Visiting San Diego...

WDW Obsessed

Mouseketeer
Going to Sand Diego for a conference at the end of next month. I plan to hit up Disney for a day, but what is there to do IN Sand Diego that time of year??

Background:
(33yo male)

I like scotch, whiskey, beer, steak, potatoes, cigars, and laying in the sun. LOL I'm also a fan of rock/metal and don't mind paying a cover to get into places. What's up my alley out there?

Tips, tricks, advice always welcome! TIA.

Well then, you're going to have to make a tour of the Gaslamp District. Plenty of nightlife and lots of good happy hours for the suave, debonair, man about town. Early morning means a stop at Brian's 24...open 24 hours and the place to end the night after the bars close. We're usually there around 6 to 7 in the morning...no we haven't stayed up all night...on our way to the airport.

Humphrey's at the Bay is good for concerts and there's a House of Blues - plus there are lots of other venues - I've gone down from OC a number of times for shows since they tend to sell out less quickly than LA shows. Look at ticketmaster for your dates - and also at ticketweb, which is more for smaller up-and-coming acts ( not sure how far south they cover though --but i know they do list venues not too far from DL)

Gaslamp is indeed a good place to start searching for good bars and night life.

Yeah the gaslight looks like my kind of area. I am actually staying at the Horton which is perfect!! After looking around I'm defiantly gonna hit up a few places...looked in the Tipsy Crow and one of the Irish pubs! I plan to hit up Donovan's as well. :)

Well then, you're going to have to make a tour of the Gaslamp District. Plenty of nightlife and lots of good happy hours for the suave, debonair, man about town. Early morning means a stop at Brian's 24...open 24 hours and the place to end the night after the bars close. We're usually there around 6 to 7 in the morning...no we haven't stayed up all night...on our way to the airport.

Looks good, especially the eggs and porterhouse!!!!

On another note.....is there a food challenge out there? I can mow a few pizzas or steaks if need be. LOL

The Broken Yolk...there's one in the Gaslamp on 6th...has a 12 egg omelet stuffed with god knows what, smothered in their chile, crap load of potatoes and two giant biscuits. Free if you finish it.

The Broken Yolk...there's one in the Gaslamp on 6th...has a 12 egg omelet stuffed with god knows what, smothered in their chile, crap load of potatoes and two giant biscuits. Free if you finish it.

I'm not a big egg fan, so I'll have to pass on that one. I was hoping for Pizza, steak, or hot wings. :)

Not sure if they have any challenges, but for sheer quantity of food, Hash House a Go Go lays out quite a spread. Not in the Gaslamp, but in Hillcrest, just a short car/bus ride away.

Quick question....what are the temps like out there mid to late Oct.?? What kinda business casual clothes should I be wearing?? I plan on suit during the day, and khakis & dress shirt for evenings.....too dressy or what?

Quick question....what are the temps like out there mid to late Oct.?? What kinda business casual clothes should I be wearing?? I plan on suit during the day, and khakis & dress shirt for evenings.....too dressy or what?

The temps can vary greatly, today was 100+ but by friday will be down to 80. I would bring layers. Khakis and a dress shirt might be a bit much for nightlife, we're a beach town. Nice jeans and a club shirt?

Food challenge - Try Lucha Libre for the Man Vs Food featured Surf 'n Turf burrito!

We have a LOT of great breweries around here. Stone is 2 miles from my house, but we're up in North County, about a half hour drive from downtown. They do have a bottle shop/company store on 30th street south of Balboa Park. There aren't too many places in the Gaslamp that will sell local beers, most are too touristy. A great one that has a huge beer selection is the Yard House on 4th and Broadway. Also, if you want beer and some fresh sea air, take the ferry from downtown to Coronado island and try Coronado Brewing.

I can't remember a time that we visited San Diego that I didn't wear shorts with a long/short sleeve shirt. Sometimes I'll bring a light jacket, but don't usually need it. The bars are close enough together in the Gaslamp that you'll probably just carry a jacket, not put it on bar to bar.

Really though, just check the weather before you go and you'll be fine.

The temps can vary greatly, today was 100+ but by friday will be down to 80. I would bring layers. Khakis and a dress shirt might be a bit much for nightlife, we're a beach town. Nice jeans and a club shirt?

Food challenge - Try Lucha Libre for the Man Vs Food featured Surf 'n Turf burrito!

We have a LOT of great breweries around here. Stone is 2 miles from my house, but we're up in North County, about a half hour drive from downtown. They do have a bottle shop/company store on 30th street south of Balboa Park. There aren't too many places in the Gaslamp that will sell local beers, most are too touristy. A great one that has a huge beer selection is the Yard House on 4th and Broadway. Also, if you want beer and some fresh sea air, take the ferry from downtown to Coronado island and try Coronado Brewing.

Yeah Stone has always been one of my go to beers. It's always Stone or Sam Adams depending on where I can get Stone. One of my favorites are the OAK Barreled Beers, though I do like the arrogant series!

I'm sure I find something to hit up. Being from MA, I can't see myself being cold at all. Looking over temps the average is 60-70, so I CAN get by with a tee and jeans.

I can't remember a time that we visited San Diego that I didn't wear shorts with a long/short sleeve shirt. Sometimes I'll bring a light jacket, but don't usually need it. The bars are close enough together in the Gaslamp that you'll probably just carry a jacket, not put it on bar to bar.

Really though, just check the weather before you go and you'll be fine.

Thought the same thing, just wasn't sure if I needed to wear anything fancy like when I go into Boston. Most clubs look down upon anything but "shoes", where basically no "sneakers" are allowed. That and they "prefer" you to wear a button up shirt or polo of some sort.

Me, I'm a jeans and tee through and through so dressing up is not my forte. I don't mind it, but would prefer something WAY more comfortable. :lmao:

Not sure if they have any challenges, but for sheer quantity of food, Hash House a Go Go lays out quite a spread. Not in the Gaslamp, but in Hillcrest, just a short car/bus ride away.

Yes! We discovered this place on trip advisor and were blown away. The portions are insane but the food was really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter