We AREN'T a Family, Antiquated Disney Nomenclature

Do you think Disney should make more of an effort to acknowledge "non-traditional" guests in their correspondence?
They already accept all configurations of people as families rather than insisting on some traditional definition of it, so I think that's fine in regards to the nomenclature.

I'd actually prefer Disney stay more attuned to its original mission of creating wonderful family experiences and pay more attention to families' needs in regards to pricing, rather than focusing more and more on any other demographic who can pay high prices.

Small effort, address me by name when I call the front desk or whatever instead of the X Family and a larger effort would be to change print items and drop the word family when it doesn't apply.
Thanks. I understand better. I'm sorry this bothers you.

They already accept all configurations of people as families rather than insisting on some traditional definition of it, so I think that's fine in regards to the nomenclature.
Love this! "Family" means so much more today than it did decades ago.

I can understand smokeyblue's point about solo travelers. I, personally, never gave it a thought until she posted this.

They changed it up when I went with my best friend on my most recent trip this past June. I can't recall anything prior to the trip or during the trip, but the little "Vacation Time Sure Seems to Fly: Here's Something to Remember Us By" drawing they sent after the trip has "The (My Last Name) Party" on it instead of the usual "The (My Last Name) Family" that I've gotten when traveling with my parents.

I've not done a solo trip yet (some day!), so I don't have the experience of being referred to as "a family" myself, but it wouldn't bother me. I'd realize it's just the default that Disney is set to and not some personal slight against me.

I agree with you, vacationer1954. No matter what Disney does with word usage someone is going to be unhappy. Changing that procedure would make me unhappy, but smokeyblue would feel more comfortable. Right now it's the other way around - I'm comfortable with the use of the word family and she is uncomfortable with it.

Maybe solo travelers could just be addressed by their name?
I've been going solo for 18 years. It has always been by my name. They don't know if you are going to meet someone else there or not. My advice is if you aren't in what is considered a definable family then you are going by yourself, no one has ever referred to me as a "Family". My advice is that you're being way to sensitive and expecting places that serve thousands of people everyday to know your intentions, your travel habits and your fear of words that you don't feel define you personally. If they say family it is probably force of habit, but, they are more likely to be correct then not. If they call an individual a family, well you are a member of some family, they just aren't with you right now. Lighten up, Francis.

It's like the over-sensitivity of when the ride CM's asks (Just one?) They aren't passing judgement they are asking for an exact number so they know where to put you. Why do we insist on making our life harder then it has to be. Paranoia is very seldom your friend.

I've been going solo for 18 years. It has always been by my name. They don't know if you are going to meet someone else there or not. My advice is if you aren't in what is considered a definable family then you are going by yourself, no one has ever referred to me as a "Family". My advice is that you're being way to sensitive and expecting places that serve thousands of people everyday to know your intentions, your travel habits and your fear of words that you don't feel define you personally. If they say family it is probably force of habit, but, they are more likely to be correct then not. If they call an individual a family, well you are a member of some family, they just aren't with you right now. Lighten up, Francis.

It's like the over-sensitivity of when the ride CM's asks (Just one?) They aren't passing judgement they are asking for an exact number so they know where to put you. Why do we insist on making our life harder then it has to be. Paranoia is very seldom your friend.
I feel I have a firm grasp on what is and what is possible. My viewpoint is not coming from expectations, because my expectation is based in reality. I'm looking at this from a more optimistic position. There is room for improvement no matter how small or large. Am I ready change, heck yeah! Do I expect it? Not so much.

On these boards, we are all obviously very supportive of solo trips and stand behind the opinion that solo trips can be truly relaxing and fun. I've taken several and plan to do more. Obviously, Disney is welcoming of solo travelers, but they don't really put themselves out there as a destination for parties of one.

The "family" thing doesn't bother me, at least not any more than it initially gave me a pause and reminder that Disney isn't really marketed for solos, and that might be the reason they could take any effort to change the use of this word. I'm still a little puzzled about an article on the Disney site (as part of the Disney Parks blog, I believe) about the joys of solo travel at WDW. I was really happy to see that acknowledged for the first time in an official post, but a few hours later, before I had a chance to share it here, it was pulled down. Not sure why. Maybe someone realized it was off strategy.

My wife goes by her maiden name, and we often travel with her sister who goes by her married name. So there are usually 3 surnames associated with our trips, yet Disney still refers to us as family. Would I be upset if they referred to us as "party"? No, but it goes to show there are many different circumstances that can come in to play with this subject. Given the resources necessary to differentiate between people's preferences (and the costs involved, which would likely be passed on to us), you have to ask yourself if it's really that big a deal...

I went to Liberty Tree Inn solo in August and just giggled to myself when they welcomed "The xxxxx Family". Wondered if it would be odd to eat a "family style" meal by myself - but it was great and I didn't feel odd at all. The salad was amazing, the bread and rolls were soooo good, and the meal itself was wonderful. And, no kids to take on 14 potty visits during the meal! I loved it! Booked it last minute on the app in the park. So glad I did!

I don't think it matters. Family is what you make it ,and i don't feel its an offensive term,even when those I am with aren't necessarily family. We had table mates on a Disney cruise once that we met online and met up with on the ship. We are pale people of Northern European descent, and they are Greek. Everyone assumed we were one family the entire trip. No one was bothered.

I dunno. With all the challenges and problems we face in this present age, I just can't get worked up over the use of the term "family". I think it's very sweet, actually, and on some of our trips, we have needed the reminder--lol.

PS--we are a non-traditional, blended family.

Small effort, address me by name when I call the front desk or whatever instead of the X Family and a larger effort would be to change print items and drop the word family when it doesn't apply.

I traveled with family in September and had to call the front desk a few times and they called me Ms. Last Name.

You are correct, not a hill I would care to die on either since being called family even with close friends would make me smile. Actually, we call our close family friends “framily” (friends/family combined).

I am pleased to see so many people so open to the various usages of the word family.

I just got this in the mail:
dkZelZ1.jpg

I don't personally know another Passholder. But now I'm part of that family!

As a solo-traveling single person, I'm really not bothered by the "_____ Family" thing, but that's just me.

I've been going solo for ten years now and I've never even noticed! However, I'd very much rather not have these conversations:

Server: Are you alone?
Me: Yup
Server: Just you?
Me: Looks like it.
Server: Aw, that's too bad.

Agree with this. I've only run into this once, though, when I checked in for dinner at BOG. When I said I was just one, the young lady CM said "Aww." I just smiled and said, "Not Aww, awesome!" And the older gentleman CM at the counter backed me up and said, "That's right, you can do whatever you want."

You'd think more CMs would be used to solo guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter