WDW for introverts

Yeah, stay away from character meals as well. You seem to have a pretty comprehensive list. I'd also suggest utilizing your fast passes to the best of your ability. Rope drop is a particularly good idea because there are far less people during it.

I'm an introvert and I don't do those things at Disney.
To me this sounds more like suggestions for those with social anxiety who can't handle being in social situations for too long.
Is that more what your DH and DS have?
If so then those suggestions seem pretty good.
If they don't want to interact with strangers then I definitely would NOT do a dessert party as you may be placed with strangers at your table.
Yes probably a good idea to have switched from 50's PT to Sci-fi as there is LESS interaction but the servers at Sci-fi are still chatty.

You picked the right time of year! AKL “should” be quieter. If Pizza Rizzo is open for your trip (doubtful), you can have the entire second floor practically to yourselves. Try to do things like fantasyland and toy story land at night when they are less busy. Epcot has lots of quiet space, but avoid weekends during food and wine. In stage shows, sit in the first row. It’s the only way to avoid being distracted by phone screens, camera screens, and blinking toys. For safari and small world, request first row. Don’t wait in any line longer than 25 minutes. Use fast pass aggressively. At counter service restaurants, eat upstairs at Colombia harbor house and go to the far corners of Pecos Bill. Do not eat between the hours of 1130 and 2.

Oh wow, do I ever love your post, lol! Hence my screen name :bitelip: We love Disney, but my D and I aren't big on crowds, noise, or attention, so we use a lot of the same strategies that you mentioned.

What you've already planned is what we typically do...deluxe hotel, ADRs (no character meals/participation dining), book dessert parties so you have guaranteed seating...though I must warn you that if your party is small enough you might get seated with another family/group/solo traveler. When H and I go alone, we pretty much always get put at a table with 2 other people, but on our last trip with our D we had tables for 3.:cloud9:

I would also highly recommend the After Hours events if they're running while you're there...you'll find probably the fewest people you've ever seen in a Disney park at those. In our estimation, they're worth every penny.

We did make an exception this last trip and booked 2 character meals -- at the new Storybook meal at WL, and Minnie's Seasonal Dine at H&V. We were assured by many people that characters would leave us alone if we just politely waved and nodded. This worked for some but not for others, unfortunately -- some genuinely seemed "hurt" (I'm sure they were pretending, but it was still embarrassing and not the kind of attention we wanted) that we didn't want photos, particularly at Minnie's seasonal dine. It got to the point where we just took the darn photo so they would leave, lol. We won't be making the mistake of booking character meals again unless and until we have grandchildren and they insist on it, lol.

We LOVED the SW party and the whole set up for it -- the food is great and we found it very low-key. The food is not as good IMHO at HEA, but I can't figure out a better way for an introvert who doesn't like crowds to get to have a reserved seat for them. If anyone has any tips though, I'm open to them!

If you decide to stay CL, you can get 3 extra FP+ per day for $50 per person/per day extra, plus taxes, and you get to book all your FP+ at 90 days out instead of 60. We did this for our Christmas trip and LOVED it...we were able to build in more sleeping in time and more down time at the resort as a result.

Yes probably a good idea to have switched from 50's PT to Sci-fi as there is LESS interaction but the servers at Sci-fi are still chatty.

I didn't have a chatty server at scifi, and even if I didn't we couldn't have heard them.

And I totally agree that this is more about social anxiety than about introversion.

If anyone in the gorup is sensitive to sounds or just gets overwhelmed in crowds, I strongly suggest ear plugs. Disney is LOUD. People, music, piped in sounds (along with smells). It's loud loud loud. And sometimes you don't even notice it until you're about to sit down in the pathway and cry. Earplugs. Just bring them for everyone for each day, just in case.

I didn't have a chatty server at scifi, and even if I didn't we couldn't have heard them.

And I totally agree that this is more about social anxiety than about introversion.

If anyone in the gorup is sensitive to sounds or just gets overwhelmed in crowds, I strongly suggest ear plugs. Disney is LOUD. People, music, piped in sounds (along with smells). It's loud loud loud. And sometimes you don't even notice it until you're about to sit down in the pathway and cry. Earplugs. Just bring them for everyone for each day, just in case.

Really? I've eaten at Sci-fi countless times and my server is always making jokes about the kids driving the parents and people in the back being hitch hikers etc.
I actually find it to be a rather quiet restaurant because its dark and people are usually watching the previews while they eat.

I'm quite sensitive to sound because I'm visually impaired meaning my hearing is heightened.
There's no way I could use ear plugs though as it would be harder to use that sense. lol.
But it is a good tip for most people.

I am an introvert and also just hate being the center of attention, or really having any attention single me out in any way and still love Disney, there are just a few things that I prefer to avoid if possible. Character meals are OK for me, but not my preference if I can avoid them. I hated HDDR, I was so nervous that one of the players was going to select me for any sort of participation or single me out, I also hated the Laugh Floor, I will never try that again, if I hadn't been in the middle of a row I would have bolted. Have no desire to try 50s PT, it sounds horrible to me. On the other hand I have no issue with sharing tables at places like Biergarten or for dessert parties, as I have no issue talking to strangers.

I prefer Deluxe resorts but not really because I am introverted I just make use of the amenities and prefer the locations.

The crowds and being around people for so long does exhaust me, but taking some time with DH at the pool to relax, or having a nice glass of wine by myself in the resort lounge is usually enough for me to recharge and be ready to go back to the masses. My husband also has to work out each day, so that leaves me with some precious alone time in the room/resort that helps too.

Yes - generally avoid people. My husband calls himself an introvert but he’s more the opposite of extrovert. He really needs alone time and gets grumpy without it. I’m sometimes an extrovert but I find crowds draining.

I am not an introvert, but my DS11 and DH are and I have to plan our trips accordingly so they can enjoy their time at WDW. I think you have a good plan. AKL is generally a very quiet resort and is quite remote. I think it will be a good choice for your family. You may still want to request a "quiet room". We don't like to be near elevators and, though, at times it means we have longer walks to our rooms, it works for us. Afternoon breaks are a must for us and we don't do rope drop - too much mayhem. We typically start our FP+ about 30 - 60 minutes after park opening to allow for a leisurely morning and avoid the first bus and park crowds.

Another resort to consider, if budget allows, is YC. It is generally quieter than BC and BWI and will allow you boat and walking access to both EP and DHS - a calmer experience than taking buses around. The pool may be more chaotic there, though, but they do have quiet pools.

If budget allows, I would consider using uber/lyft/Minnie Vans to the parks (Minnie Vans, in particular, for MK as it drops you off where the buses drop off). My DH would rather stay at the resort than take a bus to the parks.

I agree - I would avoid the more popular restaurants and character meals. We tend to like restaurants that aren't as popular (and are usually better than most!) because they are quieter and calmer. If you are at AKL, Sanaa and Jiko are good choices. I would avoid Boma. Most signatures are less chaotic. Do not go to Biergarten! In the parks, places like Skipper Canteen, Spice Road Table, Brown Derby and Tiffins might work. My DH particularly likes Nomad Lounge in AK for a midday break.

I am not an introvert, but my DS11 and DH are and I have to plan our trips accordingly so they can enjoy their time at WDW. I think you have a good plan. AKL is generally a very quiet resort and is quite remote. I think it will be a good choice for your family. You may still want to request a "quiet room". We don't like to be near elevators and, though, at times it means we have longer walks to our rooms, it works for us. Afternoon breaks are a must for us and we don't do rope drop - too much mayhem. We typically start our FP+ about 30 - 60 minutes after park opening to allow for a leisurely morning and avoid the first bus and park crowds.

Another resort to consider, if budget allows, is YC. It is generally quieter than BC and BWI and will allow you boat and walking access to both EP and DHS - a calmer experience than taking buses around. The pool may be more chaotic there, though, but they do have quiet pools.

If budget allows, I would consider using uber/lyft/Minnie Vans to the parks (Minnie Vans, in particular, for MK as it drops you off where the buses drop off). My DH would rather stay at the resort than take a bus to the parks.

I agree - I would avoid the more popular restaurants and character meals. We tend to like restaurants that aren't as popular (and are usually better than most!) because they are quieter and calmer. If you are at AKL, Sanaa and Jiko are good choices. I would avoid Boma. Most signatures are less chaotic. Do not go to Biergarten! In the parks, places like Skipper Canteen, Spice Road Table, Brown Derby and Tiffins might work. My DH particularly likes Nomad Lounge in AK for a midday break.

More great advice...yes to all of these! Tiffins is our favorite...so quiet and mellow in there. :)

I'm an introvert and have no issues with the crowds, transportation, or even things like the Laugh Floor. I HATE strangers that want to talk to me in line though. It's a WDW pet peeve. I politely smile and nod and physically turn by back to the attention of my party...easy peasy. I find stranger interactions much less annoying at the pub in the UK for instance, but people at the bar will chat you up. For some reason (it might be the drinks) it bothers me less there, but it might bother you MORE if you are one who never wants to engage, so I thought might be a valuable heads up.

You'll be fine, have a great trip.

Also a massive introvert here. I like a lot of the tips mentioned, but another tip is to bring solo things to do in lines. books are my favorite, but whatever helps them calm and to take time not only away from the crowds, but away from each other would be good. I get more annoyed by my family being on top of me through a trip than I do by the crowds.

Also a massive introvert here. I like a lot of the tips mentioned, but another tip is to bring solo things to do in lines. books are my favorite, but whatever helps them calm and to take time not only away from the crowds, but away from each other would be good. I get more annoyed by my family being on top of me through a trip than I do by the crowds.

That's why we always get a suite with multiple balconies.

And no need to bring heavy books, just use the Kindle app on your phone.

While it’s a good plan to take breaks from the parks, it would probably be good to know of the best spots within the parks to take mini-breaks as well.

Top of my head, suggestions for MK and Epcot: On Mzk, the Hall of Presidents and the Peoplemover are both good attractions for breaks. In Epcot, the WS countries that show movies (Canada and France, I’m pretty sure it the two) as well as the gardens in the British pavilion.

If they don't want to interact with strangers then I definitely would NOT do a dessert party as you may be placed with strangers at your table.
We did the HEA dessert party and had our own table at the party. We did the plaza garden view and it was wonderful. We got a spot on the back fence and had our own little private bubble with some space around us. I am very introverted and dislike huge crowds of people because I'm short and feel claustrophobic in a huge crowd. The dessert party allowed me to avoid fighting the crowd to get a spot to watch the show.

We did the HEA dessert party and had our own table at the party. We did the plaza garden view and it was wonderful. We got a spot on the back fence and had our own little private bubble with some space around us. I am very introverted and dislike huge crowds of people because I'm short and feel claustrophobic in a huge crowd. The dessert party allowed me to avoid fighting the crowd to get a spot to watch the show.

Maybe that was true for your experience at HEA dessert party but for my experience at the Frozen dessert party it was my sister and I and we were placed with 2 groups of strangers.
I've heard of this being the case for all dessert parties depending on your party size and the number of seats at a table.
I'm introverted and did n ot really care for sharing a table with strangers but in those types of situations I get as extroverted as I can so I feel less uncomfortable.
I'm also visually impaired so yes not having to fight for front row viewing is great.
However I feel that if the OP's DH and DS are more borderline social anxiety ridden they may not want to potentially sit with strangers.

You're right about this...I totally forgot that the HEA dessert party was different.

So this was our dessert party/sharing table experience:

When we were a party of 2...
HEA (Tomorrowland Terrace seating) -- went 3 times in the last year, never had to share -- plenty of tables for 2 (they let us choose our own table 2 of 3 times)
FEA -- went once, had to share with a party of 2 and a party of 1 (but the party of 1 was a shy introvert and we made friends :))
SW -- went twice, once had to share with another couple who only showed up 15 minutes before it ended, and once were slated to have to share but the other two people were no-shows

When we were a party of 3...
HEA (Tomorrowland Terrace again) -- got our own table
FEA -- got our own table
SW -- got our own table
JBJB -- got our own table

Don't know if it was pure luck that we always got our own table when we went as a party of 3 or whether 3 is the minimum... @FastPasser. might know the answer to that.

As a PP mentioned, I'm short too, so having a reserved seat really helps in that regard, in addition to helping with the introvert aspect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter