Was he within his rights as a resort guest?

Like it or not, this man has purchased more "entitlement" than someone staying at a value resort. I'm sure that was his expectation, and it is a wholly reasonable expectation.

Totally and respectfully disagree with you. The resort dining rooms are not part of some resort package that you pay extra for. They are restaurants, open to not only park guests, but anyone who wants to drive there and eat, regardless of whether they are staying at a Disney resort or not. Disney doesn't grant first dining preference to resort guests. Just not the way it works, and they knew it.

They were told to make ADRs. They did not - that was their decision. But then to expect to not face consequences for their decision? Entitlement attitude, pure and simple.

Since this family was staying at the Poly they could have gone up to the room and ordered room service. Once there get on the phone with Guest services or stop to the concierge on the way up and make some ADRs. There are restaurants that don't require ADRs on site; go stand in line there. It isn't that they couldn't get a meal. He wanted what he wanted, but didn't want to play by the rules. I hope he understands he was given a gift, not an entitlement. I hope they tipped very well and thanked the cast members profusely.

In many marriages the wife would have made some ADRs w/o the hubby knowing. She broke the code and we may have to revoke her privledges...:lmao: :rolleyes1 Gosh if they had kids with them I sure hope they were able to get them into a character meal. It would be awful if they completely missed out on that experience. Why ask your experienced friend for advice on something they KNOW if you're just going to ignore it?

We were there!
Unless there were 2 screamers that night. :scared1:

Happened exactly as you said.
We're standing there waiting for our table (another couple also, did not know them) these people come by and they are told there is nothing available and the screaming starts. I'm staying here and spending $5000. and you have to give us a table. Long story short, they were seated in about 2-3 minutes, the other couple and us were left standing there.
But the thing is Disney had to get the screamer seated and out of the way.

u
Goodferry--What you are suggesting as far as a more private deluxe resort would only benefit those who have $$$$$$ dollars to spend. And I'm thinking that most of the people who have that kind of money are already reaping the same benefits as your mythical resort would give them. Like the celebrities who get to line cut. I'm sure any celebrity who wanted a table at the Kona Kafe would get one, no matter how booked they are. They just don't post about it here.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this idea, if they have, forgive me. But maybe Disney could give people with reservations at each resort a 10 day head start on dining reservations? Say you are staying at the Poly. You could book either restaurant 190 days out, and the rest of your dining 180 days out. That would at least help those who like to plan in advance. And maybe if you do plan closer to your vacation when you book you could be told what times are availabe at your home restaruants, so you could book them then?

I don’t think giving resort guests a 10 day head start solves anything. Instead they should keep a number of ADRs open for same day reservations for resort guests.

I can't / won't make dining reservations 6 months out. I only book Disney Vacations 30-60 days out (and I consider that extremely far in advance, most trips I book 2 weeks out) -- even if I did book a trip that far out I am not that big of a planner to ultimately decide where I will be at what time every night. I make a general plan, but I usually end up deviating from it. I am not about to make a strict schedule for myself when I am on vacation. I have never had a problem eating where I wanted to by going to the resort concierge and asking them to make a reservation for me. Heck, I wouldn’t mind if they charged a premium for last minute ADRs, that way it doesn’t affect those who plan in advance but still allows last minute travelers some good choices. :idea:

That said, under no circumstances should the guest yell at or demand anything from the restaurant staff. Instead the man should have spoken to the resort front desk or concierge to see if they could get his family in. It's amazing what kindness will get you.

[quote by Allibri]
"Happened exactly as you said. We're standing there waiting for our table (another couple also, did not know them) these people come by and they are told there is nothing available and the screaming starts. I'm staying here and spending $5000. and you have to give us a table. Long story short, they were seated in about 2-3 minutes, the other couple and us were left standing there. But the thing is Disney had to get the screamer seated and out of the way."

WOW..you are a LOT niceer thank moi. Had I been in the line that "I" had made my reservation for waay in advance because "I" did my homework and this jerk :sad: was right in front of me..."I" would have demanded a manager come and explain to the rest of the line "why" were getting seated after the screaming idiot mr cranky pants person whom did not even had an ADR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have stayed at the Poly and would never think to act in this manner.

I have to deal with folks like this in the ER ALL the time...and I just somehow don't play nice with them anymore.....:stir:

Esmerelda

[quote by Allibri]
"Happened exactly as you said. We're standing there waiting for our table (another couple also, did not know them) these people come by and they are told there is nothing available and the screaming starts. I'm staying here and spending $5000. and you have to give us a table. Long story short, they were seated in about 2-3 minutes, the other couple and us were left standing there. But the thing is Disney had to get the screamer seated and out of the way."

WOW..you are a LOT niceer thank moi. Had I been in the line that "I" had made my reservation for waay in advance because "I" did my homework and this jerk :sad: was right in front of me..."I" would have demanded a manager come and explain to the rest of the line "why" were getting seated after the screaming idiot mr cranky pants person whom did not even had an ADR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have stayed at the Poly and would never think to act in this manner.

I have to deal with folks like this in the ER ALL the time...and I just somehow don't play nice with them anymore.....:stir:

Esmerelda

Esmerelda, that is a good idea! I like your response.;)

I think it's reasonable for someone to believe that they have purchased some entitlement by paying for a $400/night room

No, sorry. He's simply a no-class boor with no idea how to behave in a public place.

Even if you are staying at the Four Seasons (which is going to run more than the Poly in any city in the country), if you come downstairs and demand a table right now, if they are full up, they are full up. Too bad - you should have made a reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter