe on your good foot that adds extra height to it to "even up" the height difference. I have been in a boot twice now. The first time I used a shoe of the right height, but it flared my plantar fasciatis in that foot. The second time I wore my normal shoe but got an Evenup [via Amazon with next day delivery]. World of difference and the good foot was a happy camper for all 6 weeks. Not cheap but worth every penny.

SW

Dang, I wish I had known that after my "multi-broken bone experience" last year! It would have helped my non-broken side; the device they wanted me to wear to help my foot heal properly was MILES too wide, and we could never get it to stay on; it would slip and slide around, no matter what the doctor had me try. But the Evenup would have been great to have while I was trying to make that device work for six weeks!

I had a boot last September due to an ankle injury, never asked to take it off in security. I agree with other posters who said get an EVC. Good luck

I’ve posted in this thread about my surgery and knee scooter and walking boot. I was cleared Tuesday to start weight bearing after Achilles surgery 5 weeks ago. I am slowly doing walking (not relying on scooter or crutches). Granted it is different from your condition, there is no way I could walk in Disney all day in a boot (I am able to handle about 15 minutes of SLOW SLOW walking then have to stop.

Your foot will swell if you try to walk. I can’t even imagine trying to walk in a boot with a non injured foot. Wouldn’t do in anything but ECV. I’d also try to get foot elevated at times.

I had to do 3 days at Disneyland with a walking boot. So much smaller than WDW and glad that we borrowed a wheelchair. I used the wheelchair most of the day, but did park it for a few hours because I was tired of sitting. That's about how much walking I was able to comfortably handle. We took advantage of fast pass so most of the lines weren't too long (if the wheelchair doesn't fit in line and you have to stand, your foot will ache). At Peter Pan and Space Mountain we were able to get disability passes so I wouldn't have to stand for so long (Peter Pan) or walk too long to the ride (Space). They scanned my ticket and gave me a time to come back, based on current wait time. At Indiana Jones (also a long queue), the cast member told me to go through the "back" to avoid a long walk. I don't know if these will be the same procedures as at WDW, but, I also strongly suggest a wheelchair or ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter