WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stayed in October and still aren't able to make FP+ ~ maybe new since then? I do have Magic Bands but they told us they couldn't link our AP to them.

We stay often so we can use the resort pools and such.

My mom is a ap and she was able link it to magic band we didn't try it at the park yet we supposed to go on oct by couldn't. Was satin contemporary and they was the ones testing but now all should be. I have the premier pass which I had to Sally I get them to link but said they could do it so I could use it to enter the park just so I could make fat pass plus. Do you have the app from Disney try linking ten from their and if not call and they should be able to help. They have you magic bands but not use of fast pass plus that weird but all resort how should are use with fast pass plus. If the swan and dolphin can use fat pass plus but have to do it the same day. I now they have been having problems with them. Also letting aps test them was new I think later in oct so that's could be why but you should be able to know.

We are here at Disney this week. We started the day at Hollywood Studios. Unfortunately, the Toy Story ride was not working in the morning and into the early afternoon. By the time it was up, the standby line was 120 minutes. We left and went to Epcot for a late lunch, early dinner. I was able to get a test track return time with 110 minute wait. The ride went down just as we were entering, before our DAS was crossed off. Does anyone know if we can go back to Epcot tomorrow and use that DAS return time? We ended up leaving the park at 6:30 after riding only mission space. My son's two favorite rides are Toy Story and Test Track. He really doesn't care much about any of the others. Thanks

So I've only tried to get a DAS at Epcot once and have been less than interested in even trying (which means we don't do any rides) since then.

I have conditions that make it difficult to do stairs (especially when there are a lot of people around not being especially mindful) and also standing still on slanted/tilted floors causes a great amount of pain. When we went to Epcot I was told to rent a wheelchair.

We are locals and go to the parks a few times a week.... no way can I rent a wheelchair every time we stop in for an evening.

Have others had better experiences? Or is this just the canned answer I can expect from now on?

First, if you can't navigate stairs then you need to avoid those situations. There are not that many rides you are giving up in that regard.

Next, I would buy a portable, travel wheelchair. You don't have to rent. There is one we used for my mom that weighs 15 pounds. The cost of these wheelchairs range from $88 to $150 without tax. When you want to walk you use the wheelchair as a walker and push it yourself. It can be empty and you can push it. When you need to sit when their are slanted ramps and such then you can have a seat. I don't necessarily suggest this, but a few times my husband and I actually carried the wheelchair down and up a few stairs, but my mom only weighed around 110 pounds. The wheelchair had a seatbelt. Depending on your weight I believe the two kiddies could actually push you in some situations if they worked each side together. In the nursing home my mom would actually pedal the wheelchair with her feet herself and get around. This wheelchair folds up and fits in a lot of car trunks. There are rides where you can take the wheelchair right on the ride. This type of wheelchair would change your experience at Disney and I believe you could probably do 85% of the rides. I'm a woman in my sixties and pushed my mom all day in this wheelchair and I survived.

If you are not willing to make this adjustment then you may have to enjoy Disney in a different way. We went to see the shows and live entertainment and the way Disney would decorate the parks especially at Christmas. We only did about half of the rides. We still enjoyed our time at Disney; we could be together as a family.

It's really up to you. I would want to be with the family and enjoy Disney and I would make it work somehow.

Since the new system I just haven't ridden any rides at WDW at all...

Movement is best for my condition and sitting in a wheelchair isn't going to make it better or even be helpful and could worsen my condition.... my major problems are as I said... I can't go up and down stairs (especially in crowds where people are rude and pushy) and I can't stand still on an incline (Space Mountain, Soarin, It's a Small World, Space Ship Earth... plus I'm sure many I'm no thinking of off hand).

Until my passes expire I guess I will just keep trying to explain to CM at each ride why I can't stand in the queues and 90% of the time end up not riding because they just shrug and offer zero suggestions.

I'm confused. Why haven't you ridden any rides at all? The majority don't have inclines or stairs so is there some other issue that you experience preventing you from riding anything? For the minority of attractions that DO have inclines or stairs, talk to the CM at the entrance to the queue and explain your problem, but for the others, why haven't you ridden?

We are here at Disney this week. We started the day at Hollywood Studios. Unfortunately, the Toy Story ride was not working in the morning and into the early afternoon. By the time it was up, the standby line was 120 minutes. We left and went to Epcot for a late lunch, early dinner. I was able to get a test track return time with 110 minute wait. The ride went down just as we were entering, before our DAS was crossed off. Does anyone know if we can go back to Epcot tomorrow and use that DAS return time? We ended up leaving the park at 6:30 after riding only mission space. My son's two favorite rides are Toy Story and Test Track. He really doesn't care much about any of the others. Thanks

I will send you a PM with a suggestion.

I would love to see the first post updated on which attractions are giving out return time cards for wheelchairs. I am trying to plan our trip, and knowing which attractions give out cards would really help in knowing which attractions to use FP+ on.

Yes I would like to understand this topic too. I had a field report from a co-worker who checked out SW for me. She talked to the CM who was at the WC entrance and was told FP+ would be a waste because you will be given a time on a slip to come back . What's confusing is the discussion that of your needs are met with a WC is that you don't need a DAS card. So why would our DS need a return time and just can't wait in the WC access lane like before ?

Any info or thoughts???

My understanding is that the wheelchair entrances are giving return time cards that are completely separate from the DAS. I've seen pictures of them on various blogs about the DAS. What is not clear is what the official policy is on getting a wheelchair card instead of using your DAS for a return time. Can you use both options?

My understanding is that the wheelchair entrances are giving return time cards that are completely separate from the DAS. I've seen pictures of them on various blogs about the DAS. What is not clear is what the official policy is on getting a wheelchair card instead of using your DAS for a return time. Can you use both options?

If your needs are met by having a wheelchair, you don't get any special card. Your wheelchair serves as your cue to the cast members that you need mobility accommodations. In case of attractions that are not accessible via the standby line, the attendant may redirect you to an alternate entrance right away or give you a return card for later. I'm just not sure which attractions they are giving the return cards for.

Right I get that. My daughter is in a wheelchair AND has needs that require a DAS. What I'm not sure about is if she can get a wheelchair return card independent of her DAS, or if that is "cheating the system".

Right I get that. My daughter is in a wheelchair AND has needs that require a DAS. What I'm not sure about is if she can get a wheelchair return card independent of her DAS, or if that is "cheating the system".

I believe it is one or the other, but not both. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure there is an official answer. It would seem unfair if you could not do both since there is no limit on the number of WC return cards that you can collect, but the DAS is limited. And since you do not have the option of choosing to wait standby at those attractions if you are already holding a return time on your DAS.

You can have both a DAS and a wheelchair return return card at the same time. Several people have reported that it's even been suggested by CMs (at least at DL, if not WDW). Personally, I'd plan on not using the DAS for rides with a return card and just get a return card for those. Keep in mind, though, that I think the return cards do have a set return period (like a Fastpass) rather than being just "after x time" (the way that DAS does).

Just returned from a week at Walt Disney World. My daughter has a DAS card. We did not use it on rides with wheelchair return time cards. The return time cards are open ended, meaning you may return anytime after the time they give you. This is very helpful! We didn't do very well this trip with the new DAS & testing the new FP+ system but I think it's just going to require more planning. We did learn quickly that our daughter could not go with us to the rides to get the return times!

Just returned from a week at Walt Disney World. My daughter has a DAS card. We did not use it on rides with wheelchair return time cards. The return time cards are open ended, meaning you may return anytime after the time they give you. This is very helpful! We didn't do very well this trip with the new DAS & testing the new FP+ system but I think it's just going to require more planning. We did learn quickly that our daughter could not go with us to the rides to get the return times!

We returned from our Thanksgiving week trip! It was GREAT! The DAS worked out great for our daughter, no issues at all! I do have an observation....there were so many fewer ECV's there there have been in past trips. Maybe this proves the amount of people who were scamming to get a GAC was very high!

Yesterday we went to see the princesses from Frozen. As with other M&G without times posted, a DAS cannot be used.

I just wanted to say that the cm working this queue between 6:30 and 7pm last night and the people in line were fantastic. The cm took a count of how many people in each group/family. Since you were counted, it was perfectly fine to have people who couldn't wait long going in and out of line.

While this may sound chaotic, it really wasn't. It made for a very nice wait. In fact, it was almost like having a DAS, except a member of each party held a spot. And it was actually very well organized.

I would love to know which rides give wc return cards too. We are going in March and I am still trying to figure out how to plan which rides to use FP+ for, which rides to use DAS, and which rides to use wc return cards for. I know this system will take more planning but I am finding it hard to think through.

Do you remember which attractions you got wheelchair return times on? We were at WDW from October 25 thru November 9. It was not busy though, so there were no attractions giving wheelchair return times. (Thanks to the time of the year we went and using easywdw.com and touringplans.com to choose the quietest park for each day).

We were there over Thanksgiving week and got return time cards for:

Magic Kingdom
It's a Small World (weren't doing it at the beginning of the week for IASW but by end were so it's definitely crowd related)
Big Thunder Mountain
Jungle Cruise

Hollywood Studios
Star Tours

We were there over Thanksgiving week and got return time cards for:

Magic Kingdom
It's a Small World (weren't doing it at the beginning of the week for IASW but by end were so it's definitely crowd related)
Big Thunder Mountain
Jungle Cruise

Hollywood Studios
Star Tours
We were on all of those except Big Thunder Mountain during our trip and none of them had return time tickets in use.
It was not that bust though, so my guess is that they may not use the return time tickets when waits are short (all were short when we went).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter