Waitlisting and points question

Electron_si

Mouseketeer
Question for those more experienced DVC members on waitlisting and points.

We have a trip booked in SEP with a 3 resort split stay. We currently have BCV night 1 AKV night 2 and SSR for the remainder. This trip used all but 4 of our available 2022 points (DEC UY).

I’d like to get poly (home resort) or AKL 1 bedroom Villa on the last night with SSR in the middle. I want to waitlist one or two rooms for the last night but my understanding is I need to have the points available to wait list.

Do I need to borrow from 2023 to have points to cover the waitlist and then if it comes through bank the 2022 points from the original reservation?

Also I don’t know how getting a waitlist would affect our SSR reservation as we would then need to move it one day left.

Thanks for any help or insight.

If you need to borrow it doesn’t happen unless the waitlist comes through.

But, if you want to waitlist only one night and leave the rest of the SSR nights, you’d want to call MS to set it up so they know not to cancel other nights.

We are currently booked in all 1 bedroom villas for the duration, so either of the waitlist option would be the same points or less for PVB if we get it.

I guess my understanding was I had to had those room points in addition to our current reservation if that makes sense.

I’ve never waitlisted so does MS contact you to finalize it before it’s done? Would I have a chance to change my SSR with them if we pick up the waitlist?

We are currently booked in all 1 bedroom villas for the duration, so either of the waitlist option would be the same points or less for PVB if we get it.

I guess my understanding was I had to had those room points in addition to our current reservation if that makes sense.

I’ve never waitlisted so does MS contact you to finalize it before it’s done? Would I have a chance to change my SSR with them if we pick up the waitlist?

They don't contact you unless they are confused about what to do. If you just want it to replace what you have, then set it up that way and you will get notification if it fills...be aware that you sometimes get an email that says you have been canceled before the one that shows the new rooms.

If you waitlist two resorts and both fill at the exact same time, there is a chance they will call you, but that is rare...typically, they fill the first one that matched and cancel out the second.

I have had a lot of success with waitlists, with the best places (most likely success) being at AKV, OKW and SSR. Of the 2 DVC AKV divisions, which you would have to waitlist separately, KIDANI is much more likely to come through than Jambo House. This far out, I think you are very likely to get Kidani. You are also more likely to have a 1 bedroom come through than a studio or 2 bedroom. AND, you are more likely to have success with a Savannah View, simply because they cost more points so are not quite as much in demand, even though that is all that I will book there, if I have a choice. Anyway, you are STILL very likely to also get a STANDARD view at Kidani. Just slightly less likely.

When you make the request, I would set it up so that it will REPLACE the AKV reservation in the middle. That will make that go away and move the points into the new reservation. You will also need to specify that you are willing to borrow, and specify which contract, if necessary to meet the right points. The points will only be borrowed if they are necessary.

As soon as it comes through, go move your SSR Reservation, or contact Member Services as quickly as you can (or even in advance) because they DO go through and cancel 'duplicate' reservations at times. But, again, I think it is likely you will either be able to get the new SSR date, or else get it by waitlisting it in the same manner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter