Walls go up at Epcot's Fountain View Cafe to make way for new Starbucks

Can somebody tell me an accurate time frame on the grand openings for these two additions?

I'm excited and hoping they are open before our next trip :thumbsup2

They aren't outsourcing the labor, its still disney cast members. And in the case of main street they're still going to sell the normal main street pastries, just with starbucks coffee.

I thought every press release indicated that Starbucks would be paying the cast members working there as Disney contractors, just like the situation is now with Photopass. They will be costumed and nametagged just like other CMs, but their paychecks won't come from Disney. I also believe that only some of the Main Street Cafe menu is staying, with the items being cut becoming available elsewhere.

Outsourcing coffee shops makes sense for Disney. Disney doesn't have to worry about the intricacies of the coffee shop business. Starbucks knows that business way better and can run it more efficiently. Disney still remains protected by service standards outlined in the outsourcing contract, but they now don't have to worry about training, maintaining inventory, or keeping up with coffee shop culture. Its a definite win both for Disney and for the guests in the long run.

Do you expect a full line of groceries with good service and competitive prices at your gas station? So why would you expect a media company to operate coffee shops to the standard that the general public has come to expect?

afnaechiquita said:
I wish someone would tell that to the girls who worked at the one I always went to in DC. Every morning, line of not-so-grumpy out the door, only to meet faces that looked like they were just being paid to sit there and pout at the front :sad2:

Well...within reason :)

We sorted this out six months ago when this was a "big deal"

Starbucks is supplying the labor...that's
The point

And they get a cut of profits, sell their bakery stuff and less overhead...

All smiles from "the company"

They aren't outsourcing the labor, its still disney cast members. And in the case of main street they're still going to sell the normal main street pastries, just with starbucks coffee.

Main Street Bakery will NOT be selling its "NORMAL" pastries with a Starbucks on the side.

I'm going to miss getting my ice cream there. They had great sundaes. Not a big fan of Starbucks coffee. I find there coffee too strong . and I could care less about there specialty drinks.So what will they be removing out of animal kingdom and Hollywood studios? I hope not Starring Rolls, they have the best cupcakes.

I for one, am thrilled that Starbucks is joining the fun. I am not a huge Starbucks fan but I drink it from time to time. My main problem with WDW is the lack of coffee available. DH and I are always struggling to find a good cup. I do agree Starbucks is not the best coffee around, But....it is much better then what can be found there now (exception of the kona press pot @ Poly but that is $$) I hope to enjoy a large pikes place iced coffee, cream no sugar in August!

Main Street Bakery will NOT be selling its "NORMAL" pastries with a Starbucks on the side.

Actually you very wrong, the last announcement a few months ago, Disney made a big point of saying that Starbucks would be selling the coffee and a few of their items.

However the Main St bakery items would still be the major pastries!

It seems when they announced Starbucks, Disney was beaten up by the folks who love the Main Street bakery! They changed their plans to only include Starbucks coffee and Main street pastries.

I don't know what will happen with Ice Cream!

AKK

Actually you very wrong, the last announcement a few months ago, Disney made a big point of saying that Starbucks would be selling the coffee and a few of their items.

It seems when they announced Starbucks, Disney was beaten up by the folks who love the Main Street bakery! They changed their plans to only include Starbucks coffee and Main street pastries.

AKK

Fountainview used to sell coffee and wonderful cakes, before it turned into an ice cream venue. I wish they would go back to that. I spent an hour many afternoons waiting there, while my daughter played the games that were in the Communicore building.

Awwwww.... makes me kinda sad as we always loved to grab a scoop or a sundae and watch the foutains from the seating area!

Won't seem the same sippin' a Frappuccino :(

Well it couldn't have been "always" because it used to be Fountaiview Espresso and Bakery before it was an Edy's ice cream place.

Why wasn't anyone bothered by it being Edy's ice cream and not Disneys own brand? :rolleyes2

AKK

i think you are overestimating disney's desire to give a crap about negative feedback...especially one random fast food joint amongst hundreds of them on the property...

i think there plan was to take the coffee operation out of their hands and partner up with somebody they could trust...this will spread to the resorts quickly (first at the deludes) and then quickly follow suit in the other locations and restaurants...

i don't think they "changed their plans" to accomodate anything. there was silly internet buzz here and all the other sites about "eliminating the bakery"...but disney never made any comments to that effect as far as i could tell. they just simply said that starbucks would be moving in as it has in Disneyland...no discussion of sub par cupcakes, muffins, and those fair to bad cinnamon buns was out there from the horses mouth - at least as i remember it.

perhaps i am mistaken...wouldn't be the first but i'll try to make it the last

We sorted this out six months ago when this was a "big deal"

Starbucks is supplying the labor...that's
The point

And they get a cut of profits, sell their bakery stuff and less overhead...

All smiles from "the company"

Considering my friend is working in the bakery when it reopens and he wasn't hired by starbucks, Im pretty sure Disney is still in charge of the labor

Considering my friend is working in the bakery when it reopens and he wasn't hired by starbucks, Im pretty sure Disney is still in charge of the labor

did your friend say when exactly it is slated to re-open???

i'm gonna suspend my standard policy of "never trust an employee" on this one...

if what you say is the fact and disney is restaffing the location with their own employees...well that's just stupid (not that its not what they are doing)...reducing manpower is and will continue to be one of the highest ranked goals in orlando...they don't want to pay who they have - let alone more and future development depends on it.

But even if they do have their own people going in...that doesn't mean starbucks isn't staffing the spot as well. very few storefronts are not mixed use at this point. its entirely possible that there is some giftshop type element in play that will require some disney staff...or maybe not. don't know.

we'll see. in the end...the only result of this is gonna probably be better (if more expensive) coffee. Remember that Disney's target audience moving forward is the Gen X, Gen Y and soon to be Gen Z crowd...and they want their fraps and starbucks type establishments. Consider that...Disney has.

Those that want "good, cheap coffee" are going the way of the Dodo...

overated...perhaps.

Also in that category are the Disney baked goods, a significant number of Disney employees, Disney's menu choices, the locations we're "losing", and the variety that Disney has offered for years.

So what are we really debating? Nothing may be gained...but nothing is really being lost either. At a minimum it's a push.

The nescrafe coffee being currently served is so bad it isn't even "rated"
~Touché. It's funny because I came across a story about this quaint, elegant Parisian village that staunchly opposes the idea of Starbucks in their community. This little Parisian neighborhood is simply unwilling to embrace that bright green mermaid sign in what is otherwise considered to be such a beautiful & romantic place.

~Anyway, it's kind of funny because this reaction sort of echoes the same sentiment expressed about Disney's Main Street Bakery, lol. I guess that's part of the backlash when a company over saturates the market. It's just an observation, as I'm indifferent -- just wanted to share. As expected, their cries were all for naught, just like at Disney -- Starbucks wins!!! :thumbsup2

~VIDEO - Starbucks Upsets Locals With Plans To Open In Historic Area Of Paris~

30mttoi.jpg

Starbucks is set to open an outlet in a historic site in Paris as part of its expansion plans in Europe, but the location of its newest store has upset some local residents. Famous for its cobbled streets, Bohemian atmosphere and artistic residents, locals have lobbied hard to stop Starbucks opening on the Place du Tertre in Montmartre. The store is due to open next month, bringing a very American kind of coffee, to a very Parisian neighborhood. The local sentiment is clear, "no to capitalism". In Paris, it is not just the locals who are lamenting Starbucks' arrival. American blogger Mary Kay Bosshart says the U.S. coffee chain does not fit with the romantic image that visitors have of the area. "Starbucks in Paris, in the other places in Paris, I'm fine with that. But Place du Tertre has a special meaning for me. I first came here when I was probably 18 and it was the soul and heart of Paris. So to think of having a Starbucks here, it's a shame. I wish that everybody could come here and have the same vision that I did of Paris," said Bosshart. This is not the first time a Starbucks location has sparked controversy. In 2007, a store in Beijing's historic Forbidden City was forced to close down following public protest that the U.S. chain was at odds with the traditional culture of the former imperial residential compound. However, despite the strong opposition in Paris, Starbucks' plan to open there is moving ahead.

what's next at Disney Parks?
Dollar Trees or Cash For Gold stores

Ridiculous

They would have to be ten dollar trees.

People have been complaining for years about the quality of coffee available at wdw. What are the choices? Start their (Disneys)own coffee plantation, hire their own roasters and create their own brand of coffee? And hope it is good? If they chose some other name of artisan coffee would everyone be complaining? It's not like this is the first brand they have incorporated into the parks--- Where were all the complaints when they brought in Mc donalds? Luckily they are gone, or we could be getting a mcfrappe.

i think you are overestimating disney's desire to give a crap about negative feedback...especially one random fast food joint amongst hundreds of them on the property...

i think there plan was to take the coffee operation out of their hands and partner up with somebody they could trust...this will spread to the resorts quickly (first at the deludes) and then quickly follow suit in the other locations and restaurants...

i don't think they "changed their plans" to accomodate anything. there was silly internet buzz here and all the other sites about "eliminating the bakery"...but disney never made any comments to that effect as far as i could tell. they just simply said that starbucks would be moving in as it has in Disneyland...no discussion of sub par cupcakes, muffins, and those fair to bad cinnamon buns was out there from the horses mouth - at least as i remember it.

perhaps i am mistaken...wouldn't be the first but i'll try to make it the last

You may indeed be right..........what ever the cause.........the Main Street Bakery has a loyal following who love the pastries!. I hope they keep them!

AKK

AKK

You can tell me that after it actually opens.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter