We AREN'T a Family, Antiquated Disney Nomenclature

Slightly off topic but in the same category
Boyfriend and I (NOT married.. obviously) visited from 10/1-10/6
I was the one who made the reservations because I'm familiar with Disney practices and it was my boyfriend's first time visiting
So the reservations are under my name
His name is everywhere in the plans, as the second guest
His last name is different from mine, obviously
But every time we talked to someone from the resort he was referred to as "Mister (MY last name)"
It's a small thing to be irritated about, I know

I feel like it's not super uncommon for non-married couples to visit? I don't know

I was the one who made the reservations because I'm familiar with Disney practices and it was my boyfriend's first time visiting
But every time we talked to someone from the resort he was referred to as "Mister (MY last name)"

I feel like it's not super uncommon for non-married couples to visit? I don't know

Nope, not super uncommon. I will even say that I have traveled with just male friends (NOT my boyfriends in either case) and people tended to act like we were a couple. Photopass photographers REALLY like to ask you to kiss when you're with someone of the opposite sex. Even better is when at a restaurant, the server automatically gives the check to the guy, or is returning the credit card (before MagicBands) that clearly has MY name on it and give it to him to sign! (This happens outside of Disney, too.)

Unofficial Guide to Disney Cruise Line actually has a little section on how silly it is that they announce you as "The X Family" when you board the ship. There is no escaping this. They offer tips though, since you tell the CMs what you'd like to be called - do a combo of your names, or come up with something random, or just board as "The Howells" :thumbsup2

We've run into this same situation at times when my wife (goes by her maiden name) makes the arrangements. I've been called Mr. (her last name) many times. I can't say it bothers me, but that's just me. I can see how it might bother someone.

We've run into this same situation at times when my wife (goes by her maiden name) makes the arrangements. I've been called Mr. (her last name) many times. I can't say it bothers me, but that's just me. I can see how it might bother someone.

Yeah it didn't bother my boyfriend, he just thought it was funny
I was the one who was bothered lol

Even better is when at a restaurant, the server automatically gives the check to the guy, or is returning the credit card (before MagicBands) that clearly has MY name on it and give it to him to sign! (This happens outside of Disney, too.)

THIS bothers me a ton. This happens to us everywhere we go. I wish they would just set it down in the middle between us rather than handing it to him, is that so hard?

Now that assumption, that any couple (married or not) share the same last name, is antiquated.
And imagine how difficult it is for a business dealing with this many people to adjust. Each CM needs to understand the wishes of each guest and use the wording that will make that guest comfortable.

So many different configurations; just friends, BF/GF, married with the same last name, married with different last names, committed with kids but not married, same sex couples, same sex friends...

My male friend and I were twice referred to as a couple by CM's on a trip last year. Some guys may have been bothered by that assumption. We weren't. Should a CM never make that assumption because some guys might be bothered. Calling a same sex couple a couple is exactly the opposite of antiquated they were being quite progressive. I would hate it if Disney instructed CM's to never make that assumption because some traveling friends might be offended.

And imagine how difficult it is for a business dealing with this many people to adjust. Each CM needs to understand the wishes of each guest and use the wording that will make that guest comfortable.

It really wouldn't be that difficult to just ask, like when you're making reservations or buying tickets they could have a place where they ask what you prefer to be called. Now, inside restaurants or parks I agree it would be more difficult.

sarcasm/ They do have those irritating iPad surveys every 20 feet now anyways, why couldn't they do something with that? /sarcasm

An excellent option, Tempty.

Devil's Advocate/If a CM didn't notice the request or did see it but then forgot to honor the request there are those who would be even more offended/Devil's Advocate

Not an easy situation to be in for a company accommodating so many different people with so many different nomenclature wishes.

I booked all our honeymoon stuff and had added honeymoon, and since we left the day after the wedding, I was still using my maiden name. I feel like the first day I was being called Mrs. Maiden name...but on a cruise they figure that out fast. I found it more comical than anything.

Also comical, I got mail for the MAIDEN NAME family for years, I think because I couldn't change my name on the back end of the cruise line system (morons).

I just booked my first solo trip and got the little welcome booklet in the mail a few days ago that says, "Your Magical Vacation Starts Right Here, xxxx Family!" I thought it was particularly funny because I was like heck no, I'm leaving my family home on this trip! I also thought it was odd that they would refer to a single traveler as a "family." I could definitely see how it would get annoying always being addressed this way as a solo traveler. I guess Disney doesn't check how many other people are on the reservation, they just look at who made the reservations!

Last edited:
Last time we were at Typhoon Lagoon for rope drop my 8 year old and I were the first in line. Like, very clearly the first in line. When the staff came to pick the family of the day (whatever it's called) they looked right past us and picked a family of 2 parents, a boy, and a girl behind us. Those kids got to do all the fun stuff and have special seating and my daughter and I had been there for 20 minutes longer than them. My daughter was really crushed. It was cruel, honestly. My daughter actually said she wished we had been a family so we could have seen all the behind-the-scenes stuff. But I'm divorced sooooo, sucks to be us?

Since everything is digital, they probably could add that option in their program. So if you want to be referred to a certain way they can accommodate it.

Personally, I thought it was funny, but it didn't really bother me. Being the "First Family" as a solo a couple of times at restaurants and getting my picture taken with the Disney Junior Characters was the most surreal/hilarious part of my January trip.

Perhaps you can send them an e-mail? I'm sure if they get enough people asking for it that they'll add it.

Last edited:
Since everything is digital, ...
Let's keep in mind that the cast members aren't digital. So while what you're saying might apply to those that are calling you while looking at a computer screen, I wouldn't expect that to extend to cast members in any other circumstance. Yes, the folks at the front desk have a computer screen in front of them, but they're expected to make eye contact with guests, not talk to them while reading up on the guest's preferences on some computer screen.

I noticed that Universal just says party instead of family of the documentation - I'm sure that Disney has done studies to decide what to put on the docs

Disney sort of gave up on trying to attract couples back in the 2000s and really are focused on families IMO regardless of that family make up - solo travelers are even a smaller demographic

I have done numerous solo trips to Disney and Universal and never had issues with it

Last time we were at Typhoon Lagoon for rope drop my 8 year old and I were the first in line. Like, very clearly the first in line. When the staff came to pick the family of the day (whatever it's called) they looked right past us and picked a family of 2 parents, a boy, and a girl behind us. Those kids got to do all the fun stuff and have special seating and my daughter and I had been there for 20 minutes longer than them. My daughter was really crushed. It was cruel, honestly. My daughter actually said she wished we had been a family so we could have seen all the behind-the-scenes stuff. But I'm divorced sooooo, sucks to be us?
My son and I (DS was 5) got chosen for family of the day for the seas at Epcot (DH had already left the trip)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter