VOLCANO BAY.....INFO AND QUESTION THREAD........

This is definitely true. DO NOT believe the ads on UO's website that say "Add Volcano Bay for just $55" on every page. You pay the gate price difference when upgrading to Volcano Bay, whether ahead of time (choosing a 3 park over a 2 park pass) or upgrading at the gate. Sometimes it's $55, but it can be as much as $75, depending on the length of the pass - the longer you stay, the greater the upgrade charge. It's NOT a flat $55, despite what it says on the website. I've complained to everyone at UO until I'm blue in the face, but nobody is inclined to do anything about it.

I think the posters are referring to annual passes, not regular park tickets.

What’s the usual cut off temperature for VB to close?

Around a high of 65 degrees or less is usually the cut-off.

I enjoy the extreme slides, especially Kala and Tai Nui. I know that Ko'okiri gets a long line but do the other two drop door slides need to be ridden early, too?

For Kala & Tai Nui, I don't think you need to do those first thing in the morning. Unless you're talking about the peak season (mid-June through August).

This is definitely true. DO NOT believe the ads on UO's website that say "Add Volcano Bay for just $55" on every page. You pay the gate price difference when upgrading to Volcano Bay, whether ahead of time (choosing a 3 park over a 2 park pass) or upgrading at the gate. Sometimes it's $55, but it can be as much as $75, depending on the length of the pass - the longer you stay, the greater the upgrade charge. It's NOT a flat $55, despite what it says on the website. I've complained to everyone at UO until I'm blue in the face, but nobody is inclined to do anything about it.

We’re going to Universal for the first time in a couple weeks (Feb 13th). I’m planning on getting the buy 2 get 2 days free from UT. My daughter (10) really wants to visit VB during our trip, and I can take her one of the days we’re there when her father is in meetings.

I was debating doing 2 park tickets for us, and if the weather is nice upgrading to 3 park tickets for her and i.

I could also just buy the 3-park tickets from the getgo. The price difference from 2 to 3 park tickets from the website I am buying them is $40 each. If I buy 2 park tickets, will I pay $40 to upgrade them on site, or will I pay $70? I called Universal directly and asked, and they said it is $50 to upgrade, or $70 in the park. If that is the case I guess I should wait until the week we’re leaving and check the weather before buying...then buy 3 park if weather is good? Is there a risk waiting to buy the tickets? I’m used to Disney, so it is odd to me I haven’t bought our tickets yet.

We’re going to Universal for the first time in a couple weeks (Feb 13th). I’m planning on getting the buy 2 get 2 days free from UT. My daughter (10) really wants to visit VB during our trip, and I can take her one of the days we’re there when her father is in meetings.

I was debating doing 2 park tickets for us, and if the weather is nice upgrading to 3 park tickets for her and i.

I could also just buy the 3-park tickets from the getgo. The price difference from 2 to 3 park tickets from the website I am buying them is $40 each. If I buy 2 park tickets, will I pay $40 to upgrade them on site, or will I pay $70? I called Universal directly and asked, and they said it is $50 to upgrade, or $70 in the park. If that is the case I guess I should wait until the week we’re leaving and check the weather before buying...then buy 3 park if weather is good? Is there a risk waiting to buy the tickets? I’m used to Disney, so it is odd to me I haven’t bought our tickets yet.

The onll thing I can say for sure is that you'll pay the difference between the gate price of the ticket you have and the gate price of the tickets you want. Unfortunately, the prices listed on the official UO site aren't the gate prices, and they don't include tax.

This is the only site I've found that lists gate prices with tax: https://www.mousesavers.com/universal-orlando-discounts-and-deals/#regtixprices

The onll thing I can say for sure is that you'll pay the difference between the gate price of the ticket you have and the gate price of the tickets you want. Unfortunately, the prices listed on the official UO site aren't the gate prices, and they don't include tax.

This is the only site I've found that lists gate prices with tax: https://www.mousesavers.com/universal-orlando-discounts-and-deals/#regtixprices
Okay, so according to that we’d be going from $317 to $373 or so, so $56. So it would be over $100 to add a couple hours of VBay. Goodie.

Thanks for the link and info!

Crowds have been low today. I saw "Ride Now" on every ride today. Curious if things will pick up a little bit more later on this week, as the high will be in the 80s.

Ha ha, was there today. We had the early admission so blitzed all the good rides in the first couple of hours. Crowds were quiet until around lunchtime when it got a bit busier but most rides were all still ‘ride now’.

Around a high of 65 degrees or less is usually the cut-off.

For Kala & Tai Nui, I don't think you need to do those first thing in the morning. Unless you're talking about the peak season (mid-June through August).
We were there Monday and the high was around 68 I believe. It was open with only about 30 people in the whole park. lol Earlier in our trip it was closed when the high was 60-62ish degrees.

One of my friends and I (both adults) are planning a trip to Universal Orlando. She is planning on doing some of the thrill rides that are not for me (She's not going to force me to do a ride I don't want to, and I'm not going to make her skip a ride she wants to go on, so all is well). While she's doing some of the more intense thrill rides, I figured I'd hang out in one of the pools. I'm not really a strong swimmer so I wanted to know if the depth at the pools were well marked. Can I tell just by looking somewhere on or around the pool what the depth is? Am I better off wearing a life-jacket in the pools? Thanks to anyone who can help.

One of my friends and I (both adults) are planning a trip to Universal Orlando. She is planning on doing some of the thrill rides that are not for me (She's not going to force me to do a ride I don't want to, and I'm not going to make her skip a ride she wants to go on, so all is well). While she's doing some of the more intense thrill rides, I figured I'd hang out in one of the pools. I'm not really a strong swimmer so I wanted to know if the depth at the pools were well marked. Can I tell just by looking somewhere on or around the pool what the depth is? Am I better off wearing a life-jacket in the pools? Thanks to anyone who can help.
The wave pool is really shallow. There is also another pool of to the right of the wave pool that starts off shallow but does get deep the further you go. The lazy river is another good option. There is a third pool by the ohno slides that was fun and interactive.

I would avoid the faster river, or not-so-lazy river. Even though you wear a life jacket, there are spots where I was overcome with water due to the speed and waves. I didn’t drown, but I definitely got water on my face and up my nose.

I have seen mention of free cabanas/umbrella areas but can’t seem to find details. Are these actual cabanas or large umbrellas or shaded areas or what? Could we snag one at EE opening?

We are going in mid-May on weekdays, so hoping it won’t be too busy. We are not looking for any amenities like a server or towels, just a place to sit with some shade options, as my sister will have her baby for part of the time.

Premium Seating- is there any option for 3 people? Or would you have to rent 2 seating areas?

I have seen mention of free cabanas/umbrella areas but can’t seem to find details. Are these actual cabanas or large umbrellas or shaded areas or what? Could we snag one at EE opening?

We are going in mid-May on weekdays, so hoping it won’t be too busy. We are not looking for any amenities like a server or towels, just a place to sit with some shade options, as my sister will have her baby for part of the time.

Not sure about free cabanas. Maybe they are referring to the large wooden shade structures that were built after the park opened. I can't remember how many of these I have seen. Not a ton. I definitely know of one. They are pretty tall, so they may not completely block the sun all day in all of the seats. There are also umbrellas all over and some areas may have some building or tree shade at different parts of the day. You most likely get an umbrella during EE, and maybe one of the shade structures, but not positive on those.

Premium Seating- is there any option for 3 people? Or would you have to rent 2 seating areas?

Are all 3 people going to be using the seats most of the day? We rented 1 pair for my son, husband, and I. I didn't tell them over the phone that there were 3 of us, because they would probably would have insisted we rent 2 pairs, when I knew that DH and DS would not be in them all day. We pulled up a chair for DS to use when he was eating. They only sell pairs and say that they are only for 2 people. Now, this was the first year. When DS and I went in October, they had the premium seating area roped off with employees sort of manning the entrance. We were given wrist bands. They weren't very strict about checking them, but that could easily depend. So, since it was just DS and I then, I don't know how this would work with 3 now. I honestly wouldn't get the premium seating again, after getting it twice the first summer. The only batch I saw was in front of the wave pool, near the boat bar. The shade structure didn't block the sun most of the day. They were facing mostly south and the shade only covers half of each lounger. The first summer we had ones that were facing northwest, and the volcano blocked the afternoon/evening sun.

Not sure about free cabanas. Maybe they are referring to the large wooden shade structures that were built after the park opened. I can't remember how many of these I have seen. Not a ton. I definitely know of one. They are pretty tall, so they may not completely block the sun all day in all of the seats. There are also umbrellas all over and some areas may have some building or tree shade at different parts of the day. You most likely get an umbrella during EE, and maybe one of the shade structures, but not positive on those.

Thanks. Still trying to figure out where those cabana/shade structures are, if anyone knows. If not, we will just plan to head straight for a bunch of chairs under umbrellas in the morning.

Thanks. Still trying to figure out where those cabana/shade structures are, if anyone knows. If not, we will just plan to head straight for a bunch of chairs under umbrellas in the morning.

I know there are more, but the only one that I recall is to the left of the volcano between the area with Puka Uli Lagoon and the Ohno & Ohya slides and Bambu restaurant. It's in a sandy area near the Fearless River. Here's a link to the map. There's a concierge hut next to the area. The structure doesn't cover the entire sandy area and isn't on the map. I am sure there are others, but I can't remember where they are. This area wasn't open during Early Entry in October. I guess they thought it wouldn't be crowded enough to open it. The first summer, everything was open during Early Entry. So, I don't know how to know what will and will not be open during EE. You couldn't even get back there, because an employee was blocking the area.

https://www.universalorlando.com/webdata/k2/en/us/files/Documents/uvb-park-map.pdf

I know there are more, but the only one that I recall is to the left of the volcano between the area with Puka Uli Lagoon and the Ohno & Ohya slides and Bambu restaurant. It's in a sandy area near the Fearless River. Here's a link to the map. There's a concierge hut next to the area. The structure doesn't cover the entire sandy area and isn't on the map. I am sure there are others, but I can't remember where they are. This area wasn't open during Early Entry in October. I guess they thought it wouldn't be crowded enough to open it. The first summer, everything was open during Early Entry. So, I don't know how to know what will and will not be open during EE. You couldn't even get back there, because an employee was blocking the area.

https://www.universalorlando.com/webdata/k2/en/us/files/Documents/uvb-park-map.pdf

@soniam is correct, this is one area that has the new-ish shade structure. There is also another one at Hammerhead Beach, near the main entrance of TeAwa Fearless River. There are two separate shade structures over there, I believe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts