Ways to get your contract to pass ROFR?

cep101

Mouseketeer
I put an offer in for a contract and it was accepted! Still waiting to sign the paperwork and send it to ROFR.

It’s for AKL, so I was thinking... are there ways to make a contract less appealing to Disney? It seems like they like to take contracts of 150 or more quite a bit. The one I am trying to purchase is 110.

My contract has no points until later this year, so I wondered about if the sellers borrowed against both 2019 and 2020 maybe Disney wouldn’t want it? In order for Disney to sell it, it has to be whole so they’d have to wait for a bit to sell it if they did that.

Anyone have any ideas? I wonder how they are going to handle all the purchases happening before the change. Will they be nice and let most go through or grab a lot of them up?

I put an offer in for a contract and it was accepted! Still waiting to sign the paperwork and send it to ROFR.

It’s for AKL, so I was thinking... are there ways to make a contract less appealing to Disney? It seems like they like to take contracts of 150 or more quite a bit. The one I am trying to purchase is 110.

My contract has no points until later this year, so I wondered about if the sellers borrowed against both 2019 and 2020 maybe Disney wouldn’t want it? In order for Disney to sell it, it has to be whole so they’d have to wait for a bit to sell it if they did that.

Anyone have any ideas? I wonder how they are going to handle all the purchases happening before the change. Will they be nice and let most go through or grab a lot of them up?

I think if the price is low they may take it no matter what.

I think they prefer contracts that they can sell NOW (have current points).

I think there is some randomness that you can't at all control in that they may be looking for a particular
UY or even a particular unit (to bundle up).

I think.
I don't know.
lol

Personally I feel there will be a HUGE amount of contracts in ROFR this month due to the 1/19 cut off issue. They will probably let the vast majority pass if I had to guess. AKV is a resort that they frequently take (10 to 15%) of the time. The odds are in your favor that you'll get through. Although the drunkin monkey may have different ideas due to unannounced direct price increases.

Wow. I just went and looked at a couple of brokers rofr reports. DVC has been very busy or plans to be.

Disney only takes back about 2% of contracts. I wouldn’t put myself at a disadvantage with missing or moved points just to mitigate that small risk. Pick your contract, cross your fingers, and find another one if Disney takes it.

Disney only takes back about 2% of contracts. I wouldn’t put myself at a disadvantage with missing or moved points just to mitigate that small risk. Pick your contract, cross your fingers, and find another one if Disney takes it.

That number seems low. One company for December had 27% taken back. Here it is off their website. I do realize it is just December. They state the average taken back from Jan-Nov was 9.3%. So December was high for the year.

In the month of December, Disney exercised their right of first refusal (ROFR) on 55 of 204 Disney Vacation Club (DVC) contracts sold through the DVC Resale Market, representing 27% of the contracts sold. The waiver rate for December was 73%.

Last edited:
My guess is it really depends on what they have waiting on a wait list. If they can exercise knowing they have a direct buyer it seems like an easy decision. I am not sure how connected those might be, but it seems logical.

Having had a few ROFRd this past year, I’m convinced price is a good driver nowadays. I negotiate a hard bargain, as soon as I what I saw as ‘overpaid’ I had no problems.
I had good bargains taken which were stripped.
I think they also also concentrated on certain resorts and that increased your chances. In the last few years we have definitely had them concentrate on BLT, then SSR and AKL, now OKW.

I just had an AKV contract taken for $95/pt and it was stripped until 2020. I thought being it being stripped may help it pass but I guess the price/pt was too low.

I just had an AKV contract taken for $95/pt and it was stripped until 2020. I thought being it being stripped may help it pass but I guess the price/pt was too low.

For some reason Disney buys a lot of stripped contracts.

Does an International seller have any impact? I just had a stripped contract taken as well. The new one is priced higher but also from an international seller.

Could Disney be adding back stripped points? Who's going to know?

They can't. It doesn't cost them anything extra to hold on to them though, assuming the MF's for the used points have been paid by someone else. The money they pay gets tied up until they can resell, but when they're buying at 95 and selling at 176, the return on that capital is pretty swell.

About 18-24 months ago, the take rate was only 2%. It had been at that rate for a while at that time. A disboard member was even tracking manually I think and posted it either monthly or quarterly. But over the last year and a half it seems like they've been taking a higher percentage than that, especially at the resorts already named (BLT, SSR, AKV, and recently OKW). I wish I could see annual numbers for 2017 and 2018 but the resale sites seem to only give it by month.

About 18-24 months ago, the take rate was only 2%. It had been at that rate for a while at that time. A disboard member was even tracking manually I think and posted it either monthly or quarterly. But over the last year and a half it seems like they've been taking a higher percentage than that, especially at the resorts already named (BLT, SSR, AKV, and recently OKW). I wish I could see annual numbers for 2017 and 2018 but the resale sites seem to only give it by month.

DVC resale market says 10.5% for 2018 - 27% for December alone.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/dvc-right-of-first-refusal-rofr-december-18-report/

I really do not think there is any method to their rofr process. However, a low price does awaken the monkey. I have 8 resale contracts, purchased over the last ten years. Some I was sure would be taken passed and others I thought would pass were taken. Back around 5 or 6 years ago, when bcv started to climb, i put in an offer, had it accepted actually called back to raise my price thinking it would go through...it was taken. Best of luck with rofr. It really seems to be a game of roulette.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter