• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vistana Resort

shamrock30

DIS Veteran
DH and I stayed for six nights in a two bedroom for $109 per night. We joined Diamond Lane a week ahead of time, and when we called to ask a question, they indicated that our requests would not be a problem. (Lakes or Cascades, top floor, non-smoking.) I knew the non-smoking request would most likely not be met, but was rather surprised at check-in to find they had no intention of honoring ANY of our requests. Instead, they tried to put us in Palms.

When I again asked for Lakes or Cascades, the woman checked her computer and told us she had nothing in Lakes but could put us in Cascades. However, that suddenly changed after she made a phone call to another employee. We were then told that Fountains was the best they could do.

I don't know if it we were in phase one or two. Much of the furniture in the unit looked new. The kitchen floor was badly chipped, but the rug was in good shape. The bed was old and lumpy and the boxspring was horribly stained. (Not even sure how a stain like that that could happen.) I was creeped out because the mattress pad was too small and left a foot on either side with only the sheet covering it. The sheets and towels were stained, which was odd because they were white and should have been bleached clean. Some of the stains on the towels could actually be felt, so I don't think much of their laundry efforts. The sheets appeared to have been washed along with a wad of kleenex.

We had a nice screened in porch with a water view. We were in a quiet area, and the walls seemed to be pretty thick because we never heard the people next door. The location to the parks was good. We had a smoking unit, but there was no smell of smoke.

One more thing: at check-in, we had to visit the timeshare guy in order to get our parking pass. He tried extremely hard to get us to attend the presentation, no matter how many times we told him we weren't interested. I thought it was to the point of rudeness since we weren't even there on a timeshare rate. Finally, he handed us our parking pass. He put our guest number, which could also be used for charge privileges, on our parking pass in magic marker. I believe you also had to show an envelope with the number written on it in order to charge, but still, it didn't seem like a good idea. We went and complained about this the next day, and the man at the desk seemed shocked that the timeshare man had done that.

I know many people have enjoyed their stay at the Vistana Resort, but Diamond Lane was worthless to us, and cleanliness wasn't up to par in our unit. The location was good, but I wouldn't stay there again.

I don't know if it we were in phase one or two. Much of the furniture in the unit looked new. The kitchen floor was badly chipped, but the rug was in good shape. The bed was old and lumpy and the boxspring was horribly stained. (Not even sure how a stain like that that could happen.) I was creeped out because the mattress pad was too small and left a foot on either side with only the sheet covering it. The sheets and towels were stained, which was odd because they were white and should have been bleached clean. Some of the stains on the towels could actually be felt, so I don't think much of their laundry efforts.
Sorry you didn't have a nice stay. I own in the Fountains and have never, in over 12 years of stays, experienced anything like what you mentioned above. I hope you complained or filled out a guest survey if there was one. May I ask what unit # you were placed in ? You could have called Housekeeping for a replacement of all towels. They would have brought them up. Also goes for the bed pad----you can ask for anything in your room to be replaced at no charge. As for the bed being old and lumpy----it was my understanding from the owner's information sent out to us, that the mattresses had all been replaced recently. Yet another thing I hope you reported.
One more thing: at check-in, we had to visit the timeshare guy in order to get our parking pass. He tried extremely hard to get us to attend the presentation, no matter how many times we told him we weren't interested. I thought it was to the point of rudeness since we weren't even there on a timeshare rate.
This would have aggrivated me as well especially since you were not on a timeshare rate. May I ask where you got the rate you did ? As for the Diamond Lane---it is only for requests. Nothing is guarenteed unfortunately. You didn't mention what week you stayed but maybe it was a busy time for owners ?

Again, sorry you had a bad experience. This is the exception vs the rule at Vistana. Believe me, if I experienced what you did in the past decade I would not keep going back to Vistana. We have never had anything less than a spotless unit in all our visits.

Thanks for your kind words. We booked through a link at Allears.net. They were running a special where you got a free upgrade from a one bedroom to a two bedroom unit. The link took us to the Starwood website, where we actually made the reservation.

I did write to Starwood after our stay, and their response said that would forward my email to the Vistana. It has been over three weeks, and I never heard anything else. We are long time Starwood members, and I was disappointed that the management at the Vistana never bothered to address any of our concerns.

We were there December 3-9. I don't recall the unit number, but DH might. I'll ask him. We were in a third floor unit, and there didn't seem to a lot of people staying in our building.

Hi again Shamrock,
If you do hear back from them I hope you can post their reply. They really do need to address these issues. You were most likely in Fountains II if the jacuzzi tub was inside the master bedroom. If the tub was inside the master bathroom, then you were in the Fountains section. If your husband recalls the unit #, I'd be interested in what room it was.
You should not have been harrassed into the timeshare spiel and I'll admit this really annoys me with Vistana. I have no intentions of ever buying more time with them yet they pester me every year. I'm putting my foot down this year when we go back.
Here's hoping your next vacation is a better one.

Thank you! My husband isn't sure of the unit, so I don't want to say something that might be incorrect. It was definitely Fountains, since the jacuzzi was in the bathroom. We had a "water view" from our screened-in balcony, if that helps. If the mattress was new, the quality sure wasn't good. However, there's absolutely no doubt that the boxspring was ancient to be that stained. Housekeeping had left the bottom sheet untucked, so I got a rude surprise when I went to tuck it in.

I'll post if they ever respond, but that's looking pretty doubtful at this point.

This was a few years ago, but we went to a presentation, and did not buy, but bought a week for the following year. It was a long story, but they just about ruined my credit rating with their book keeping, and we ended up in quite a mess. It took them forever to straigten things out. I went as high up that I could to get things done. Never again.

It was a long story, but they just about ruined my credit rating with their book keeping, and we ended up in quite a mess. It took them forever to straigten things out.
Sorry to hear this Connie. I've never had a problem with their book keeping & have been an owner since '94. In fact, they don't even show up at all on our credit rating.
shamrock30 says : It was definitely Fountains, since the jacuzzi was in the bathroom. We had a "water view" from our screened-in balcony, if that helps.
I'd have to know the villa number to know if it was definitely the Fountains area. The majority of views at Vistana are "water" which is nice. I do hope you hear back from them.

Hello,

We stayed at Vistana last month, using the allearsnet rate. Since it was paid for by my wife's company, we had nothing to complain about. We stayed in room 656, but I'm not sure what section it was. The 2br was very large, and the furniture and bed/mattress all seemed relatively new. The place was very conveninent to WDW, the first night it took me 8 minutes from the time I entered the car in the Epcot lot, to the time I parked in front of our room.

The good:
Room size, comfortable bed ( and we do alot of travelling, and have experienced many an uncomfortable one), the large bathroom w/jacuzzi tub, convenience to WDW, very quiet at night ( although it did not seem to be very crowded when we stayed there), awesome view of the space shuttle launch from in front of our unit, and housekeeping.

The bad:
The check-in process was extremely slow, with an employee who must have been on her first day on the job. She had to ask for help with every step of the check-in, and had no idea where our room was or how to get there. The 2 part check-in, where we were sent to the other desk to get our "welcome package" and parking pass, which was really the chance for the timeshare guy to try to set us up for an appointment. No matter how many times we told him that my wife was down on business, and did not have a morning to spare, he kept pushing us to set aside a few hours. It was quite annoying to have him tell my wife that she should be able to set aside a few hours to attend the breakfast presentation. It almost got to the point where I was about to give him an earful, but he finally gave up. He also called our room every morning around 8:30am to try to schedule the appointment, but I just stopped answeriing. The check out is not like WDW express, we actually had to call them and have them fax us the bill/receipt after we were back home. We were not down on a deal that required a timeshare presentation, and I really don't appreciate being pushed to attend one. If the place is so good, they shouldn't have to force it on people.

All in all, we would definitely stay there again if we had a similar rate, did enjoy the room.

Take care,

Bill

Head in June. Have been a few times since my inlaws own. I think the resort is OK. It is convenient to the parks and the pools are nice enough. I really want to have the timeshare guy try to sell me. I am prepared to give him an earful. the product is worthless. You paid $763 a week for something that my inlaws have to pay $800+ in maintenance and taxes and a $165 exchange fee. Their asset has become a liability. It actually costs them more to take the prepaid trip than the market value. When they die, we will abandon the property and never transfer ownership just to get out from under it. I may try to sell on ebay or $1 dollar just so they can stop dumping money down the drain each year. Stay away and do not buy!!

:) ;) :goodvibes hi this is first time since 2003 that i have been on boards, so might have logged on to wrong one, so if any one can advise what to do if this wrong, i'm trying to find out if anyone has booked there holiday to summerbay resorts, if so can you let me know and i will explain more.
thanx everso xx

the product is worthless. You paid $763 a week for something that my inlaws have to pay $800+ in maintenance and taxes and a $165 exchange fee. Their asset has become a liability. It actually costs them more to take the prepaid trip than the market value. When they die, we will abandon the property and never transfer ownership just to get out from under it. I may try to sell on ebay or $1 dollar just so they can stop dumping money down the drain each year. Stay away and do not buy!!
Agreed Robsmom.....it does anger me that I pay more as an owner, than most people I read about on the internet. I will never buy more time with Vistana. The last time we went to a sales pitch we got so frustrated and left and went over to Disney and became DVC Members. DVC, despite being a bit pricey, at least holds it's value and renters rarely can stay for less than what Members would have paid over the life of the ownership. I feel Vistana has devalued itself. We still like the resort and enjoy our stays there, but have entertained the idea of selling to escape the high maintenance because we know we can stay there cheaper as renters. There is just no incentive to being an owner there from what I can see, because the maintenance fees keep going up, yet the prices they offer the general public to rent keep going down. If I were to rent our week out, I'm not even sure I could cover our maintenance fees. :sad1:

Agreed Robsmom.....it does anger me that I pay more as an owner, than most people I read about on the internet. I will never buy more time with Vistana.

There is just no incentive to being an owner there from what I can see, because the maintenance fees keep going up, yet the prices they offer the general public to rent keep going down. If I were to rent our week out, I'm not even sure I could cover our maintenance fees. :sad1:

If you rent out your Vistana week in Florida, I doubt you will make back your fees. HOWEVER, if you are a member of SVN (Starwood Vacation Network) you can rent out units at other resorts in the network! For example, I am renting out FOUR villas at the Atlantis this May!!! I will make a minimum of $4000 in profit after I pay my maintenance fees for the year! We have been to the Atlantis 4 years in a row as well. If we paid to stay there, we would have paid for all three weeks we own with Starwood over and over again.

If anyone is interested in buying VISTANA, I'd buy RESALE and buy VISTANA VILLAGES in the Bella or Key West Phases. This gets you grandfathered into the Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) where you can travel to awesome resorts such as the Atlantis, Westin St. John, Westin Kanapali in Hawaii among a bunch of other great resorts. They are currently adding more in St. John, more in Hawaii (Maui and Kauai (spelling?)), Aruba, Cancun and somewhere else in Mexico that escapes me at this point. And you DON'T have to pay an exchange fee to do this!!!!

Anyone have questions about this, feel free to PM me! :goodvibes

if you are a member of SVN (Starwood Vacation Network) you can rent out units at other resorts in the network! For example, I am renting out FOUR villas at the Atlantis this May!!! I will make a minimum of $4000 in profit after I pay my maintenance fees for the year! We have been to the Atlantis 4 years in a row as well. If we paid to stay there, we would have paid for all three weeks we own with Starwood over and over again.

True....but I've been a Vistana owner way before Starwood/Sheraton took over. I've owned since '94. Only owners of the Lakes and Cascades are automatically in the SVN. Owners prior to, say 1999/2000, were not included in the SVN yet we have high maintenance fees and essentially worthless timeshares as far as resale goes. I did buy resale thankfully. When I was in the market to buy the Lakes were the newest and going for $15-$18K. We turned it down and purchased the Beach Club on Hutchinson Island (sight unseen on Vistana property), which trades free of charge into the Fountains I/II resale for $8K.
I own a prime floating week. My maintenance fees are close to $1K and I doubt I could rent for that amount, but who knows. I'd probably be lucky to get maybe $4K if I went to sell.

For older/original Vistana owners, we are given the option to purchase into the SVN, but it's for a price and our weeks don't translate into very many points at all. Besides, once our week is converted into star points, it doesn't equate to all that much. So we choose not to convert. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done the conversion and what they think about it.

True....but I've been a Vistana owner way before Starwood/Sheraton took over. I've owned since '94. Only owners of the Lakes and Cascades are automatically in the SVN. Owners prior to, say 1999/2000, were not included in the SVN yet we have high maintenance fees and essentially worthless timeshares as far as resale goes. I did buy resale thankfully. When I was in the market to buy the Lakes were the newest and going for $15-$18K. We turned it down and purchased the Beach Club on Hutchinson Island (sight unseen on Vistana property), which trades free of charge into the Fountains I/II resale for $8K.
I own a prime floating week. My maintenance fees are close to $1K and I doubt I could rent for that amount, but who knows. I'd probably be lucky to get maybe $4K if I went to sell.

For older/original Vistana owners, we are given the option to purchase into the SVN, but it's for a price and our weeks don't translate into very many points at all. Besides, once our week is converted into star points, it doesn't equate to all that much. So we choose not to convert. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done the conversion and what they think about it.

I've been a Vistana owner prior to Starwood purchasing it...it was just VISTANA RESORT back then. But I did buy Lakes and Cascades. So when Starwood took over, I was grandfathered into the SVN. I bought in April of 1997 for about $12K. I got the Cascades week even cheaper, if you can believe that! (little under $10K) My fees for each week are about $700, plus SVN fee.

For me, it is so worth it to be a part of SVN. You get to go to premier destinations for a fraction of the cost. It I were only going to go to Orlando every year, I wouldn't buy Vistana...I'd just rent! It's much cheaper! But when I can get 4 villas at the Atlantis for my annual maintenance feels (about $2200), and still have 4 nights left for my Orlando vacation in August, that's a STEAL!!!! Every time we go to Atlantis we get multiple villas for friends, family and to rent. Each 1 bedroom would rent for about $4500 if you went directly to Atlantis!

BTW, I would never convert my week to StarPOINTS at all. Not worth it in my opinion. StarOPTIONS is what you want. Find out if you can do that, and how many options you could get. You'll be pleasantly surprised what you could get in SVN...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter