Walt Disney World Date Based Ticket System FAQ • Read First Page

FP booking is based on check-in day at the resort.

I read the first few posts and several pages back and haven't seen if anyone has actually done this. I'm planning to buy tickets from a separate reseller, not Disney. We're not going to a park on our on-site arrival day. Purchasing the tickets starting on our first park day are $40 cheaper in total. Has anyone purchased tickets that way and been able to book FPs on their arrival day even though it's not a valid ticket day and they didn't have a package.

I just want to make sure. Thanks.

Purchasing the tickets starting on our first park day are $40 cheaper in total. Has anyone purchased tickets that way and been able to book FPs on their arrival day even though it's not a valid ticket day and they didn't have a package.
The booking window opens based on the resort stay.

Booking is only allowed for valid ticket days that fall within that open window.

Booking is only allowed for valid ticket days that fall within that open window.

Booking opens for non-resort staying guests 30 days prior to the start date of their ticket.

just to make sure I understand my FP booking window...
~arriving and staying on property on May 28 but not going to a park until 29 due to flight arrival time;
~8-day ticket price is same for our entire stay and days before, therefore no price advantage either way.

My booking window starts 60 days prior to check-in on May 28 even if our park ticket date starts on the 29th, correct?

Any advantage to starting the park pass date earlier?

just to make sure I understand my FP booking window...
~arriving and staying on property on May 28 but not going to a park until 29 due to flight arrival time;
~8-day ticket price is same for our entire stay and days before, therefore no price advantage either way.

My booking window starts 60 days prior to check-in on May 28 even if our park ticket date starts on the 29th, correct?

Any advantage to starting the park pass date earlier?
Yes, you can book FOs 60 days before arrival date

In other words, if I purchase tickets with a start date of, say, March 20, but our resort stay begins on March 19, my FP window opens 60 days out from March 20, not March 19, correct?

AMENDED to say I think I got that backwards.

Actually it would be 60 days out from March 19, right?

In other words, if I purchase tickets with a start date of, say, March 20, but our resort stay begins on March 19, my FP window opens 60 days out from March 20, not March 19, correct?

AMENDED to say I think I got that backwards.

Actually it would be 60 days out from March 19, right?
Correct - 60 days prior to check-in you can book for any valid ticketed days.

OK, I have my answer in my mind, but I want to throw my question out there to see if I'm right.

We are looking at a trip in October. We have a wild card person in our plans - he is planning to join us but due to the nature of his job, he won't know for certain until closer to the time. I won't purchase his ticket until closer to our 60 day FP window - BUT, if he ends up not able to join us, will his ticket expire 12/31/19? That is the only expiration date I've seen mentioned anywhere.

I usually buy tickets from UT and I see I can choose flexible dates for about $50 extra, which is OK, but I'm still concerned about expiration dating and the risk of losing the value completely.

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Nevermind - sorry for the premature post! After a bit more digging around on the UT site, here is what they currently say:

All current Disney Flexible Date Tickets: Base, Park Hopper Option, Park Hopper Plus Option tickets are valid for admission through 12/31/2019. If you are unable to use your ticket prior to 12/31/2019, the value of your unused ticket may be used as payment for a new ticket. However, if ticket prices rise, you will be required to pay the difference before entering the park.

Disney Theme Park Tickets now require a start date for admission and are valid beginning on that start date through a validity window. Please see ticket detail pages for more specific information. If you are unable to use your ticket before your validity window expires, the value of your unused ticket may be used as payment for a new ticket. However, if ticket prices rise, you will be required to pay the difference before entering the park.

So just to be clear ...if I purchase tickets now for my trip and something happens and I can’t go, I can still exchange those tickets for new ones even if it’s a year later?

So just to be clear ...if I purchase tickets now for my trip and something happens and I can’t go, I can still exchange those tickets for new ones even if it’s a year later?

This is what I’m hoping for because I bought tickets for an upcoming trip & one person won’t be using theirs.
As long as the ticket can be used at a later date, I’m happy.

Awesome! How do you go about paying the difference, if needed? Should you link the ticket to your My Disney Experience account?
TIA
When purchasing the tickets you should already link them to your account. They would be automatically on your account if you purchased directly from Disney online. If you have then an unused ticket you would probably be best off calling Disney to make sure that amount get applied to the next ticket purchase.

I just read through all 19 pages of this thread and haven't seen my question asked, so here goes. I have an AP that currently expires the end of this February. I don't have another trip planned until May, so I am going to let my AP expire. I would like to purchase a new AP in May because I have several later trips planned. BUT I have a free dining package for September. Is there any way that I can save the package ticket and use it when I renew the AP next May? Would adding the flex option allow me to do that? Thanks!

I just read through all 19 pages of this thread and haven't seen my question asked, so here goes. I have an AP that currently expires the end of this February. I don't have another trip planned until May, so I am going to let my AP expire. I would like to purchase a new AP in May because I have several later trips planned. BUT I have a free dining package for September. Is there any way that I can save the package ticket and use it when I renew the AP next May? Would adding the flex option allow me to do that? Thanks!
That’s a good question. I’m not sure if that will work because it is linked to the package. The flex option would definitely be needed if this does work. Your best bet is probably calling ahead of time and/or when you go down make sure at guest services that your park entry is still your AP and not the package ticket since you’ll have two on your account.

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'll ask at Guest Services when I go in May. If I can't hold on to the package ticket until next year, I'll just cancel the free dining since the AP is more valuable to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter