Washington DC trip Need help..

I'm gonna follow this thread also as I'd like to get down to dc one of these days.

Last month my husband and son were going to spend one night in DC after a basketball game but we had an ice storm and had to cancel the hotel portion. Now we were within 24 hrs so they could have charged us but they were very nice about knowing that we couldn't get down there. The name of the hotel was Fairfield Inn and Suites right in downtown. Within walking distance to lots of places. At the time I was following Tripadvisor and they had very good reviews.

You can visit the Supreme Court during M-F (non holidays). If there are hearings going on, you're allowed to sit for like 10-15 minutes. If they're not in session. they give you a short tour of the courtroom and then you can tour the building as well. That was fun!

Smithsonian Natural History museum has some kind of Jazz and Dinner event when I was there (10 years ago!) but I don't know if they still do something like that. That was fun!

I might also mention - food. If you are a fan of Top Chef and tv chefs, you should probably try out one of Jose Andres's (Jaleo's is fun - try Sangria hour if you wanna try it without totally breaking the bank - http://www.jaleo.com/menus/dc), Spike Mendelsohn's (he's more "regular man, regular price" foods, so any of his places work, but Good Stuff Eatery or We, The Pizza might be my picks - you can eat here in DC and not feel like you're broke:) - http://goodstuffeatery.com/locations/capitol-hill#menu or http://wethepizza.com/menu/washington-d-c, Mike Isabella's (Graffiato's would be my pick), and Michael Voltaggio's places (I love Volt, but that's a trip to Frederick, MD - Range is in DC and also good).

I'm a sucker for trying Top Chef places when I travel, so you can do it in DC at high end prices or more reasonable ones:)...

Since I'm a foodie, I would make time for one "food" experience in DC:)...

We were only there three days but some highlights were:

Bike tour of the monuments. Highly recommend- it was a three hour tour and covered a lot of ground-we saw everything from the Washington monument all the way to Jefferson memorial. Kids loved it and we even had a trailer for the 3yo.

Fords' theatre. Had separate audio tours for kids and grown ups.(bought tickets online).

Going to the top of the Washington monument (timed tickets I got ahead of time).

Air and Space Museum. It gets very crowded; get here at opening if possible. We spent most of the day there.

Kids also enjoyed national archives more than I thought they would; there were some cool interactive exhibits. This is also a timed ticket.

We weren't too impressed with the natural history museum(we are members at the one in NY) and dc unfortunately wanted no part of the American history museum. I bribed them with gelato so that I could see the Vermeers at the national gallery.

We stayed at the Omni Shoreham. It was convenient to the metro and has a pool which was nice since we were there at the end of august. It is also walking distance to the zoo. I booked our trip late so no chance for a White House tour. Maybe next time. We had so much fun. Also, not sure where you are traveling from but we took the train from NY and it was so easy.

We stayed at the Washington Hilton and the service was impeccable. We had a red eye flight from LA then took public transport from the airport so were exhausted when we arrived around 11am and incredibly they were able to check us in (and apologised that they didn't have a higher room available - after basically no sleep the third floor was just fine!).

We had bad luck with the zoo. It was incredibly hot so basically all the animals were locked away. After the first hour it seemed we'd travelled 10,000 miles to just see a cat (and we've got two of those at home!) but luckily they also have an indoor enclosure for the pandas and they were well worth the trip!

For the monuments we made good use of the Circulator bus. It costs $1 for 2 hours and stops at all the monuments so definitely saves a lot of walking! You need to have a SmarTrip card though or you have to pay each time you board, which would really add up.

You can go on the metro website and see how much fares are going to cost plus travel time. If you plan on using make sure your hotel is easily walking distance OR some hotels that are further out offer a shuttle to the metro station. Check Groupon- sometimes they have good deals for hotels. Plan on waiting in line for security checks 30 minutes to hour. IF YOU PLAN on going to the holocaust- you can try to get admission tickets early online. If not you will have to try to get them day of- which is very hard to get. If you are active duty military you have better chances.

I might also mention - food. If you are a fan of Top Chef and tv chefs, you should probably try out one of Jose Andres's (Jaleo's is fun - try Sangria hour if you wanna try it without totally breaking the bank - http://www.jaleo.com/menus/dc), Spike Mendelsohn's (he's more "regular man, regular price" foods, so any of his places work, but Good Stuff Eatery or We, The Pizza might be my picks - you can eat here in DC and not feel like you're broke:) - http://goodstuffeatery.com/locations/capitol-hill#menu or http://wethepizza.com/menu/washington-d-c, Mike Isabella's (Graffiato's would be my pick), and Michael Voltaggio's places (I love Volt, but that's a trip to Frederick, MD - Range is in DC and also good).

I'm a sucker for trying Top Chef places when I travel, so you can do it in DC at high end prices or more reasonable ones:)...

Since I'm a foodie, I would make time for one "food" experience in DC:)...

Volt is owned by BRYAN Voltaggio, not Michael. You could always check out Range Restaurant, in the Chevy Chase Pavillion, which is another restaurant owned by Bryan.

If you have a car I suggest George Washington's Mount Vernon. Its outside the city no where near the Metro so you need some way to get there. The first two times I went was with school trips as a chaperone and then drove out with my family. I also think they have some sort of boat that takes you down the Potomac from DC and also some tour companies have shuttles.

It does have an admission charge since its not run by the Federal government but its easily a full 8 hour day.

Volt is owned by BRYAN Voltaggio, not Michael. You could always check out Range Restaurant, in the Chevy Chase Pavillion, which is another restaurant owned by Bryan.

Brain fart - yes, I knew that - darn my typing fingers...thanks for the correction! I blame getting the norovirus this week for my brain not operating (yes, it's a stomach illness, but I'm sure it affects the brain...or at least the brain to hand connection:)...

Honestly, there is a lot that you could do for free, so I would probably skip some of the museums that charge entrance fees since it'll be a relatively short trip. I also highly recommend using public transportation or Uber because driving in the city is not for the faint of heart. My personal recommendations would be to spend one day at the zoo, and the rest of the time down by the Mall. Air and Space is such a fun museum! I also really love American History, but my DH prefers Natural History. Both are worth checking out. I haven't been to the newest of the museums (American Indian or African American), but I've heard that they're both really nice. There are also several art galleries that may or may not interest your family. There's a sculpture garden on the mall that has a bunch of fun abstract/whimsical pieces, and might be a good place to let off some steam. Other people have also mentioned some of the tours that are offered, such as the Capital building.

Personally, I would skip the Newseum unless you really, really, really like reading. I've been twice and both times I thought it was interesting, but not interesting enough to justify the expense.

Unfortunately, the Washington Monument will be closed until Spring of 2019, but it can be fun to walk around and explore the other monuments. The war memorials are beautiful and very moving, especially the Vietnam memorial. There are also several tour bus companies that run in the area, generally out of Union Station, which is a nice way to get oriented.

Just two things to keep in mind: 1) DC is a relatively small city. If your family doesn't mind walking a little bit, it can often be faster to walk than Metro, especially if you need to switch trains. For example, if you were trying to get from the Smithsonian station to the Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station, it might be faster to walk. 2) To get into the Smithsonian museums, you have to go through security. They have a whole list of prohibited things, including pocket knives. DH occasionally forgets this, and had to leave his pocket knife hidden under a giant planter on the sidewalk once because we didn't have our car nearby and he didn't want it to get confiscated. (It actually was still there when we returned to retrieve it!)

We came coNtacted our Senator 6 months prior to the trip and got a private tour of the Capitol . I am from Kentucky so it was through Mitch McConnells office... no political comments please ... but we got to see more things because he is the Senate Majority leader so did get to see more than the regular tour. Like the Majority Leaders office and Bob Dole balcony at the Capital . A private balcony overlooking the front of the capital . We loved our White House tour that was also booked through the Senators office . So I highly recommend contacting your Senator or Congressman to see if you can get any tours through them

Also from KY and we are going in March. We went through Andy Barr's office and have been impressed with the response and professionalism. Looking forward to the trip.

Honestly, there is a lot that you could do for free, so I would probably skip some of the museums that charge entrance fees since it'll be a relatively short trip. I also highly recommend using public transportation or Uber because driving in the city is not for the faint of heart. My personal recommendations would be to spend one day at the zoo, and the rest of the time down by the Mall. Air and Space is such a fun museum! I also really love American History, but my DH prefers Natural History. Both are worth checking out. I haven't been to the newest of the museums (American Indian or African American), but I've heard that they're both really nice. There are also several art galleries that may or may not interest your family. There's a sculpture garden on the mall that has a bunch of fun abstract/whimsical pieces, and might be a good place to let off some steam. Other people have also mentioned some of the tours that are offered, such as the Capital building.

Personally, I would skip the Newseum unless you really, really, really like reading. I've been twice and both times I thought it was interesting, but not interesting enough to justify the expense.

Unfortunately, the Washington Monument will be closed until Spring of 2019, but it can be fun to walk around and explore the other monuments. The war memorials are beautiful and very moving, especially the Vietnam memorial. There are also several tour bus companies that run in the area, generally out of Union Station, which is a nice way to get oriented.

Just two things to keep in mind: 1) DC is a relatively small city. If your family doesn't mind walking a little bit, it can often be faster to walk than Metro, especially if you need to switch trains. For example, if you were trying to get from the Smithsonian station to the Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station, it might be faster to walk. 2) To get into the Smithsonian museums, you have to go through security. They have a whole list of prohibited things, including pocket knives. DH occasionally forgets this, and had to leave his pocket knife hidden under a giant planter on the sidewalk once because we didn't have our car nearby and he didn't want it to get confiscated. (It actually was still there when we returned to retrieve it!)

The zoo is great, BUT...2 things...
1. There really is no close public transit option - you will have a long walk from the Metro station...
2. It's built on a really big hill. This can get exhausting, especially in the heat.

I really enjoy that zoo, but I go when it's not too hot and when I drive in (or get dropped off)...

1. There really is no close public transit option - you will have a long walk from the Metro station...
2. It's built on a really big hill. This can get exhausting, especially in the heat.

I really enjoy that zoo, but I go when it's not too hot and when I drive in (or get dropped off)...

Use the Cleveland Park Metro stop for the zoo; it's a flat walk versus the Woolley Park stop, which is an uphill walk.

Oh yes I now remember both. The other thing is we have a pretty major zoo here so there is not much different to see since at the time the Pandas were not on display. Not sure I recall the reason, maybe they were trying to make new baby Pandas at the time. ;)

Also we were there in the summer and my sister who lived there was begging us to get out of the house since after a few hours the animals go hide in the shade. We pretty much got there at noon.

Not the OP, but thanks for all the tips. I have to go to a conference over the 4th of July and DH and the kids are tagging along to explore while I'm in classes.

Not the OP, but thanks for all the tips. I have to go to a conference over the 4th of July and DH and the kids are tagging along to explore while I'm in classes.
Just be aware that Fourth of July on the Mall (near all the Smithsonians) is a madhouse. You'll need to add in extra time wherever you go and the metro stations are packed.

Also, to those of you planning trips with flexible dates, please be aware that Washington DC is literally built on a giant swamp, so it gets very hot and humid in the summer. Not quite Disney hot, but the humidity is oppressive.

We recently stayed at the Hyatt Place National Mall. It included breakfast and the location was great. You will walk a LOT. Be prepared to not be able to see nearly as much as you think. It's amazing how quickly the time goes in DC.

Also, the 8 year old would probably love the National Zoo if they don't have a big zoo nearby.

My family of 3 stayed at the Holiday Inn Capitol on the mall this past summer. The location was in walking distance of most of the museums and the hotel was great. It was clean, spacious room, and a rooftop pool. We got a great rate through a discount site. Things we really enjoyed....

Touring the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. We had to get tickets the morning of at the ticket booth located near the Bureau. I think we were there around 9 am and were able to reserve tickets for a tour later in the day. They were free!

Sunset bike tour of the monuments through Bike and Roll DC. This was fabulous!! We rode to all of the monuments. At each stop the guide would give us a little info and then time to explore (off of the bikes). The riding was leisurely and most enjoyable on a hot summer evening and we breezed though the crowds. My 7 year old can ride a bike, but not well enough to navigate a busy sidewalk or for an extended period. We were able to rent a tag along and attached it to my hubbys bike. She could pedal of she wanted, but didnt have to. All three of us agreed that this was the highlight of our trip.

The outdoor sculpture gardens in the mall. One of them had a lovely fountain, restaurant, and outdoor live music on the weekend. I believe it was the National Gallery of Art Jazz in the Garden series.

We also enjoyed all of the free museums and botanical gardens.

I've been to DC a bunch and my advise echoes slit of the above. There is lots to see and you will never see it all and don't try to do it all, make list and be flexible.

"Walking distance " is rellative, things are much further than they seem.

Bring lots of snacks, real food options are sparse and busy at the mall.

Make use of the lockers at the museums, they are cheap like a quarter.

Embrace mass transit. I'm from a city that didn't have a metro. My first experiace was in DC and it gave confidence when had to use the metros in forgin cities, later in life. But get a Smart Trip Card. Also don't forget the buses and the Circulator.

I recommend the National Cathedral, über or the bus. One bus leaves from Fargot Square straight up embassy really row, when did it the bus driver and passenger gave me a embassy by embassy narration.

I also like the national portrait gallery. Both are lands of calm in the storm of DC.

The national portrait gallery is up in the Penn Quarter near the spy museaum. There all types of restuaunts up there.

I liked the residence inn capital hill, it in walking distance to Safeways and had the best free hotel breakfast I've ever had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter