Walking A Reservation

OK. That's what had me confused: how it would work effectively at 7 months.
So now I have another question, as someone who has been an owner for only 9 years:
I have never had trouble booking my home resort OKW at 11 months out. I usually book for early December, which as we all know is a popular time for DVC owners.
Am I correct in assuming that the walking is done during very busy seasons, such as Christmas?
Walking is also used to book those hard to get reservations. Like if you own at AKV and want either the Value Villa or a Concierge Villa, lots of people will walk those reservations all year long. GFV studios can also be hard to book, so those might also be walked year round. Same goes for Standard view at BLT. BWV has a very limited number of Grand Villas, so they might be walked.

Exactly. You walk a reservation at 11+ months out, not seven plus months out.
Walking is also used to book those hard to get reservations. Like if you own at AKV and want either the Value Villa or a Concierge Villa, lots of people will walk those reservations all year long. GFV studios can also be hard to book, so those might also be walked year round. Same goes for Standard view at BLT. BWV has a very limited number of Grand Villas, so they might be walked.
Ok, that makes so much more sense! I only just heard about the walking strategy and was wondering-how do you even grab that first day if everything goes away so quickly! I guess you would need to check reservations constantly, and immediately jump when something was available at an 11 month mark then walk it til you get to those dates. (FYI-I'm not a DVC member...yet... just was stalking these boards because I was preparing to rent points)

I’m not sure if I’m understanding how to walk a reservation yet. I appreciate your explanations. Let’s say for example, I want to stay from 10/13 to 10/20 So when do I start walking a reservation?

And keep in mind that the majority of room reservations do not ever require walking. And it never means getting shut out of a resort, it just might mean not getting the particular View or specific size Villa that you planned for.

I have a question. Wouldn’t it be a disadvantage to “walk” a reservation, especially at seven months, if to modify the reservation you have to call member services and lose that precious time when others can be booking online earlier that morning? I.e. member services opens at nine and you can book online earlier than that. So, when you have to call to modify - would that put you at a disadvantage?

I have a question. Wouldn’t it be a disadvantage to “walk” a reservation, especially at seven months, if to modify the reservation you have to call member services and lose that precious time when others can be booking online earlier that morning? I.e. member services opens at nine and you can book online earlier than that. So, when you have to call to modify - would that put you at a disadvantage?
When it used to be that you had to call in to add days, there was a greater risk of losing out to another 7-monther. This is as true today with the online modification tool as it was when you would have to call in. The thing is all it takes is for home-resort members to book a day ahead of you to kill your walk. This is why 7-month walking is not as effective as an 11-month walk.

At 11-months, if you're walking, even when you had to call in, it would be impossible for anyone to get in front of you.

When it used to be that you had to call in to add days, there was a greater risk of losing out to another 7-monther. This is as true today with the online modification tool as it was when you would have to call in. The thing is all it takes is for home-resort members to book a day ahead of you to kill your walk. This is why 7-month walking is not as effective as an 11-month walk.

At 11-months, if you're walking, even when you had to call in, it would be impossible for anyone to get in front of you.

That is a good point. Thank you. However, I still wonder about the online vs member services phone call aspect.

No because you already have that day locked in. So if you had booked the 1st-7th, on the 2nd you call in, you already have the 2nd-7th within your current booking....drop the 1st, add the 8th. At any point of a 7 month walk you could get blocked by an owner at that resort though.

No because you already have that day locked in. So if you had booked the 1st-7th, on the 2nd you call in, you already have the 2nd-7th within your current booking....drop the 1st, add the 8th. At any point of a 7 month walk you could get blocked by an owner at that resort though.

Eureka! I think I finally “get it.” Thank you!

Yes, that's exactly why. As people "walk past" the current date to when they want to stay, days open up behind them.

Say I want to book Nov 3rd. If I grab 7 nights on Oct 15 and walk them forward, nobody can beat me out of the room.

On Nov 15th (11.5 months out), I grab 7 nights Oct 15-22nd. Now, nobody can step in front of me until the 22nd because I have at least that one room occupied. And if nobody can get that room during the time I hold it, then nobody can use that room as part of their 7 night reservation.

On 10/22, I can call and cancel the six nights behind, and add 6 more ahead until the 29th. And then on 11/3, substract and add until I have my 7 nights starting 11/3.

From the moment I held the room on 10/15, I prevented anyone else from stepping in front of me until my reservation was walked into place.

You have to have that first day to book multiple days and that first day is tied off from my earlier booking.

In practical terms, if I wanted 11/3 and tried to start walking on 10/15, then I have multiple chances to grab a room at 8 am.

If not avail 10/15, I have about 17 more mornings/chances to secure and walk to my 11/3 reservation. If I'm successful on any of those days, then I can hold that room until I walk it into place.

So.... How does this work if you have to "borrow" points for this "walking"? I thought the CM says "once you borrow it is a final transaction and cannot be changed, etc, etc".... I am curious because I want to book a 2BR (2 of them) and a studio at BWV in December 2019. Just wondering how THAT would work as I will have to borrow points for the next year to make the reservation. I am looking at booking in January, 2019...

Thanks!
DeerH

So.... How does this work if you have to "borrow" points for this "walking"? I thought the CM says "once you borrow it is a final transaction and cannot be changed, etc, etc".... I am curious because I want to book a 2BR (2 of them) and a studio at BWV in December 2019. Just wondering how THAT would work as I will have to borrow points for the next year to make the reservation. I am looking at booking in January, 2019...

Thanks!
DeerH
Borrowing IS a one-way transaction. You can avoid borrowing by shortening your reservation by a night or two and just "walking" more frequently until you have secured your dates.

Thanks!
DeerH
Not sure what the online reservation system does but I have borrowed more points then I ended up actually needing (due to change in plans, not walking) and the CM was able to modify my reservation so my borrowed points were used and some of my current year points were not.
Then I was able to bank what I didn't need.

Walking at 7 months is a definite benefit. Yes, there is a risk of an owner breaking the walk, but in reality at 7 months you're mostly competing with other non-owners. A short walk for in-demand reservations WILL improve your chances.

Last edited:
So.... What is my realistic chances of getting 2BR at BWV (2 of them) and 1 studio for December 7-12 2019? I have never in 19 years of owning every
"walked" a reservation. Questions- Do you all think that I will need to? Can I call/online my reservation on Jan 7, 2019 and be able to get those reservations?

So.... What is my realistic chances of getting 2BR at BWV (2 of them) and 1 studio for December 7-12 2019? I have never in 19 years of owning every
"walked" a reservation. Questions- Do you all think that I will need to? Can I call/online my reservation on Jan 7, 2019 and be able to get those reservations?
Honestly, any moderately hard to book room is not going to be easy to book for the start of Star Wars Land. And probably rooms that aren’t normally difficult to get as well.

I think people are going to be very surprised just how many categories of rooms disappear at the start of 11 month window for early December.

It’s not going to be a normal booking year. I’m fairly confident that it’s going to be out of hand.

Honestly, any moderately hard to book room is not going to be easy to book for the start of Star Wars Land. And probably rooms that aren’t normally difficult to get as well.

I think people are going to be very surprised just how many categories of rooms disappear at the start of 11 month window for early December.

It’s not going to be a normal booking year. I’m fairly confident that it’s going to be out of hand.

I don't think it will be THAT bad! There will be rooms available. But, not to be able to get any room at your resort at EXACTLY at 11 month window.....
NAH... Don't think so... Just my .02 cents worth..IF that was true, then a LOT of people will be selling their DVC and quickly....

I don't think it will be THAT bad! There will be rooms available. But, not to be able to get any room at your resort at EXACTLY at 11 month window.....
NAH... Don't think so... Just my .02 cents worth..IF that was true, then a LOT of people will be selling their DVC and quickly....
I didn’t say all the rooms would be taken. I said many more categories than people normally expect will move much quicker because of the nature of Star Wars Land opening.

Studios especially.

Not all. But more than people are used to seeing move at the 11 month window.

Star Wars is going to be bedlam.

Last edited:
I think your challenge will be that all BWV 2BR villas are lockoffs. You're dealing with an already popular week that will be aggravated by the opening of SW:GE right around that time. Studios will be in high demand, which means 2BR villas will also be in short supply. JMO, but I expect that there will be an increase in the number of walkers at BWV for those reasons.

I think that you stand a good chance of getting all 3 villas if you opt for the Pool/Garden View villas. There are more of them and they are the least popular category. Although, TBH, if it were me trying to get 3 villas at a such a popular time, I would be walking. It's obvious that you want them for a big trip and you don't want to disappoint people.

Unless you want standard of Boardwalk view, I think you chances are good. I am assuming you own BWV and will book at 11 months.

Unless you want standard of Boardwalk view, I think you chances are good. I am assuming you own BWV and will book at 11 months.

Well, I would certainly like to get standard studio and (2) 2BR and Boardwalk for that time. Yes- I own at BWV and have 410 points available from banking and borrowing. That is all I have available with 110 points available in 2019, 2020 the rest of the points. So... Looking at the point charts, I would NOT be able to get 5 nights with the BW/pool view. I could only do 4 nights. I REALLY need standard at BWV for 14 people. IS there another way to get 14 people in at BWV for December of 2019? ALSO, how does "walking" work IF you have to borrow points? Thought that was a "final transaction" and you can't call and change everyday if borrowing? So... Guess I am asking, how WOULD YOU DO THIS?

HELP!!!!!!!!

Well, I would certainly like to get standard studio and (2) 2BR and Boardwalk for that time. Yes- I own at BWV and have 410 points available from banking and borrowing. That is all I have available with 110 points available in 2019, 2020 the rest of the points. So... Looking at the point charts, I would NOT be able to get 5 nights with the BW/pool view. I could only do 4 nights. I REALLY need standard at BWV for 14 people. IS there another way to get 14 people in at BWV for December of 2019? ALSO, how does "walking" work IF you have to borrow points? Thought that was a "final transaction" and you can't call and change everyday if borrowing? So... Guess I am asking, how WOULD YOU DO THIS?

HELP!!!!!!!!
Borrowing is just final in that they are now moved to that UY, not that it is the only reservation that can be done with those points. I'd guess you would have to walk to get all of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter