Vista vs. Patterson vs. Chatham

bungalow247

WDWCP Fall '10 Attractions!
Hey everyone! I'm George, and I'm heading down to check in for Fall 10 on 8-9-10, and I had a question about the apartments. Obviously, which is best? And does anyone know of any sites or anything with pics and videos of them all? Thanks!

I have seen video tours on Youtube. Just search and I think you can find something. Patterson is supposedly the nicest because it is newest. But it is also slightly more expensive. Vista is the oldest, but it is cheaper.

I'm heading down 8-9-10 too! See you there! I'm probably going to look into Patterson.

I've seen various videos on youtube as well, and I personally would love to live in Vista Way... everyone seems to have good things to say about it! :-) Plus, for the oldest housing it's not too shabby! Either Vista or Chatham for me I think...

I have seen video tours on Youtube. Just search and I think you can find something. Patterson is supposedly the nicest because it is newest. But it is also slightly more expensive. Vista is the oldest, but it is cheaper.

I'm heading down 8-9-10 too! See you there! I'm probably going to look into Patterson.

Chatham is the one with the bus stop in front of it, right? Or am I mistaken?

Chatham is the one with the bus stop in front of it, right? Or am I mistaken?

Vista has a bus stop directly in front of it, and Chatham has one... I believe it's near the entrance? And I think The Commons has one a hop skip and a jump from the entrance. Correct me if I'm wrong, I could have completely flubbed all of those names and locations. XD

Vista has a bus stop directly in front of it, and Chatham has one... I believe it's near the entrance? And I think The Commons has one a hop skip and a jump from the entrance. Correct me if I'm wrong, I could have completely flubbed all of those names and locations. XD

I'm not sure about the commons. I lived in Chatham and they have one right at the entrance. It's just across the street from patterson... from the patterson entrance though it's about a 5-ish minute walk?

Vista has a bus stop, too right by the main entrance.

... and yes, check out youtube. There are also discussions on here loaded with peoples vlogs and blogs and such that will give you a lot of information. Just spend some time on here really reading the boards and search "disney college program" or "vista way, chatham square, patterson court" on youtube.

So I wasn't too far off! Yeah, Patterson and Chatham share one... and I'm pretty sure The Commons has one too. At least that's what I read on a blog or something. Anyway there's always some way to catch the bus to work, no worries!

alright cool :)

By the way, do all the apartments have balconies?

alright cool :)

By the way, do all the apartments have balconies?

None of the apartments in Vista have balconies, I know that some of the ones in Chatham have them but I am not sure if they ALL do. And all of the apartments in Patterson do have balconies. I live in Patterson and the balcony is really nice because when people need to have a conversation on the phone they just go out there and everybody doesn't have to be bothered by listening to someone else's conversation

Ah good to know! I'd love a room with a balcony... I've been watching apt tours on YouTube and every time they show the balcony I can just feeeeeeel the Florida air :) So exciting.

The Commons is mainly for international students. Patterson doesn't have a bus stop, but in my opinion it seems like living towards the beginning of Patterson and at the end of Chatham might be the same distance to the bus stop. I don't know for sure- I haven't driven through Chatham, but it seems like it goes back fairly far.

Patterson's SUPER nice! It's really nice because it's new and clean without you even having to try! Even with my messy, lazy roommates it still doesn't look half bad! There were odds and ends wrong with our apartment when we showed up, but other than that it's been great!

If you're worried about the price, in my opinion paying a few dollars more for Patterson is completely worth it if it means having a nicer place to live. The other apartments are probably good too- I'm just saying that I don't think it's so much of a difference that you should say "Oh, that's too expensive". In fact, I think a 3 bedroom at Patterson was only a dollar or so more than a 3 bedroom at Chatham.

Aww, I can't believe I'm giving advice on this, it seems like yesterday I was researching like crazy about housing! Then it was funny because at check-in my friend, who didn't know anything about housing, was the one who was sent to get our housing assignment! But it all worked out fantastically!

I've heard some of the Chatham rooms are bigger. Most not by much, but some a little bigger. If you're anything like me and my 5 other roommates, though, you'll hardly be at the apartment at the same time. It's not like we're all fighting over the kitchen in the morning. We're hardly here together- only at night. Even then we're coming back at all different times.

I wish we had bigger freezers though, even though I know that's not really possible. We're college kids who don't cook. We don't need a huge fridge, we need more room for our TV dinners and microwavable pastas! Haha!

Just thought I'd share some of my experience :D

P.S.: I believe some of the stops the bus makes at The Commons are on request only, but you'll get more information about that when you arrive!

How would someone request to live in a specific apartment? like Vista or Chatham? How does housing know where you want to live? I don't want to get down there and be put in Patterson, as it is a little expensive for my budget.

How would someone request to live in a specific apartment? like Vista or Chatham? How does housing know where you want to live? I don't want to get down there and be put in Patterson, as it is a little expensive for my budget.

As another poster wrote, living at patterson is only a dollar or two more than chatham, it's really not that big of a difference. But to answer your question, you can request where you want to live when you check in. There were about 25 of us that "met" on facebook- guys and girls, over and under 21, and the only request we had was that we all lived in Chatham so we didn't have the 1 am curfew thing to deal with and we all got it. It was nice because they made us all roomies in every way possible... meaning: girls over 21... girls under, guys over and guys under... so we really only had 4 total apartments to go between and they were really flexible with us.

We also had the first arrival date for the advantage season and got there an hour before they let us in to check in, so i'm not sure if that had something to do w/ how flexible they were or not.

As far as the balcony question... every apartment I was ever in in Chatham had a balcony or deck. I'm not sure if every single one is that way or not though. I was in a 1 bedroom... a few different 3 bedrooms, a couple 4 bedrooms... i was never inside a 2 bedroom though.

okay so to whoever said we have a curfeww?? what do you mean curfew? WE have a curfew?? lol what? im so confused.

From what I have heard there is a 1am curfew. That means that anyone not living in that complex(or is it that room) has to vacate said property(or room) by 1am at the latest. You can come in after that, that will probably happen for work, and you can leave after that but if you don't live there, you can't be there.

I did the international college program last summer (best summer ever) and I have a personal bias towards vista because it is so awesome. I know a lot of people i worked with who lived in patterson and chatam would try to go to vista all the time because theres a lot more going on and people are always outside hanging out together! The bussing situation is also easier at vista because the busses are like inside the neighbourhood.. so less you have to run if you are about to miss your bus.. or if its raining... which it seemed to be a lot down there haha. Finally, the question about curfew... your curfew only applies to each complex.. like someone who lives in vista can come and go to vista and any room in vista at any time of day.. but if they live in chatam they have to be out of vista by 1.. but then they can go back to chatam at any time of night :)

in the end its like the same thing they tell you at uni housing when your a freshmen.. its all about who you live with and not the building.. any building will be great if you can make lots of friends :)

this is some awesome feedback! like i said, i'm going down august 9th and i just wanted to know as much about it as possible. How close are all the apartments to the parks and outside things (like stores and food) too? Like is any one closer than all the others, or are they all in the same general area?

Quick response to the curfew question: Yes, 1 AM is the time where no outside visitor, even just from another complex, is allowed to check-in with you. You can go in and out of your own complex any time you want, no questions asked. You don't have a curfew and aren't forbidden from going out after 1 by any means! That would be absurd. Technically, visitors should also be out of your apartment by 1 AM... they don't come check your rooms, but sometimes around 1:30 or 2, they may have security checking the cars exiting property to make sure.

I started out living in Vista. I was in a 3-bedroom, top floor, so we had those pretty windows. Hard-wood floors as well. There was nothing "crappy" about it to me, and the only noise complaint I had would be people outside my room playing basketball at about 3 AM sometimes. There are always parties going on, but I was never bothered by hearing them or anything. A lot more of a social complex in general, I'd say, really easy to meet people and everything's close. You have the Learning Center where you can go rent movies, which is fun, and every building has washers and dryers, so you don't have to walk a long way with your laundry, which is good. Older-looking kitchen, a bit smaller bedrooms, pretty thin walls. Bus stop on site, 2 pools. Walking distance to Walgreens, Wendys, Chick Fil A and the convenient store was amazing.

Then I moved to Chatham, just for another experience. I absolutely loved it. The exteriors are so cute and quaint. I was in a 4 bedroom, and it was huge. Our bedroom was bigger than in Vista, and the living space was ridiculously big. We were on the first floor and had a tiny porch. Some of the apartments are REALLY gorgeous with balconies overlooking Little Lake Bryan, if you're lucky! Quieter than Vista, but not a dull place to live by any means. Buildings seem to be spaced further apart than Vista, which is so close. The pool is gorgeous and looks like an island oasis to me. haha. Bus stop on site.

Patterson. Never lived in this one, but had friends there. Honestly, I didn't see much difference between here and Chatham, besides the fact that Chatham is bigger, and I think there's something like each bedroom in Patterson has a TV cable hookup, whereas the others don't? My least favorite part about Patterson is just the carpet. I don't know what the name of it is, but it's that hard, thin kind. Chatham and Vista are fluffier. Just didn't seem as spacious, and definitely the quietest of the complexes. No bus stop, so you have to walk to Chatham's and use it, which I think would be an inconvenience.

Like people have said, The Commons is for International College Program participants. Depending on the bus you take to go to work, the bus may not always make a stop there unless a request is made. Epcot always stops there, Magic Kingdom only by request, and so on. All I can say is that when I got off work at MK at 4 AM, I was praying there were no ICPs on the bus so I could get home fast.

Moreso than the complex affects price range, I'd say the number of bedrooms does. The more bedrooms you have, the cheaper it will be. Vista 3 bedroom was incredibly cheap. But a Chatham 4 bedroom is not much more. It's up to you and your comfortability with a lot of people, potentially all of which may not speak English... ie: my situation when I moved to Chatham.

Chatham, Patterson, and The Commons are located on Little Lake Bryan and not really in walking distance of much, except the Outlet retail stores (Commons is closest). Like I said, Vista is the best for that purpose. However, a lot of good restaurants and stuff are located CLOSER to the Little Lake Bryan area around Vineland Ave. if you have a car. I'd go for one of the tri-houses if you have a car, Vista if you don't and don't feel comfortable always bumming a ride!

okay so to whoever said we have a curfeww?? what do you mean curfew? WE have a curfew?? lol what? im so confused.

YOU yourself don't have a curfew. You can come in and leave your own apartment complex whenever you want as long as you have your housing ID. However, the curfew means... if you live at chatham and if you are visiting someone at Vista or Patterson you would have to be out of there by 1am.

If you live in chatham and have friends in chatham then you can hang out at chatham all hours of the night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter