We Smelled It...It Had to be Eaten, Part II ... Ding, Dong, Done!!!

Live and learn, right? I think we know better anymore than to expect truly authentic cuisine from the F&W booths ... it's really America's version of ethnic food. :rolleyes:

In years past I do think their food at the Poland booth was better, but this year it was baaaad.

Ummmm ... wait with bated breath for when I tell you all about how our order was screwed up at Ghiardelli's. :laughing:

I'm guessing the same brain surgeon who decided homogenization of menus across the resort was a good idea also chose whole wheat buns for hamburgers and hotdogs. :rolleyes:

And Cass, I'll flash for anything if it's free ... as long as no one holds me to that because it's not intentional. :lmao:

I hope you enjoy Casey's if you do get to try it Bridget - it's really a tradition for us and the dogs are quite good. And the fries are good with just the cheese, too, although I like the mustard as well!

Hiya Joanne - thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Whogirl'smom and I have been chatting for a long time here on the DIS so it was awesome to finally meet her in person. :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading and I hope the weather gets better up by you - you guys have really been pummeled over the last month or so. :hug:

Hey there! How have you been? Thanks for reading ... I'm glad to know we weren't the only ones who thought that drink was disgusting. I'm with you ... they got me once but never again. The tea was wonderful ... I could drink that all day long.

Woohoo! Your first F&W fest! Be sure to try anything you think sounds good ... even if someone else here says it stinks ... the quality of certain things can vary from day to day and everyone has different tastes so you might find that you really like something that a lot of people don't care for ... except for that drink in Poland. :laughing:

BTW - what are your dates? I'm going to start keeping track on my community thread of all our food friends who are planning October trips to see how we all overlap. My goal is to plan a get-together one evening over at the Beach Club ... :woohoo:

We're going the 1st weekend..Sept 25 - Oct 2nd.
Had to squeeze into that 40% off code :cool1:!
This way we'll be able to hit FWF and MNSSHP as well
Two more marked off my list.. It would be so much easier on my DH if he wold just agree to move to FL.:rotfl:

Cathy

Sitting here in the icy/snowy tundra that has become the Northeast this winter, your post makes me desperate for a nice, warm, relaxing vacation stroll right now! It looks so great, despite the bad Polish food!

Come on... admit it... we just want out of the snow!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

There is a ring around the moon tonight...

At other times I'd think it was romantic...

tonight it means more snow...

then the arctic comes in...

Funny thing is we have the 109th airwing (the Air National Guard that flies into Antarctica and are the only ones who can fly to the South Pole... they're walkin around in short sleeves... :rotfl:

We're going the 1st weekend..Sept 25 - Oct 2nd.
Had to squeeze into that 40% off code :cool1:!
This way we'll be able to hit FWF and MNSSHP as well
Two more marked off my list.. It would be so much easier on my DH if he wold just agree to move to FL.:rotfl:

Cathy

congrats to you - I hope you have a great trip! :goodvibes

Jumping on the get me out of the ice world that has taken over bandwagon. Love the sunny pictures, no matter what food is in them. :thumbsup2

I love the sunny pictures and the suntanned us right now, too. We have a front moving through and the house is rattling in the wind ... high temp of 43 earlier today ... falling to 12 by tomorrow morning. Bitterly cold the rest of the week with no snow or anything else to even make it worthwhile.

I'd smuggle whisky into the office so that I could keep warm during the day but then I'd have to share. :rotfl2:

There is a ring around the moon tonight...

At other times I'd think it was romantic...

tonight it means more snow...

then the arctic comes in...

Funny thing is we have the 109th airwing (the Air National Guard that flies into Antarctica and are the only ones who can fly to the South Pole... they're walkin around in short sleeves... :rotfl:

Sorry to hear about the looming snow ... right now I wish we had some. What's the point of having this kind of prolonged cold if there's no snow on the ground to pretty things up? It's just ugly and dead in Stinktown ... oh, and stinky. :laughing:

I'm not sure about having the stinky part...but I don't think I'm going to see my garden until July.... :sad2:

Finally MG sees some food she would actually eat. :lmao: I'll have to make sure I try one of those hot dogs in October. Maybe by then, they'll have rethought the wheat bun thing.;)

Morocco sounded pretty good too. :thumbsup2

Finally MG sees some food she would actually eat. :lmao: I'll have to make sure I try one of those hot dogs in October. Maybe by then, they'll have rethought the wheat bun thing.;)

Morocco sounded pretty good too. :thumbsup2

I doubt the wheat buns will be gone, MG, but the dogs are still awesome for what they are ... processed pig parts in a sausage casing. :lmao:

If you really come to WDW before your cruise I'll give you the option of F&W with me and Jay or a scrumptious spread at Casey's. :goodvibes

i love reading about all the great disney food...yummm:banana:

Thanks for reading and I hope you stick around for the rest ... lots of food to come still! :thumbsup2

Oh ... that's the nicest thing you could say to a dork like me. :hug:

I've had that discussion with Jay before but then I usually second-guess myself ... mostly with the question: why would anyone out in the real world pick up a book written by a no-name about her and her hubby's food travels? :confused3

I guess it's the same people who made Frances Mayes, Ferenc Mate, Bill Bryson, Elizabeth Gilbert, et. al. famous authors. They were all 'no names" at one time :)
For example this sentence
"Anyway, we were happy happy happy after our lunch at Bistro and I felt ten pounds lighter in spite of everything I'd eaten because I was no longer worried that I'd chosen an event that would leave us gagging on the bitter taste of disappointment once it was finished."
is pure brilliance and I wish I could come up with something oike that. As a matter of fact, I wish I had your help right now as I'm procrastinating on a travel article for the local paper that MUST be done by this weekend "sigh".

Do i spot a hidden Mickey in this one?....Christ i hope ive saved the right pic....:rolleyes1

244.jpg

Will you be carrying your Mobile with you in October?.....:flower3:

Sunday, October 12 - Ghirardelli Soda Fountain: It's a Madhouse ... or is that a Nuthouse?!?!?!

The only thing that was going to wash the taste of that over-priced Polish sludge out of our mouths was a sweet, ice creamy delight drowning in hot fudge. Jay and I hadn't visited Ghirardelli since May 2007 ... at that time the ice cream shop had a long counter where customers placed their orders and then waited for their yummies in a confused mass of humanity that had the definite feel of a cattle pen on killing-floor day. Imagine our surprise when we walked in at 10:30 on Sunday evening to find that they’d remodeled the ordering area, installed several registers that were elevated on platforms above the clearly marked human traffic lanes, and placed big friendly menus above the registers.

All of this did make the ordering process easier, but unfortunately Ghirardelli didn't expand their seating area so I have to say that the place still had a cramped and rather sweaty feel to it.

Jay and I decided to share a sundae, and opted for The Gold Rush – a peanut butter hot fudge sundae, which was described as vanilla ice cream with hot fudge and melted peanut butter throughout, topped with whipped cream, a cherry, roasted peanut halves, and a Ghirardelli milk chocolate square for the low low price of $7.95.

Seeing that nuts were unfortunately included in this product, we were very careful to request that our dessert be prepared without them. The young lady taking our order was great and made note of the request – it was even printed out on the receipt she gave me. This trivial bit of information will play an important part in the tale to come, so please stand by.

We couldn’t believe how crowded the place was for a Sunday evening and wandered aimlessly in the holding pen before spotting a small corner table that had just been vacated. And then we proceeded to wait and watch as people continued to cram their way in … the line to place orders extended out the door and led Jay to exclaim at one point in his best Charlton Heston Planet of the Apes impersonation, “IT'S A MADHOUSE!!!”

Plenty of ice cream folks, no need to push.
260.jpg

I said, "IT'S A MADHOUSE!!!
261.jpg

Is it just me, or do you guys think that poor man at the table behind Jay looks like he maybe had one sundae too many? :rotfl2:

After about a ten-minute wait our dessert was delivered and we plunged eagerly into the sweet delight, ready to compare and decide for ourselves which establishment offered the better peanut butter / chocolate sundae – Beaches & Cream or Ghirardelli.

The Gold Rush
262.jpg

It wasn’t bad but it didn’t hold a candle to the No Way Jose over at Beaches & Cream. Aside from the portion size being a smaller one for the same price, they do something at B&C with their peanut butter topping that makes it a smooth, sweet, creamy joy. The peanut butter at Ghiradelli was thicker and almost gritty at times.

And hey … is that a peanut???

The first time I asked myself that question I let it go; after all, it's possible that a stray nut made its way into the topping or plunged into the ice cream when the kitchen staff wasn't looking. I spat the offending legume into my hand and stuck it on a napkin where it lay there innocently, unaware of its own, and as yet, untapped potential for wreaking intestinal havoc.

However, when another spoonful of dessert revealed an unexpected colony of peanuts that appeared to be reproducing before our very eyes, I set my spoon down on the table with a disgusted crash. My first instinct was to let Jay finish dessert on his own - he's not crazy about nuts but doesn't have the health concerns that I do when it comes to those peanutty little buggers. All it takes is one errant little peanut ... aka earthnut, goober, goober pea, pinda, pinder, jacknut, manilla nut, or monkey nut ... set loose in my intestinal tract and there will be rumblings and crampings and emissions of the most gassy kind followed by a lengthy and painful visit to the porcelain god. And who needs that on vacation?

I was annoyed because more than half of the dessert remained and our receipt clearly showed that we had requested no "nuttiness." Taking a deep breath I flagged down one of the many table runners who were literally being worked to distraction. Politely I showed her our peanut goldmine and the receipt which clearly stated that they should have been banished from the dessert. She was just as sweet as could be, took the offending dessert and our receipt, and then re-appeared five minutes with a brand new, peanut-free sundae that quite frankly looked and tasted better than the first one.

Second time's a charm!
263-1.jpg

Yes indeed, this was much better and not just because there were no goober peas included - there was a more even mix of hot fudge and peanut butter and both were smoother and creamier than on the first go-round. Having said that, we still liked the No Way Jose better and are looking forward to having one this October at Beaches & Cream.

Once we were finished with dessert V.2 we decided to catch a ride on one of the little ferry boats that run back and forth between Port Orleans, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, and Downtown Disney. It's a relaxing and mildly romantic way to end the evening as long as someone with a screaming toddler doesn't board your boat (luckily this time that person boarded the other boat). :laughing:

All Aboard!
264.jpg

And so ends the evening. Next up ... a day of firsts: Breakfast at the Rainforest Cafe and dinner at Wolfgang Puck's Upstairs Dining Room!!! Thanks for reading! :goodvibes

Brenda, I just had to comment that I'm almost getting used to your pictures with the "chest backdrop" in them. :rotfl2: Are you sure Jay was truly photographing the food though? ;)

I still suffer through Ghiardelli's even though they did away with the raspberry sauce...

And I'm with you on the peanuts... and for me... peanut butter, but that goes back to a nun in 3rd grade and another story all together... :scared:

I go for the biggest chocolate/chocolate ice cream soda and call it dinner... which is something I'm going to corrupt all my nieces and nephews with on our trip... (See... the good Aunt's let them eat ice cream...)

Brenda, I just had to comment that I'm almost getting used to your pictures with the "chest backdrop" in them. :rotfl2: Are you sure Jay was truly photographing the food though? ;)

:lmao: If I were a little more well endowed I might think you were on to something. ;)

I still suffer through Ghiardelli's even though they did away with the raspberry sauce...

And I'm with you on the peanuts... and for me... peanut butter, but that goes back to a nun in 3rd grade and another story all together... :scared:

I go for the biggest chocolate/chocolate ice cream soda and call it dinner... which is something I'm going to corrupt all my nieces and nephews with on our trip... (See... the good Aunt's let them eat ice cream...)

I love peanut butter ... as long as it doesn't have peanuts in it. :lmao: I like to eat peanut butter sammies for breakfast with coffee.

And the other night when Jay was working late I ate Bissinger's milk chocolate for dinner. :goodvibes

Bendy... you can have my legumes... I'll take your shroomies... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter