visually impaired traveling to wdw with asd child

cmbpanda

Mouseketeer
Hi, I'm looking for some advice about where to stay in orlando. We are a visually impaired family (2 adults, 2 kids) which means car hire isn't an option. We also have a 12 year old with aspergers, who doesn't easily share a bed with anyone else. Does anyone have any advice about accomodation in or near wdw resort, near to shops, restaurants etc. with easy bus access to wdw and universal. Ideally we need somewhere where the kids can have seperate beds otherwise we will all be having meltdowns by the end of day 2!

I'm driving myself mad trying to find somewhere that doesn't just offer 2 double beds! but is also close to everything.

Any help and ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I would look into a suite that sleeps 5, the villas, or the Fort Wilderness area. There are lots of accomidations that would work for you. I would call a WDW travel agent and discuss your needs.

I believe that Mears offers a transportation option from TTC to Universal. I'm sure you'll find info about this over on the Transporation board if you're interested. If you stay at a WDW resort then you won't need a car to get around WDW or even to get to and from the airport.

As for the needing 3 bed issues, I'm in the exact same boat because of my 14yo Aspie. What it comes down to for us is that we need one of the following:
(a) 2 value or moderate rooms
(b) a deluxe room that has bunks or a day bed
(c) a suite like AoA or Family Suites
(d) Cabin at Fort Wilderness
(e) a 2 bedroom villa at any DVC resort
(f) a 1 bedroom villa at OKW, BLT or AKV where they have a fold out single sleeper with an occupancy of 5.
These are what I've come up with as our options if we want to stay onsite.

Both Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge have rooms with a queen-size bed and a set of bunk beds. Getting one of these would resolve you problem as well as give you full access to Disney Transportation and other Resort benefits.

I believe that Mears offers a transportation option from TTC to Universal. I'm sure you'll find info about this over on the Transporation board if you're interested. If you stay at a WDW resort then you won't need a car to get around WDW or even to get to and from the airport.

Mears will send a van directly to your resort to take you from WDW to Universal. I use them just about every trip. It costs $19.00 round trip and you need to call them the day before to set up a pick up time. The number is 407-423-5566. You can either pay the driver that picks you up or you can stop off at the Mears desk when you arrive at MCO (right before you get to DME) and buy a voucher. Call them back about an hour before you want to come back to WDW to arrange a pick up time. The van may or may not stop at another resort or two, depending on how many people are at each pick up. We've never had a problem getting to Universal before park opening though. I'm not sure if kids are cheaper or not, but I think they are. Adults are $19.00 round trip though.

This is all really helpful, thanks. We have narrowed it down to 3 AK, FWL or the Contempoary Resort. My Son is very keen on the Contempoary Resort because of the mono rail and it looks quite nice with the day beds etc. Has anyone stayed there and have any views about whether this might be a good option?

Also thanks for the tips about transport to Universal. I will look into that.

Time to start saving!!:):)

I think the FW Cabins might be a good option. It not only gives the kids separate beds, but it also give them a separate room from you if you wanted. You guys can sleep in the living room area on the murphy bed and the kids can have the beds in the bedroom. If not, there are bunk beds and a full sized bed in the bedroom for all of you (and still giving your DS his own bed). You would have a full kitchen too. It would give you 2 TV's, over all much more room to relax after a fun but possibly stress filled day at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter