Videos with break-downs, closures, and other changes of plans

Skipadeedoodaa

Earning My Ears
This is the kind of thing that takes a long time to build so I am starting it now in the hopes it will be full for us and everyone else when and if we need it.

I watched this video today of a guy encountering a broken monorail and having to switch to a bus which put him behind schedule for opening, then he made plans and had to change them on the fly in response to rides' wait times, the moving walkway was broken, and then the Tomorrowland Transit Authority broke down as soon as he got on it. None of this was his topic as he was actually doing a challenge to get 10 rides in 4 hours, but I found it very helpful for visualizing and explaining that rides break down and plans change, especially since he talked through the changes in a very calm and accepting way. He even mentioned the need to preemptively plan for a bathroom break, all in a smooth and quick-paced video.

I think it would be very helpful to watch with my kids and that more examples would help reinforce the positive and accepting expectation that plans change. As you come across more, please drop them here!

The rule at Disney is if it can break down it can happen at Disney ( some times for a ride it is not a break down when hour in it but they have stoped it to let someone in a wheelchair or someone that needs more time to get on). I think one thing you can do is let your child watch the video and when something dose not go as planned pointed it out. lol the monarail is down and then point out but look he made it. And also point out that some times thing just do not work out look he tried to video the whole welcome show but could not because of a dad out there kids on his shoulder let him know it was no one fault just something that happens. I think a lot will be how you react to thing maybe make a stories of if a ride breaks down I will not get up set but take 10 deep breaths then look at the map for something that I can do that is fun. ( you might want to give the child something like a dolller for every something dose not go to plan and he can work thought it and at the end of the trip he gets to bay something with it. )

The rule at Disney is if it can break down it can happen at Disney ( some times for a ride it is not a break down when hour in it but they have stoped it to let someone in a wheelchair or someone that needs more time to get on). I think one thing you can do is let your child watch the video and when something dose not go as planned pointed it out. lol the monarail is down and then point out but look he made it. And also point out that some times thing just do not work out look he tried to video the whole welcome show but could not because of a dad out there kids on his shoulder let him know it was no one fault just something that happens. I think a lot will be how you react to thing maybe make a stories of if a ride breaks down I will not get up set but take 10 deep breaths then look at the map for something that I can do that is fun. ( you might want to give the child something like a dolller for every something dose not go to plan and he can work thought it and at the end of the trip he gets to bay something with it. )
I had forgotten about the tripod! Thank you for pointing that one out! He got there early, scouted a location, set up, and then a dad with his child on his shoulders stood in that exact spot obscuring his camera's view. He just had to abandon the plan and film by hand from a less than ideal spot.

That is exactly the kind of thing I want to positively model and discuss! No external rewards needed here if we can get enough other examples that it is internalized in a healthy way. Please add videos that model this acceptance as you come across them!

I had forgotten about the tripod! Thank you for pointing that one out! He got there early, scouted a location, set up, and then a dad with his child on his shoulders stood in that exact spot obscuring his camera's view. He just had to abandon the plan and film by hand from a less than ideal spot.

That is exactly the kind of thing I want to positively model and discuss! No external rewards needed here if we can get enough other examples that it is internalized in a healthy way. Please add videos that model this acceptance as you come across them!
There really is no way to come up with all the what if at Disney I go a few times a year for about 5/6 years now and every time I go something new comes up that has never happens before that I have never heard of or seen.

Would make g a general story board help him like we are going to get up and get ready ( eat breakfast brush teeth eat get dressed but it dose not have to be in this order) then we are going to go to XYZ park we might take the bus or the monorail or the boat. We will then decide on a ride to go do ( you can look at the app for ride with lower wait to go on and let him decide between 2) So have a very lose schedule maybe say after we do two ride we are going to take a break and use the bathroom get some water ( the breaks do not have to be long) I am someone that like to know what is going to happen and when and this is something I do every time I go to Disney I have a hard time when rides breakdown especially after I have waited for my DAS return time but they do give you an anytime FP for the ride so you can do it when it comes back up

Here is a Video of someone using the DAS and going to a ride to get a return time. This was the day the DAS started and the DAS is no longer on paper ( unless the computer are down witch has happens one time for me) it is now on the MB the CM will scan the MB with an iPod or iPad device to give the return time

Also I did not know what thread that you had but think it might help you to explain how the DAS works to your son. ( you might not want to let him know untill after you get it while I think there is a great chance you will get it there are no guarantees you will get it )

There really is no way to come up with all the what if at Disney I go a few times a year for about 5/6 years now and every time I go something new comes up that has never happens before that I have never heard of or seen.

Would make g a general story board help him like we are going to get up and get ready ( eat breakfast brush teeth eat get dressed but it dose not have to be in this order) then we are going to go to XYZ park we might take the bus or the monorail or the boat. We will then decide on a ride to go do ( you can look at the app for ride with lower wait to go on and let him decide between 2) So have a very lose schedule maybe say after we do two ride we are going to take a break and use the bathroom get some water ( the breaks do not have to be long) I am someone that like to know what is going to happen and when and this is something I do every time I go to Disney I have a hard time when rides breakdown especially after I have waited for my DAS return time but they do give you an anytime FP for the ride so you can do it when it comes back up
Here is a Video of someone using the DAS and going to a ride to get a return time. This was the day the DAS started and the DAS is no longer on paper ( unless the computer are down witch has happens one time for me) it is now on the MB the CM will scan the MB with an iPod or iPad device to give the return time

Also I did not know what thread that you had but think it might help you to explain how the DAS works to your son. ( you might not want to let him know untill after you get it while I think there is a great chance you will get it there are no guarantees you will get it )
Thank you!! I'm going to come re-read later so might follow-up again on the helpful details.

I want to clarify that while I would be doing everything else like social stories and discussion, just seeing videos where these changes happen will be hugely helpful for internalizing expectations in and of themselves, at least for our family. It's totally different to talk about it and to see it in practice in diverse situations.

I think such videos will be easy to come by, as you rightly point out the frequency, but will most often be stumbled upon, like the TimTracker example in the first post which was on a completely unrelated topic and yet modeled this wonderfully.

Starting this thread now will allow people to remember the need for many more video examples of exactly the kind of unpredictably and flexibility you describe so that over time when they see a positive modeling of responding to changes, they can drop it here as a resource for others to easily find and use. I think families of all types, not just those with disabilities, would find that extremely helpful for preparing for what to expect and how to respond.

Here is another Tim tracker on POTCB breakdown ( it is at the 20 minute mark ) it dose take a while for the ride to start up agin and they got some FP in the end. They then went on the voyage of the little mermaid and this ride too stoped and slowed down but those stops were more likely to let someone in a wheelchair/ ECV get on or off the ride.

I don’t have any video of it, but we were inside Test Track twice when it closed down. Once we were inside the queue, but not into the room where guests design their cars yet. The other time, we were in the design room.
Test Track can. Lose down for multiple reasons, but the predictable one is weather. It can’t operate if there are storms in/approaching the area.

Fantasmic also closes down for weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter