Waiting List to Buy Direct from Disney

DizzyKnee

Earning My Ears
I am currently in negotiations on a 240 point contract RESALE for BLT. September Use Year.

I'd like to buy the minimum amount of points directly from Disney. I imagine the waitlist is longer at some resorts over others.

What's the minimum amount of points I can purchase directly from Disney?

Should I waitlist for BLT and have the same September use year?

I live in Texas and California so the VGC is an option as I could justify spending two nights at Disneyland.

Any advice from seasoned DVC experts that have the combo of resale and direct contracts would be much appreciated.

Minimum is 25 cash, 50 financed. You must buy 100 to get a blue card membership.

Disney basically does not sell VGC direct, so if you want VGC the resale market is where you need to look at. They don't have an open waitlist. They rarely exercise ROFR.

Minimum is 25 cash, 50 financed. You must buy 100 to get a blue card membership.

Disney basically does not sell VGC direct, so if you want VGC the resale market is where you need to look at. They don't have an open waitlist. They rarely exercise ROFR.
Except DRR and CCV where the minimum is 50 points (at least officially, and I haven't heard much willingness to break the 50 point rule at these resorts). Some people that were buying DRR at large points couldn't break contracts smaller than 50 points no matter the push back.

I am assuming you are going for the Blue Card or why purchase direct.

We were told for years there was no WL to purchase any of the older DVC venue. In June we were on a cruise and the rep told us to let our guide know of our interest. A few days after returning home we emailed and received a notification of available points the next day.

Last edited:

What is a Blue Card Membership? Is it what entitles you to all the Disney Direct perks? Speaking of which, what are the perks?

What is a Blue Card Membership? Is it what entitles you to all the Disney Direct perks? Speaking of which, what are the perks?

100 points is the level that gets perks.

Question: Why are you looking at direct if you don't know what the perks are? The main reason to buy direct is because you feel the direct perks have measurable value to you.

I didn't know it was known as a Blue Card. I've read a lot about why buy resale unless you want the "perks". What I should have asked is what perks are actually perks? Disney is brilliant at branding even the worthless. So, are there particular perks that make buying direct worth it? For instance, do I gain access to special areas of any resort if I hold a blue card?

I didn't know it was known as a Blue Card. I've read a lot about why buy resale unless you want the "perks". What I should have asked is what perks are actually perks? Disney is brilliant at branding even the worthless. So, are there particular perks that make buying direct worth it? For instance, do I gain access to special areas of any resort if I hold a blue card?
So some of the larger monetary perks (where a direct value can be assigned) are the following, IMO:

1) Moonlight Magic Events, essentially akin to an after hours party so about $100 a person - This is hard to plan for because DVC doesn't announce them usually until well within 11 months thus it's luck of the draw if they happen while your vacation is planned.
2) Dining and Shopping Discounts - This is usually about 10% for Dinning and 20% for Shopping. This is reproducable with an AP
3) AP Discounts - This is the largest "perk" IMO. Depending on the number (if any) APs you would buy a year you could save a lot. So DVC Direct Members (qualifying for a Blue Card) can buy a Gold AP (which is about 45% off the Platinum Pass which is the cheapest AP a non-member or non-Florida resident can buy). So if you have a larger family that qualifies (lives with you) to buy the AP and it is something you would be doing then this perk is the one that can be the most worth it.

One thing to note is Membership Extras can and do change. Thus any of the above could be gone by the time you get around to using them they could be no longer.

The only exclusive space to Blue Card Members is the Epcot lounge. The lounge at TOTWL (BLT) is open to all DVC Members staying at the WDW (Cash or Points), except a few nights a year.

Thanks crvetter...So, if I were to buy 4 AP's, the discount would be how much? With 240 points right now, I'd be reserving 6 nights a year in a 2 bdrm BLT (home resort) one year and then the next a 2 bedroom VGC for 5 nights. Keep alternating year after year. So really we would only get a 5 day pass for each adult each year so I can't imagine a need for an annual pass UNLESS I am able to Stay at BLT say in 2020 and VGC in 2021 yet stay within 11 months or so.

But an AP only works at WDW or DL but not both...So, the AP discount wouldn't really equate to any savings.

But an AP only works at WDW or DL but not both...So, the AP discount wouldn't really equate to any savings.
This is correct. Also for DL the only real benefit out there (monetary) is a Moonlight Magic (one time a year) and dining and shopping discounts. The AP discount on DL APs is $20 so no real value.

And that's if they'd even sell you VGC. They file only a handful of deeds each month for VGC and a lot of them are re-titles.

Thanks crvetter...So, if I were to buy 4 AP's, the discount would be how much? With 240 points right now, I'd be reserving 6 nights a year in a 2 bdrm BLT (home resort) one year and then the next a 2 bedroom VGC for 5 nights. Keep alternating year after year. So really we would only get a 5 day pass for each adult each year so I can't imagine a need for an annual pass UNLESS I am able to Stay at BLT say in 2020 and VGC in 2021 yet stay within 11 months or so.

While I don't have any personal experience, my understanding is that VGC is a hard resort to find rooms at 7 months. So if you have 240 BLT points, I'd say be flexible with your alternating plans...

The AP discount is the main thing that can bring any meaningful value to a direct purchase and then it's the Gold AP that offers the biggest discount for DVC members. Since you'd be looking at 5 parks days at WDW per year that becomes a non-factor in the direct purchase "value" analysis.

I believe the other benefit of buying direct since Jan '19 is the ability to use those points to book at RR and all future planned resorts. Your BLT resale can only be used at the current 14 resorts.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful information. The only other question I have is about the new Riviera. There is some new restriction about being able to use your home resort points (for example OKW) and at 7 months, use your home resort points to stay at Riviera. Am I right that this would not be possible for those that have bought resale?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!