Was I wrong?????

Jon99

DIS Veteran
After a tremendous evening at the Candlelight Processional we headed over to Le Cellier for dinner... Food was great, but we had a horrible experience with our waiter.. I am a fairly fast eater and it took us over 2 hours for dinner because the service was so incredibly show, always over 10 minutes and usually about 15 minutes between his intial visit to getting our drinks, to getting our bread, to asking us for another drink, from ordering desert and getting the desert... It came to the point were were asked another waiter if we could have another round of drinks. The table next to were we were seated at had a couple seated at the same time we were, when we left that table was on its third couple who were eating their meals....

End result, I was so furious, I totally stiffed the waiter on the tip.... Never done that before and felt bad, but by gosh I didn't feel the need to tip $15 for such lousy service!!

i can understand your frustration, but my question to you is were you all on the CP dinner package? if so, the gratuity was included. if not, then we probably would not have left a 15% tip, but would have left something. our oldest son has worked as a wait person. it is not easy to live on their salary and tips.

If the service was that poor, then I feel it was fair not to leave a tip, and I would have told him in person the reason why.

Didn't someone already post about this? I think they ate at another rest. and had a dinner package also.
They had terrible service, too.

I think they said it was because the tip was included.

Lisajl

I don't think I posted this, but I had a similar experience at Akershus on a CP package. Almost 2 hours for a buffet meal, which we chose so we'd have time to shop. GRRRR!

The manager told us our server was on his first day and was very nervous. He apologized, but IMO it was a ridiculously long meal.

Jon99:
No. I don't think you were wrong at all. I might have left a small tip myself, just to get the message across.
But if you were on a package, I guess it's a moot point as far as your server is concerned.
The whole "tipping" issue comes up now and then and always provokes interesting discussion. Experience with "gratuity included" situations seems to suggest what might become more commonplace if the entire concept of tipping were done away with and meals were priced so servers could have a suitable wage.

I don't think you were wrong. Easy or not for a wait person to live on tips, if the person has NOT done their job in the first place, then they haven't earned the tip, IMO. In that situation, I think maybe you should have spoken to the Manager and expressed your dis-satisfaction at the time.

Tip already included should not be a poor excuse for service, even in the UK where servers are better paid and expected tips are less (and so arguably service is poorer in than in the US) that would be unacceptable.

Hi,
Just want to put in my 2 cents. I leave a tip based on the performance of the server. A tip is for service, not what others think are a manditory or based on some one elses preconceived notion of what I should leave. Now having said that. You were right in not giving a tip if your meal was not served in a timely fashion, or sevice was dismal at best. It would be a shame if it was already included and I have had it removed with a manager in agreement before when I once had a horrible server. I just explained the reasoning behind my not paying the gratuity included and the manager removed it. I still frequent the establishment but also ask for another server if this person is working that night.

I figure I pay good hard earned money and need to be treated right. I have always tipped well if the service is good. I feel it is up to the server to work for the tip.....it is not a given.
That is why the good servers get the good tips.

I hope that next time you go to LeCeillier you have a better server. I love it there and would not, not go back because of poor service.........the food is too yummy.

You did right in my opinion.

Betsy

My family felt this way for awhile too, but various factors changed our minds. We still tip, but if the service isn't great, or it's actually bad, then we leave a considerably lower tip. On a cruise last January our housekeeper was pretty bad. She never made up the sofa bed, though she saw it was used to sleep on each night, and when we would call her to ask for blankets and sheets for it, she took forever to bring them and then seemed annoyed when she came. Also, unless we specifically asked her, she would just leave the supplies on the sofa and lt us make the bed ourselves. It wasn't that time consuming but we just didn't feel we should have had to do it each night. Also, we constantly had to request more towels, soaps, etc. as we would run out and that too took forever to actually receive. Her service really paled in comparison to the butler we had, who always brought us any food or drinks we wanted as soon as we requested them. Since we were staying in the 2nd most expensive suite onboard, we felt her service should have been better and decided that we would give her a very small tip, nothing near the recommended amount,where or butler received more thant the suggested amount since he was so good. The last night, however, she told us that the people is the biggest suite, which was next to us, really ran her ragged the whole trip. They had 8 people and 4 kids in the room and just continually called her for items throughout the day and the kids would call her as a joke and not want anything, and so basically by the time she got to our room each night she was simply exhausted. Now I know it is her job to work regardless, we realied that it was not always her fault and so we increased her tip, though still less that the other staff members. So it's possible that this was the case with your waiter, maybe he had another table that was quite large, etc. I know it's not an exucse, but maybe just an explanation of his peformance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter