• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wanna Join My "Offsite Support Group"?

We are staying offsite for the first time. After 20+ years of onsite hotels,we are ready for something different. DD is bringing her friend-both of them are 12. Last year,she also brought a friend and we had 2 rooms @ CSR. Loved the hotel and had a great time. We want more room,a kitchen,and laundry facilities. This year we'll have all of that and a private pool too. I'm anticipating a wonderful trip and many more offsite stays in the future,
I will say that @ Universal we will only consider onsite stays for FOTL. Our first weekend is always Universal-it gets us in shape for the mouse!

MiaSRN62 said:
I'm probably a little bit of an oddball here......BUT, I can totally understand the train of thought about offsite. First, let me say, I am both a DVC Member as well as the fact that I own Vistana offsite. We enjoy BOTH of our stays (on and off site) the same but differently. We stay often onsite and enjoy the bus transportation for it's convenience, though we admit, those packed busses going back to the resort at night are not quiet as magical. But many of our bus rides during the day have been terrific---we get CM drivers who crack jokes and get the whole bus singing disney songs or laughing. One time we had a bus driver who told us interesting, little known trivia about WDW and Walt.
We LOVE EMH----getting to the parks before the majority of guests arrive is a real perk. We've been able to walk on as many as 3-4 attractions in an hour before the park becomes packed, making Fast Pass very necessary. One time we really splurged on a Contemporary Tower Room and got a Magic Kingdom view----it really doesn't get any more magical than waking up, walking out on your balcony and seeing the Castle & hearing the WDW Railroad toot it's horn. But, this may not be for some..........

To add, we also love the room and amenities of staying offsite. For larger families, it's almost a no brainer. My kids have always loved our Vistana timeshare as well as the times we spend onsite. When they were little (and heck....just last year).....they went exploring around Vistana for turtles, frogs and we've even encountered a resident otter there. Got some great video of him early in the morning getting squirted off the fountain when the water got turned back on in the morning. Really do have to send that to America's Funniest Animal Videos one day.

But for the cost of offsite accomodations, getting a kitchen, 2 baths, 2 bedrooms,w/d, patio etc......can't be beat for the fraction of the cost of staying onsite. Honestly, we've been able to make many more trips to WDW because of our offsite timeshare and the money it saves us. So this is def a GOOD thing :thumbsup2

And I hate to say it, but sometimes it really is nice to get away from disney property and it's hectic pace. But I'm one of those people who like both onsite and off.....so maybe I can join your group at 50% membership ? ;) If you'll have me....... :teeth:

I feel the magic is where and how one makes it. pixiedust:
That can be on disney property or 30 min away. Everyone is different and different things work for different people.

We travel to Disney Worlk 2-3 times per year. We only stay onsite 1 time each year. We love WL. The other times we stay at Wyndham or Summer Bay. We love the space and the price and they are 5 star resorts! By the way, it only takes us 10 minutes at the most to get to the park.

I was starting to feel strange for staying offsite! ! :lmao: I have 4 children :crazy: and we would just not be able to make it to the World if we did not have the option of staying offsite. I booked our 7 nights, airfare and rental car for under half of the cost to stay onsite. If I had the money to splurge I may do that, but for now while traveling with the children, I have to opt for the offsite plan. I am joining the support group :thumbsup2

I've stayed onsite and offsite and there is Pros and cons to both. I really believe that it's often hard to get your money's worth at a Disney resort. Years ago I stayed at the Contemporary when I was a teenager and I don't think I used the pool once. I was to busy going into the them parks (back then there was only MK and Epcot). I've stayed many time offsite and had different experineces at offsite hotels (some good and some bad). The last time I went to disney (fall 2003) we stayed at the All Star Movies and really enjoyed it. We were there for one week. We had to use 2 rooms because we're a family of six. I find Disney in general is not very accomodating for larger families. Afterall renting 2 rooms for a week at disney even at the value resorts is expensive. Disney would be wise to build another value hotel which is all suites this way they could attract more large families because it would be more affordable to stay. I really like using the Disney transportation and I like the extra magic hour option which is why I prefer staying onsite. It's nice to not have to use the car while your at disney. I guess the other thing is that when you book offsite it's hit or miss wqith the hotels. One year we stayed at a Comfort Inn which was nice the other year we stayed at a Days Inn and it was a dump. Staying at disney you know the room will be clean and the service excellent (at least that's always been my experience). Actually on our trip later this year we will be staying for 3 nights offsite (most of this time we'll be visiting family nearby) and then 5 nights at FW Cabin. I'm still trying to decide where to stay offsite.

Disneymaniacs said:
We travel to Disney Worlk 2-3 times per year. We only stay onsite 1 time each year. We love WL. The other times we stay at Wyndham or Summer Bay. We love the space and the price and they are 5 star resorts! By the way, it only takes us 10 minutes at the most to get to the park.

We are going to stay at Summer Bay in February 2007. I'm nervous because on Trip Advisor there were so many negatives but on the RCI site it had a lot of good stuff. My mom and stepdad are RCI owners in New Hampshire and the 5 of us are staying at Summer Bay. Anything you can tell me is much appreciated!! After our 4 days there, my son, my SO and myself will be spending 2 nights at All-Stars Sports...for the boys, I could care less. LOL

Bella the Ball 360, parts of your story sound so similar to ours! :)

We started offsite and had marginal experiences. Once we'd experienced good times onsite, we thought, "Offsite never again!" We became part of the onsite :smickey: chorus, who discouraged others from "wasting their money" offsite and made them feel they were missing something. :guilty: (Shame on us.) :sad2:

Over the years, we tried Disney resorts in every category, value to deluxe. :tink: We bought into DVC. :ccat: Despite CM discounts (part-time at TDS), the price of these onsite vacations really added up. Along the way, we learned about timeshares through TUG (see my sig below) and started enjoying timeshare vacations elsewhere. We had such fun and it wasn't even WDW! :confused3

So to save $ at WDW, we started adding a couple of onsite nights to the end of offsite, 2BR timeshare weeks. We sold our DVC (no regrets!). Beautiful offsite timeshare resorts have given us the same quality at a lower cost! :woohoo: Now, only the Disney deluxe hotels hold ANY appeal for us at all and their high cost spoils that when we stay for more than a night (when the kids are not with us). With three older teenagers (and their friends) along with us on most trips, we're just not comfortable with spending that kind of money on Disney hotel rooms when there are so many, far better ways for us to spend it (food, braces, college, ministry, food, mortgage, vacation, bills, food, etc ;) ).

skdesign98 said:
I really believe that it's often hard to get your money's worth at a Disney resort... not very accomodating for larger families.
So true! Even DVC is tough on families with 3 kids or kids of both genders, requiring a 2BR at nearly triple the points of a studio room - very pricy, IMHO.
Disney would be wise to build another value hotel which is all suites this way they could attract more large families because it would be more affordable to stay.
Apparently, they are converting connecting rooms at one or more value hotels into suites... at double the pricing of a single hotel room. While it will offer a kitchenette and assurance of connecting rooms to sleep 6, it will NOT be more affordable. A nice rental timeshare resort or pool home can still be found for much less per night (even cheaper weekly rentals) and many offer a true full kitchen, inroom washer/dryer, much larger rooms, more upscale furnishings, inroom jacuzzi, poolside hot tubs, etc.

With an internet search on TUG (see my sig) or TripAdvisor, it's possible for most people to avoid the true fleabag dumps. We've had a couple of bugs in our room at FWC, OKW and BWV onsite and offsite - it's Florida! We've had generally terrific service and an occasional rude staff person or sloppy housekeeping, both onsite & offsite (actually better offsite).

Bottom line for us? We love to vacation as a family and with friends, including in Orlando. We have enjoyed the best vacations at the best prices in our offsite timeshares! So count me in! :goodvibes

:thumbsup2 Off-site hotels are great when you need to budget for 2 weeks or more and want to see more than WDW parks, lets face it the transport costs soon add up if you're on-site and want days out that are not Disney (I'll wash my mouth out later!!) :teeth: We stayed at the marriott Spring Hill Suites @ Little Lake Brian for a decent rate and lots of extra room and facilities back in '02. It was brill and the staff were fantastic and it's a good neighbour hotel no trouble with buses into the parks.We will be going back for our 3rd stay at the Comfort Inn LBV it's a fab area and lots of nearby shops etc which is great for food choices after days in the theme parks :teeth: :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 We have only used Disney hotels for short visits and even then it's been value resorts and off peak times to keep the costs down. For us it's a case of how long and how much we want to spend :cloud9:

I know I am a newbie at this whole offsite thing... so everyone may know about this already :) We found a great way to Disney from our Condo from 192 and I wanted to share in case anyone is staying off 192 any time soon! Take SeraLago road off 192 (Near Old Towne) to the end. Then, take a left onto the Oscala (sp?) parkway - then straight shot to Disney! The Oscala parkway is a toll road - but this way avoids all the tolls!!! Good luck! Way faster than hopping on route 4 or even going up 192 near Celebration because of all the construction!

Need to add my input, having done both. We've stayed at our 2 bedroom timeshare and the Polynesian. Given a choice, I would choose the Polynesian. Being onsite, for me, can't compare to being offsite. When we stayed offsite, we never went back to he resort for a break. It was too much hassle to get to the car and then drive there and back. After a tiring day at the park ,we would have to get to the car, drive, park and bring all our stuff to the room. The I would have to do laundry, clean up dishes etc. Of course I could have paid for the housekeeping but never did. It seemed like less of a vacation. I would do a grcoery shop when we arrived and I always ended up with a kitchen full of stuff. And the kid's toys and souvenirs were always all over the living roomand kitchen no matter how I tried to keep them organized.

Now at the Poly, I only bought cereal for breakfast and some snacks. We had a cooler for iced water. I loved my morning walk to get milk and coffee. Some mormings, we just ate breakfast there. In the afternoon, we would take an afternoon swim and then shower for the evening. I did laundry once while my DS did his schoolwork. It was nice to have fresh towels daily and a nice turned down bed at night. The kid's sovenirs were neatly on the day bed except when mousekeeping set them up on the bed.

Now I would stay at the timeshare again if finances say it's necessary. But I would plan a totally different trip than if we were staying onsite.No park hopping, for one thing. A different mindset is another. Oh and I was one who said that staying onsite can't be that great, who needs it, etc. Just one trip and I've gone to the onsite side!

Wow, I find it funny that you would feel bad from people telling you to stay on site! We were eating dinner in Epcot Mexico and started talking to another couple from IL on our May06 trip...they asked where we were staying, we said offsite, how about you? They said...well..we had to get a suite at the GFloridian since our kids won't go to bed in the same room, so 8 nights...times $800/night! We almost choked on our dinner... so they of course ask where are we at?

In a brand new townhome we rented offsite in Windsor Hills for the 2nd year in a row with plasma TVs everywhere, internet, 3 bedrooms, video games, our own pool, resort, pool, etc...and it's like $900 a week! At this point they get real quiet, we almost felt bad telling them, since the place we were in was probably nicer than their suite..ouch. We said for that price we could take 3 whole TRIPS to Disney for what they paid for their room (well almost! LOL..the park tickets sure add up!)...

Anyhow, I used to be a big fan of staying onsite, but once we stayed offsite in May 05 (my DW made me)...we would never go back! Good thing she convinced me, I was being all stubborn and thought it would be cooler to be onsite cause of transportation and all, but that's just simply not the case!! Now we're in the other camp...when we see people staying in the super expensive onsite resorts we think they must be rich people who can afford to just burn money away! LOL

Our condo is about 10 minutes to the furthest point in Disney... so getting in the car and driving vs. folding the strollers and trying to corral a 3 year old and and infant and get everyone on the bus and unfold on the other side..... unless my hubby and I stay alone (which I can totally see the merits of staying on site), we probably won't stay onsite again! Once you get into the groove of things, it is so much less stress and so enjoyable!!! Getting back to the condo and cooking a low key dinner - getting lots of rest......

I think it is great that this thread has been dusted off and given a second life! :thumbsup2

I'm now an official member of FayeW's Offsite Support Group! :teeth:

I'm in the group that sees both onsite and offsite as great experiences, and can happily enjoy either one. If I traveled with kids, I don't think I would want to spend several days in one room, so would have to vote for offsite. As it is just DH and myself, one room is adequate, but it's like sensory deprivation after spending most of our vacations in one or two bedroom condos wherever we go. I enjoy staying at our off-site timeshare. I like the planned activities, parties, multiple pools and amenities that you don't get onsite. I like off-site resturants, the tacky souvenir shops, dinner shows, and other attractions along International Drive and 192. I actually miss "the outside world" when I stay exclusively onsite for a week. I enjoy the entire Orlando area, not just Disney.

On the other hand, I am a sucker for theming, great architecture, beautifully landscaped grounds, and some of the touches that Disney does so well. If the off-site hotels had great themes and decor like some of the Disney properties, I think they could compete on a much higher level than they do now. The closest competition in that arena is the Universal hotels such as Royal Pacific, Hard Rock and Portofino Bay. Also, the convenience of staying onsite for a very Disney-intensive experience is fun now and then. It's sort of like being part of a club, or an inner circle when you stay onsite. It's a special treat. So, the best of all worlds for me is a week at a timeshare resort with a couple days before or after at a Disney resort.

I completely understand why staying somewhere that offers five times the space and amenities at half the price is "no contest" for many families. For most people, I don't think that being onsite has enough perks and conveniences to outweigh all the things you give up by cramming yourself into one room. We just spent two weeks of vacation last month (non-Disney)with my step-daughter, both weeks in two bedroom condos, and I really can't fathom what it would have been like with all of us in one room. As it was, both weeks we had two bedrooms, two baths one with whirlpool, a fireplace, three TVs, full kitchen, and a deck. The vacation experience was infinitely more enjoyable for all three of us with the added privacy and flexibility of a condo.

That said, DH and I are leaving in a week to spend a few days at the Wilderness Lodge. We're only doing one park while we're there. The whole point of the trip is to stay at the Lodge, because I love the look of the place, the atmosphere, and the theme. If we were going to parks every day I wouldn't want to stay there. I feel the deluxe resorts are too expensive to use as a "base camp." If I'm paying that kind of money I want to spend time there and enjoy what the resort has to offer. So, count me in the camp of "getting it" when it comes to staying off site, but I also understand those who enjoy the whole Disney atmosphere, too.

So, count me in the camp of "getting it" when it comes to staying off site, but I also understand those who enjoy the whole Disney atmosphere, too.
Same here.
Primarily onsite visitors but that will be soon changing in the near future. Everybody has different reasons for staying where they do whether it is onsite or off. pirate:

I've always wanted to stay at the Wilderness Lodge!!! Maybe I can talk my hubby into it sometime with a Resident rate :)

I'm taking 5 kids in January for 16 days. If money were no object, I'd stay at the FW cabins, because I love it there. But money IS an object, and for that many days, it just wasn't financially feasible for us. We are trying a villa for the first time in Windsor Palms, and really looking forward to it. (My kids are 8-17...we need the extra room!)

:dance3: I love reading everyone's opinions and must say Dis'ers are the funniest and wittiest group!
We stayed at WL on our last trip and enjoyed it. . .BUT. . .
The room was a long way from anything and I kept stubbing my toes on the platform bed in the room. You never really escape the masses of people. I'm not an introvert but I wanted to be alone for a minute or two without being in the bathroom. The fast breakfast place was jammed every morning and I hated not having a coffee pot.
We are staying in a pool home in March and I am looking forward to lots of Disney and lots of laid back hanging out!!!

Sylvia :stir: 3 DD's 5,3,& 2 :dance3:

Mizzoupoodle said:
:dance3: I'm not an introvert but I wanted to be alone for a minute or two without being in the bathroom.
Sylvia :stir: 3 DD's 5,3,& 2 :dance3:

This just really made me laugh!

I can't believe this thread has been revived! My trip seemed soooo far away when I started this, and now we leave in 3 1/2 weeks! :dancer: :banana:

I am looking forward to our first stay at Orbit One, but a little nervous since we've never stayed in Kissimee before, only Lake Buena Vista.

I'd like to try Windsor Palms sometime, but as long as I can get good deals on skyauction and travelzoo I'm going to take them!

You are so wonderful for daring WDW with all the kids!!!! I hope you have such a great time! Everyone told me I was crazy to do it with my three year old and my 4 month old.... but we really did have a great time! Despite all of the spitting up and the occasional 3-year-old tantrums :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter