WDW and terminally ill adult

Status
Not open for further replies.

jendej

Earning My Ears
My sister (37), sadly has been diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer. She’s decided (against my many protests) to knock taking her kids to WDW off her bucket list. My other sister and I are going as her caregivers (or rather, one to care for her and one to care for her kids as she’s single).

Here are my biggest concerns:

1. On an average (just running errands, Dr appts, etc), we only get 3-5 good hours out of her a day. I was thinking of asking for a DAS citing her need to lie down to rest frequently and taking her back to first aid to do so. Is that feasible? Or do we really just need to focus on AM fastpasses, one of us take her back to the hotel to rest and then go back and do evening things?

2. I’m like 99.9% certain we’ll bring the wheelchair, but there’s also a good possibility that she might like an EVC in the Park. Is it possible to store her wherlchair somewhere while she uses the EVC and then be able to retrieve it before we leave?

3. How does security work with a wheelchair? Do we need to remove her bag from the chair or can they look at it while still attached?

TIA!

1 The DAS will not make wait times shorter You can go to GR and talk to the CM about her needs as it has to do with waiting in the standby lines ( and going to first aid between each ride/ while you are waiting for your return time might be more her more tierd) I would really try to have good touring plan and afternoon rest. I know people that use touring planes website and they say they never wait for anything longer then 20 minutes

2 yes you can store her wheelchair where they rent ECV but she will have to be alert at all times on the ECV as people will walk right infront of her.

3 yes all bags must be looked in and if they can ( like if they are not sown on the wheelchair) must come off so that they can look in the bag

Not to complain but just to reminisce when I was 5-6 years old .. I'm 30 now.. everyone who was in a wheelchair was able to go right up to the front of the line. Some people should still get to do this.. like your sister and her family. Is she on a wish trip? Are these available for adults?

touring planes website and they say they never wait for anything longer then 20 minutes

I'd love to know more about these touring planes (plans?) websites. Are they paid websites? Can you tell me the names of the sites? Maybe PM them if that is not allowed.

Not to complain but just to reminisce when I was 5-6 years old .. I'm 30 now.. everyone who was in a wheelchair was able to go right up to the front of the line. Some people should still get to do this.. like your sister and her family. Is she on a wish trip? Are these available for adults?

I'd love to know more about these touring planes (plans?) websites. Are they paid websites? Can you tell me the names of the sites? Maybe PM them if that is not allowed.
There was the rummer that people in a wheelchair did not have to wait ( and sometimes you got lucky and had a shorter wait than other but then sometimes you were not so lucky and had longer waits than other

You can go to touring planes website and do there free touring planes ( or pay for the upgrade) I have heard that they do a really good job

There was the rummer (rumor) that people in a wheelchair did not have to wait ( and sometimes you got lucky and had a shorter wait than other but then sometimes you were not so lucky and had longer waits than other

In my case, I definitely did not have to wait. Again this was 25 years ago. Another crazy fact about that trip was that my parents booked a moderate priced resort. Something happened and they were contacted that they were upgraded to the contemporary resort! And also they got a free dinner for the 4 of us at Chef Mickeys. I remember being able to see the fireworks.

We never stayed at such an expensive place again. We did stay at Caribbean beach resort and then with my DH we stayed at POP century. I loved POP Century. After that first trip we always had to wait in lines.. which is fine in our case. I've read that now when you are in line they have some experiences that are really fun. I don't really know what this means but it sounds exciting.

The longest we ever waited was for Soarin and it was just okay.

The wheelchair front of the line "deal" has long since ended.

I would opt for morning RD (if an option) with morning FP. She may or may not feel like going back after a midday break (the break is a great idea!); perhaps you and the other sister could take turns staying with her while the other takes the kids back to a park???

1 The DAS will not make wait times shorter You can go to GR and talk to the CM about her needs as it has to do with waiting in the standby lines ( and going to first aid between each ride/ while you are waiting for your return time might be more her more tierd) I would really try to have good touring plan and afternoon rest. I know people that use touring planes website and they say they never wait for anything longer then 20 minutes

2 yes you can store her wheelchair where they rent ECV but she will have to be alert at all times on the ECV as people will walk right infront of her.

I understand about the DAS not being a front of the line pass, but I guess I don’t see how it would be more exhausting to rest at first aid until the return time. Could you elaborate on that?

I’m not worried about her on the ECV. If we have the wheelchair in the park and it becomes an issue, we figure we can switch it for the wheelchair.

My sister (37), sadly has been diagnosed with terminal ovarian cancer. She’s decided (against my many protests) to knock taking her kids to WDW off her bucket list. My other sister and I are going as her caregivers (or rather, one to care for her and one to care for her kids as she’s single).

Here are my biggest concerns:

1. On an average (just running errands, Dr appts, etc), we only get 3-5 good hours out of her a day. I was thinking of asking for a DAS citing her need to lie down to rest frequently and taking her back to first aid to do so. Is that feasible? Or do we really just need to focus on AM fastpasses, one of us take her back to the hotel to rest and then go back and do evening things? a DAS will not do any good. her issues are mobility or stamina related and thus she does not qualify for one. and anyone can use first aid to lie down and rest or head back to the resort for a few Horus

2. I’m like 99.9% certain we’ll bring the wheelchair, but there’s also a good possibility that she might like an EVC in the Park. Is it possible to store her wherlchair somewhere while she uses the EVC and then be able to retrieve it before we leave? yup. same place where you rent the ECV,

3. How does security work with a wheelchair? Do we need to remove her bag from the chair or can they look at it while still attached? gotta be removed

TIA!

if you can swing it, I would instead suggest spending the money on one of the VIP experiences. of course the most expensive one is going to get her front of the line privileges everywhere, but some of the less expensive options can be useful too. depending in which park you want to focus on, you may want to consider a monorail report as well. at minimum, one that does not share the busses with any other resort.

I understand about the DAS not being a front of the line pass, but I guess I don’t see how it would be more exhausting to rest at first aid until the return time. Could you elaborate on that?

I’m not worried about her on the ECV. If we have the wheelchair in the park and it becomes an issue, we figure we can switch it for the wheelchair.

because FA is in one spot.. and running back and forth to it between rides is exhausting. furthermore ANYONE can use FA and there might not be an open bed for her to rest on. you rest by doing the sedate attractions like Carousel of Progress or hall of Presidents. booking a table service meal.

The wheelchair front of the line "deal" has long since ended.

I would opt for morning RD (if an option) with morning FP. She may or may not feel like going back after a midday break (the break is a great idea!); perhaps you and the other sister could take turns staying with her while the other takes the kids back to a park???

What is an RD? Unfortunately, I think we’ll be lucky to get two concurrent hours out of her (the 3-5 is cumulative, not necessarily concurrent, and WDW is a whole different animal). So we’re likely looking at 2 hrs in the park, 3-4 hours rest, then a short return to the park.

I’m feeling awfully discouraged. I just don’t know how to make this trip work for her.

Because the park are quite big and most of the first aids are at the front so if you are in the back of the park she Willis have to go across the park witch could take 20 minutes each way and by this time the return time is up. Most lines are in doors and or under shade so it would be the same for her to wait inside the line.

I am not saying not to go to GR and talk to them I would go and let them know your concerns for her waiting in line and as if there is something they can do I just do not think the DAS will do what you think it will do

What is an RD? Unfortunately, I think we’ll be lucky to get two concurrent hours out of her (the 3-5 is cumulative, not necessarily concurrent, and WDW is a whole different animal). So we’re likely looking at 2 hrs in the park, 3-4 hours rest, then a short return to the park.

I’m feeling awfully discouraged. I just don’t know how to make this trip work for her.
RD is getting to the park when it opens this is When wait times are lowest you can get a lot done. Also the end of the day is good too

I am so sorry about your sister. She is way too young to be facing that. :sad1:

If it were me, I would have one dedicated person with her and another with the kids (I think you had already said that), book early FPs, and follow her lead and not worry if she only makes it and hour or two at a time (I assume the kids would stay in the park and not be on her schedule?)

I’m sure they would not have a problem with her laying down at first aid if she needs to, given the circumstances.

Perhaps one of you could take care of her in the morning and swap out with the person taking the kids in the evening?

She’s going on a “Dream” trip with the Dream Foundation. She’s on disability so there’s no way to spring for any extras (my sister and I are already splitting the cost for one of us to go as they only cover one caregiver).

This also means we will likely be staying off-site at one of the foundation’s corporate sponsors’ hotels, which is going to make going back to the hotel a pain.

Unfortunately the Genie Passes (front-of-the-line passes) are only available to children with life-threatening conditions through Give Kids the World.

I’m lost on how in the world we’re going to be able to swing this.

Because the park are quite big and most of the first aids are at the front so if you are in the back of the park she Willis have to go across the park witch could take 20 minutes each way and by this time the return time is up. Most lines are in doors and or under shade so it would be the same for her to wait inside the line.

I am not saying not to go to GR and talk to them I would go and let them know your concerns for her waiting in line and as if there is something they can do I just do not think the DAS will do what you think it will do

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of using it for rides with longer wait times that she really wants to go on (tbh she doesn’t like open air roller coasters so those are ones we’d ride without her). I guess I just imagined if there was a ride with a long wait time then she could rest and we could take the kids to ride rides with shorter wait times/ones she doesn’t care about and then get her for the ride when she’s feeling up to it/the wait time’s up.

I am so sorry about your sister. She is way too young to be facing that. :sad1:

If it were me, I would have one dedicated person with her and another with the kids (I think you had already said that), book early FPs, and follow her lead and not worry if she only makes it and hour or two at a time (I assume the kids would stay in the park and not be on her schedule?)

I’m sure they would not have a problem with her laying down at first aid if she needs to, given the circumstances.

Perhaps one of you could take care of her in the morning and swap out with the person taking the kids in the evening?

Thanks. I’m not too worried about the caregiving portion of the trip. We’re pretty used to it by now. I am worried that given what I understand summer wait times to be in the park, she’s going to spend 2 hrs in line, ride a ride, then go back to the hotel only to come back 5 hours later and do the whole thing over again, and that will be it.

I would think the Dream Foundation would be able to help set things up for you, much like Make-A-Wish does for kids. You should contact them directly about your concerns and find solutions.

Thanks. I’m not too worried about the caregiving portion of the trip. We’re pretty used to it by now. I am worried that given what I understand summer wait times to be in the park, she’s going to spend 2 hrs in line, ride a ride, then go back to the hotel only to come back 5 hours later and do the whole thing over again, and that will be it.
Fast Passes for sure .. another thing I was thinking was that she may have more energy than you think because she wants to do it. I know that sounds silly but I've seen people do it before. Make sure you plan everything out.. what rides are a MUST.. if you make a top 5 list and get those top 5 things done it will be worth it.

I think the most important part is her spending fun times with her children. Encourage each of them to pick the big important things and get those done on fast passes. What does your sister say about all of this? She wants to go right? I'm sure she is dreaming and thinking about it all.

You are a wonderful sister for doing this for her and her children. God Bless.

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of using it for rides with longer wait times that she really wants to go on (tbh she doesn’t like open air roller coasters so those are ones we’d ride without her). I guess I just imagined if there was a ride with a long wait time then she could rest and we could take the kids to ride rides with shorter wait times/ones she doesn’t care about and then get her for the ride when she’s feeling up to it/the wait time’s up.

If you do get a DAS then she will have to ride everything that she uses the DAS for she can not get a DaS return time and then say to her kids ok go on this ride without me. If you have not seen the DAS stick then I would read it. The DAS is not DX based but need base she may have a need for the DAS. but she you who ever is going with her will need to think about her needs and how this has to do with waiting in line ( that does not have to do with stamina or the use of a wheelchair)

for the most part unless you are going during a very busy time or you are going opening day most wait time is about 30-45 minutes beside for the top rides at the park so getting to the park when they open ( really 30 minutes before park opens) and then having FP for about 60minutes after park opens doing your 3 FP rides and then if she needs to go back to the hotel for a rest or resting in the park, and back fro the night for night time things

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!