Warm enough to swim ????

chach

Mouseketeer
Hello,
We are going to Florida 2/21/03-3/6/03 and was wondering
if it is usually warm enough to swim. We are thinking of
spending a few days at either Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach.
thanks

we were there from 2/14 thru 2/21 this year. The weather really fluctuated. A couple days were very warm - 80-85, but it rained the last 2 days we were there.

It will be warm enough to swim and sun bath. You can swim year around because the pools are heated to about 80 degrees. Late Feb and early March is no problem around the pool. :Pinkbounc

What about the water temperature at the ocean and
waterparks ? Is it worth doing either one or is it too
cold when you get out of the water ?

Chach--In late Feb and early March it is like your summers up there in NH. The daytime temps will reach 80 degrees. For years I went in mid-Feb, the swimming was great. The water temp at the parks is the same as the pools-they heat them also. The main reason people go to Florida is to get out of places like NH and my state CT to go swimming etc. By the time March roles around you would have to be very unlucky to hit a day that you can not swim and sun bathe and be very comfortable.I can not tell you what the water temp will be in the ocean area of Daytona?? I don't go near beaches.

Ocean water temp in February will be
mid 50's to 60 degrees. Unless you
are a polar bear , stick with a heated pool.

At lot depends on what you're used to. Our group doesn't even talk about going in the pool till it hits 90 outside, but then again we're used to some pretty hot Oklahoma summers! I lived in Michigan when I was a teeager and it seemed perfectly normal to hit the water as soon as it got in the upper 70's. When we went to Disneyland last summer ( the end of July) the daytime temps were only in the upper 70's and we all thought we were going to freeze on the one trip we made to the pool! I guess that's considered really gorgeous weather, but that's fall to us!:D

It all depends on what you and your kids like. I won't go in the ocean-it's just too cold for me no matter how hot it is outside. But my son and husband will go in the ocean even if the temperature is in the 60's!! We are planning on going to Cocoa Beach in December and I know that as long as it's not storming, my son will want to play in the ocean. Pools are another matter all together. I think the weather in February is generally really nice and warm.

Hey Chach,

Helllo from another NHite! We went the last of Feb, beginning of March this year. It was gorgeous and swimmable the first two days we were there, then a cold snap came through, and it was jeans and sweatshirts for two days, then the rest of the week was beautiful, highs around 80. We went swimming every day except the two above cold days. The pools are heated, so the water is nice. The only caveat - we went to Typhoon Lagoon the day after the cold snap ended - only available time, and my kids were dying to go. The water in the wave pool and slide areas wasn't too bad, just a little chilly, but the water in the lazy river felt like Hampton Beach in June! BRRR! We were all going to go around first thing, as my middle DD was dying to try it, but she got in a tube started heading out, and we tried to get in but no way!! She did the whole loop and met us at the slides when she was done! The CR Hotel pool water was fine, and the slide was fun.

Just pack a little of everything, shorts, pants, Tshirts and a heavy sweatshirt - you never know!

Thanks for the info. It doesn't sound like many people
swim in the ocean in February so I guess we'll skip that.
Does anyone know if most off the pools (including
offsite hotels) are heated in February ?

It's now the middle of February.
I was wondering if anyone has ventured
into the ocean (what beach) over the
past 2 weeks ?

All I've ever heard is that they are heated- like all the time. So I would reckon that means the only time they AREN'T heated is when it's not needed because it's so warm that it's heated naturally already???

At lot depends on what you're used to. Our group doesn't even talk about going in the pool till it hits 90 outside, but then again we're used to some pretty hot Oklahoma summers! I lived in Michigan when I was a teeager and it seemed perfectly normal to hit the water as soon as it got in the upper 70's. When we went to Disneyland last summer ( the end of July) the daytime temps were only in the upper 70's and we all thought we were going to freeze on the one trip we made to the pool! I guess that's considered really gorgeous weather, but that's fall to us!
Same here. I thought some people (mostly kids though I must admit) were NUTS to be swimming on the cold days during my recent trip in Jan. Here I was freezing to death and they were swimming. I'm used to Texas weather...that was COLD COLD COLD for me (I'm talking 28 degrees one night when about 8 children were swimming in the pool) That is like polar bear cold to me. LOL

It's going to be much warmer when we go on our next trip, and THEN we'll do the water parks and swimming at the resort. LOL

Water temps off Daytona Beach right now are in the upper 60s and low 70s, so if that's what you're used to, by all means head for the beach! It's wise to consider that air temperatures at the beach might be significantly different from what you experience in Orlando, so don't make any assumptions without checking first.

Also note that water temps on the Gulf coast are cooler than on the Atlantic coast this time of year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter