WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
ECV question. On rides like Kilimanjaro Safari does one have to get a return time to get in line with the ECV?

I have MS. I don't go around talking about it. Here is different because I'm not looking someone in the eye it is anonymous basically. Last trip by the end I was so exhausted and had so much leg pain. I walk I don't use a wheelchair. I am strong and suck up the pain. I also know this year I have gotten progressively worse. My day ends by 11 am because I am so tired and I 'm just dealing with the constant pain somewhere in my body(legs, back, arms-my new issue). I don't want a wheelchair at Disney. I am not mentally or emotionally ready to give up and sit in a chair-period. I was reading about the DAS at the beginning of this thread on the Disney website and on allears. I felt confident and good that this would be good for me. I could get a return time go sit on a bench let the family do what they want and then we could go on the ride together as a family with minimal impact on my family or my body. I thought this was going to be good. Now I've read multiple pages in this thread that have taken my positive outlook away. What if I don't get a DAS? Will they turn me away because someone doesn't understand my problem? I'm clear and concise and educated, I can advocate for myself but I never thought a CM would just say no. Is being rejected an isolated occurrence or is that something that could happen? Will I have to keep explaining over and over my needs with a DAS? I don't want to share with every CM my health history. I spend lots of my time on the sidelines watching my family instead of being included and I just want to have fun on my trip and be part of them. I just wanted vacation to be a time I can live my life and not watch my life go by. I would like to hear positive things on this thread about DAS not only the problems so I can see the overall experience to make a better judgment if DAS will be right for me.

First off, I have JRA (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis) so I can relate to a lot of the situations you face with pain and decreasing stamina and wanting to avoid wheelchairs as a sign of failure. I grew up with those issues. Been there, done it and got the t-shirt to prove it. Unfortunately my disease went unchecked so I also ended up with a lot of joint damage/deformity and permanent disability. It's no longer a question of how much willpower I have to overcome my body's weaknesses; I plain cannot go out and about without wheels or do pretty much anything without a special tool. It's these tools (like carrying around a dressing stick all day as a third arm/reacher) that make the difference between me staying at home in my bedroom or existing in the world with some semblance of a normal life.

One of the concerns you're dealing with is that mental barrier prohibiting you from using a tool that can help you far more than any DAS/GAC or alternate ride entry thing. Having wheels means you can enjoy just walking through the park enjoying the sights and sounds with your family and not being left on the sidelines to wait for them. You do not have to use a wheelchair. Instead I'd recommend you try an ECV. This will provide you a much more comfortable seat, basket for your stuff and the ability to conserve your strength for the places you want to get up and walk for. It doesn't have the same stigma as a wheelchair because ECV folks can get up and walk. (Yes I know there are some ignorant fools who then think they're lazy, but you just drive past them and ponder their parentage as you dismiss them.) Point is an ECV will allow you to enjoy far more of your day than any pass would. You'll be able to watch parades and fireworks from anywhere instead of having to find a bench. You can stroll through Osborne Lights and actually enjoy it without actively trying to ignore the pain in your legs.

I resisted the idea of getting a power chair for so many years because I feared the emotional repercussions. I'd been told it was a sign of failure. I was told people would pity me or think less of me.

You know what I discovered the first day I went out in a power chair? The world. For the first time I could go through a mall and look at the merchandise without worrying about tripping, my legs hurting so much I'd fall or where the nearest seat was. I could actually live a normal life. And those few idiots who pitied or mocked me...? Well I either was so busy living I didn't notice them or I just zoomed right on past them to go enjoy something else. Now if some makes a crack at me, I just laugh and roll away. And I remind myself just how foolish I was to deny myself use of this valuable tool.

Think about it, would you scrub the floor with a toothbrush if you had a mop handy?

Truth is DAS is meant for people who have problems being inside the regular queues. It's not going to get you onto a ride quicker. It's not meant for people who cannot stand long times, because they'll just be standing elsewhere. It's not perfect and there are issues left in how it accommodates different disabilities.

You will most likely be told you're better off renting an ECV because honestly that is true. But don't be discouraged. That advice is not meant to be cruel or uncaring. It's just recognizing that you are forcing yourself to miss out on so much more by not using this tool.

ECV question. On rides like Kilimanjaro Safari does one have to get a return time to get in line with the ECV?

No. Standby and FP lines both are big enough for ECVs. After the Standby/FP merge you will be directed to a separate wheelie boarding area. That's where the designated bus (which can take one wheelchair and about 20+ transfer passengers) boards. You'll park your ECV there, transfer to the ride and depart.

No. Standby and FP lines both are big enough for ECVs. After the Standby/FP merge you will be directed to a separate wheelie boarding area. That's where the designated bus (which can take one wheelchair and about 20+ transfer passengers) boards. You'll park your ECV there, transfer to the ride and depart.
thank you! I've started to confuse myself!

One. Ore! Mom can't do stairs but doesn't need a specific ride vehicle at tsm. Can those two issues be reconciled?

I have MS
So does my FIL, and they denied him. I understand the frustration. He can't walk, so yes the wheel chair helps but it doesn't. Everybody isn't at the same level. For example,a das would be great for him because if we get a fast pass and he is asleep we lose our fastpass time. Now if we have a return time, it's ok we can come back. I know you understand where I'm coming from, they told us he can nap in line. I'm thinking to myself these aren't naps, he doesn't decide to go to sleep, or us being able to say 'hey in 30 mins you can sleep' it's just part of the disease. I would focus on not saying anything about getting tired and describe other ways you need help.

By the time we made our way back to TSM it was about 10:30. The wait was 110 minutes. Our return time was 1205.

You got your DAS at 10:30, and it would get you in to TSM at 12:05. During that 90 minutes, you pulled a FP for Star Tours that was valid in 30 minutes. You then attempted another attraction that had a 25 minute wait. Because the queue was too stressful for your son, you had to pull him out.

The solution to this would be to cancel the DAS for TSM at that time, and get one for the 25 minute queue? That would give you a 15 minute wait, then access to the attraction without the waiting in the queue. After that attraction is done, the DAS can get another wait time for TSM. Then you could ride Star Tours with your FPs.

One would hope not since you go all the way to being next to board when they send you over to the wheelchair section where we have waited almost an additional 2 hours for a wheelchair accessible vehicle

You got your DAS at 10:30, and it would get you in to TSM at 12:05. During that 90 minutes, you pulled a FP for Star Tours that was valid in 30 minutes. You then attempted another attraction that had a 25 minute wait. Because the queue was too stressful for your son, you had to pull him out. The solution to this would be to cancel the DAS for TSM at that time, and get one for the 25 minute queue? That would give you a 15 minute wait, then access to the attraction without the waiting in the queue. After that attraction is done, the DAS can get another wait time for TSM. Then you could ride Star Tours with your FPs.

Why would I want to start waiting for TSM all over again? We were killing time to get to TSM, canceling the TSM return time would have made that wait even longer. Plus it would have been more back tracking to go back to TSM for another return time.

I do not have a disability, but have and will be traveling with a friend who does, and plan on taking my special needs nephew (mild mental retardation) in a couple of years and all I can say is that I am So sorry for those of you that have to deal with this.

While I agree the old GAC was abused, it is ridiculous some of the hoops people need to jump through now for a shot an equally fun time. I'm grateful that Disney offers anything at all, but this new system seems so flawed.

I'll be keeping a close eye on how things progress. best of luck to you all, and I hope you have a great time despite this new frustration!

You got your DAS at 10:30, and it would get you in to TSM at 12:05. During that 90 minutes, you pulled a FP for Star Tours that was valid in 30 minutes. You then attempted another attraction that had a 25 minute wait. Because the queue was too stressful for your son, you had to pull him out.

The solution to this would be to cancel the DAS for TSM at that time, and get one for the 25 minute queue? That would give you a 15 minute wait, then access to the attraction without the waiting in the queue. After that attraction is done, the DAS can get another wait time for TSM. Then you could ride Star Tours with your FPs.

One bad thing about this system (the DAS) is how much running around you have to do. Get the time, go across the park, go back, go back the other way. I would think that going back to TSM to get a new time and then back to Star Tours would just be more walking back and forth.

That's one thing I really worry about - I have no idea how I am going to entertain my son while waiting for the ride times (especially after he has asked for the ride, and he cannot be distracted by anything at all) and I just can't go back and forth across the parks over and over again.

It's troubling that MS is getting lumped in with strictly mobility issues such as a broken ankle, where a wheelchair would suffice. "He can nap in line"??? He's not a toddler in a stroller who you can wake up when you reach the front of the line. The right thing is to let him recuperate until he is ready to go again, not wake him up at the end of the line. The fatigue in MS is neurological.

It's troubling that MS is getting lumped in with strictly mobility issues such as a broken ankle, where a wheelchair would suffice. "He can nap in line"??? He's not a toddler in a stroller who you can wake up when you reach the front of the line. The right thing is to let him recuperate until he is ready to go again, not wake him up at the end of the line. The fatigue in MS is neurological.
Exactly and they don't get that. When's he's asleep.. He's asleep. Sometimes no waking him and if we do he can be super confused and not know where he is at. It's a big old fail.

Exactly and they don't get that. When's he's asleep.. He's asleep. Sometimes no waking him and if we do he can be super confused and not know where he is at. It's a big old fail.

I'm confused. If he needs to sleep why wouldn't he go back to the resort or first aide while the rest of you use regular SB line or get FP with your tickets? And because he is sleeping you can't enter the DAS return line anyway as the person with the das is supposed to be with you and riding.

I don't get how the das would help him?

One would hope not since you go all the way to being next to board when they send you over to the wheelchair section where we have waited almost an additional 2 hours for a wheelchair accessible vehicle

Well she would just skip the ride rather than take a car someone else needed

That's one thing I really worry about - I have no idea how I am going to entertain my son while waiting for the ride times (especially after he has asked for the ride, and he cannot be distracted by anything at all) and I just can't go back and forth across the parks over and over again.

Would your son like Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom? That covers all but Tomorrowland. There is also a newer Pirate adventure game in Adventureland. AK has the Wilderness Explorers spread through out the park. Epcot has the Agent P thing in World Showcase and all those games after attractions in Future World. These were big hits with my son. He begs to do those things. He can't wait for cooler weather so he can play the outdoor ones longer.

Would a social story help to prepare him? Will you have an extra person with you who can get the wait times while you are doing something else with him? DAS is so much more work for the caregiver.

I'm confused. If he needs to sleep why wouldn't he go back to the resort or first aide while the rest of you use regular SB line or get FP with your tickets? And because he is sleeping you can't enter the DAS return line anyway as the person with the das is supposed to be with you and riding. I don't get how the das would help him?
We'll for us we live here, so no going back home. Also we don't know when he's going to sleep. It's 1 minute he's up and talking and the next he's not. Yes sometimes we can tell it's coming but sometimes it's not like that. If we get a fastpass and he falls asleep, we could miss our time. ( also wasting 3 fps somebody else could use) And it's not like a child sleeping, and we can just wake him up. After he's up, he'll probably be ok for a half hour to 3 hours. So while he was 'napping' we could do things like see and show ( where he would be ok to stay asleep.) Or get lunch or meet a greets. Then once feeling better enter the ride. It's a hit or miss. Sometimes it's a power nap (20 mins) others it might be 2 hours. We don't know. That's why stand by and fastpasses don't work for him. Then factor the additional wait time for the wheelchair rides because he can't transfer and it just doesn't work. Also who said we would ride the ride with his das? Nobody. Even if we could (which I know we cant) We want to ride together. I'm just saying, ms is over looked, IMO and a lot of people who have it, had a gac before and are now being denied. That's all I'm saying

I'm confused. If he needs to sleep why wouldn't he go back to the resort or first aide while the rest of you use regular SB line or get FP with your tickets? And because he is sleeping you can't enter the DAS return line anyway as the person with the das is supposed to be with you and riding.

I don't get how the das would help him?
It sounds as if he is falling asleep in his wheelchair unexpectedly. At that point it would disturb him to go to first aid and try to transfer him to a bed. With MS, the fatigue can be sudden and unexplainable (out of proportion to whatever activities or amount of sleep the night before).

There are so many different ways in which MS impacts a person that it is difficult to narrow down and express the appropriate need. The onus should be on the guest to explain the needs, but I think MS is confusing guests and cast members, because there is often a mobility issue and invisible issues.

I would encourage anyone with MS to write to Disney to explain how DAS did or didn't work for them, including if they were denied access. I'll plan to do this after our trip.

People forget that there are different forms of MS. My son in law has the progressive form. He is severely disabled and uses a power chair, but the MS has also affected his brain. He becomes very impatient and agitated if he has to wait for anything. Although I have no experience with Autism, his symptoms don't seem all that different. We are planning on taking him to WDW in May and I worry that he will not be given the DAS. Hopefully, by then, they will have worked out the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter