Visiting other islands - volcanos and observatories

Why do a split stay? Hilo-Kona is only about 1.5-2hr drive.

-Paul

I want to do a mix of adventurous stuff and relaxing beach resort stuff, plus save some money in between. The plan is to start in Hilo and stay at a cheaper hotel (maybe Hilo Seaside Hotel) and do the more adventurous stuff on that side of the island for a few days (Volcano National Park, Punaluʻu Black Sand Beach, Hawai'i Tropical Botanical Gardens, Hilo Farmers Market, Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls, tour a chocolate farm, see some of the museums, etc.). I don't want to spend a lot of money at one of the more expensive hotels if I will be out and about most of the day. Plus, there is way too much to see and do in the Hilo area than you couldn't do it all in one day, and I wouldn't want to make that 1.5-2hr drive multiple days.

After that, I want to stay at one of the nicer beach resorts, which are mostly north of Kona. I'm looking at the Westin Hapuna Beach (I have another thread in this forum discussing hotel choices in that area). The hotel looks gorgeous, and between the beach and the pools I could definitely just sit and relax for a few days, plus see a few things on that coast.

I actually have a plan (as of now) to make that drive a day long activity. Start in Hilo, and go south, stop at the Punalu'u Beach and the Punalu'u Bake Shop. As I go back north on the other coast into the Captain Cook area stop at one of the famous coffee farms (I see great things about Greenwell Farms) where they do tours and tastings. Then drive through Kona and up to the resort. It shouldn't take all day, but it seems like a nice, scenic drive with lots to do along the way.

I guess I could stay at one hotel and zig zag around the island for the whole trip, but it seems like a lot of traveling, and once again I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money at a resort where I wouldn't be spending a lot of time.

I want to do a mix of adventurous stuff and relaxing beach resort stuff, plus save some money in between. The plan is to start in Hilo and stay at a cheaper hotel (maybe Hilo Seaside Hotel) and do the more adventurous stuff on that side of the island for a few days (Volcano National Park, Punaluʻu Black Sand Beach, Hawai'i Tropical Botanical Gardens, Hilo Farmers Market, Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls, tour a chocolate farm, see some of the museums, etc.). I don't want to spend a lot of money at one of the more expensive hotels if I will be out and about most of the day. Plus, there is way too much to see and do in the Hilo area than you couldn't do it all in one day, and I wouldn't want to make that 1.5-2hr drive multiple days.

After that, I want to stay at one of the nicer beach resorts, which are mostly north of Kona. I'm looking at the Westin Hapuna Beach (I have another thread in this forum discussing hotel choices in that area). The hotel looks gorgeous, and between the beach and the pools I could definitely just sit and relax for a few days, plus see a few things on that coast.

I actually have a plan (as of now) to make that drive a day long activity. Start in Hilo, and go south, stop at the Punalu'u Beach and the Punalu'u Bake Shop. As I go back north on the other coast into the Captain Cook area stop at one of the famous coffee farms (I see great things about Greenwell Farms) where they do tours and tastings. Then drive through Kona and up to the resort. It shouldn't take all day, but it seems like a nice, scenic drive with lots to do along the way.

I guess I could stay at one hotel and zig zag around the island for the whole trip, but it seems like a lot of traveling, and once again I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money at a resort where I wouldn't be spending a lot of time.

That is kind of what we did, when we visited (living on Oahu at the time, with our 5 month old)). It is more common for folks to fly into one area and out of the other.

We started in Kailua-Kona, staying at an inexpensive place. Then drove to VNP (stayed at KMC as my DH was active duty, and it was awesome! Not fancy but so amazing to be right in the park).

It took us literally an entire day to drive through Punaluu and over, stopping a couple times. Like 7 hours or so? We enjoyed the drive, but it really is better to fly into one area and out the other. Hilo town was so cute and wonderful, and staying in the VNP was priceless.

No way I’d want to drive back and forth; it is a long drive, and there is so much to see.

Why do a split stay? Hilo-Kona is only about 1.5-2hr drive.

-Paul
I really wished I had done a split stay when driving back to Kona late one night. I think I fell asleep two or three times. Switched drivers only for my wife to fall asleep as well. Was a scary and dangerous trip back to the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter