VGC resale vs DLT direct

JackArchie

HalloweenJack
Hi everyone. Currently own a 50 point VGC contract and 260 AUL contract. We are a family of 4 ( 3yo & 4yo) from Norcal and love staying at VGC. We go to Disneyland 3-4 times a year. Sometimes I get lucky and get 2-3 days in a 1BR at VGC at the 7 month window. My kid just started school and its harder to get a room during off school days. We were really excited and set to buy at DLT for 150 points (to get the blue card)when it opens for sale. But I found a listing and currently in contract for a 100 point VGC at $260 per pt (different use year from mine). I don't think $260 a point is bad for VGC but back in Feb 2021 I turned down a 100 pt VGC at $235/pt(still kicking myself ). The jump of VGC resale seems astronomical to me and worried we might see it drop. Now having second thoughts if I should go ahead with VGC resale vs buying at DLT when it opens. We love VGC and really intrigued by DLT but we can only have one. We would prefer to stay in Studios to stretch out the points. If you were me what would you choose?

Last edited:
I don’t know why west coast needs a blue card at all. Heck, blue card is so stripped, most people don’t need one. If you’re buying VCG points, they’re so expensive, you shouldn’t be using them outside VGC anyway.

DLT is worse location, and I would bet the chart and price are going to be eye watering. I’d stick to VGC.

That said, the VGC price is so high, mathematically renting is better, if you can find the points. If your goal is DL, I would stick to VGC. The price is crazy and has been for a long time — still better than cash! For a contract this long and expensive, it isn’t like $30/point matters much in the overall math.

Personally, I’d buy VGC resale. It’s such a gorgeous resort (I love the theming) and it’s location can’t be beat. And, as you noted, you must own to book there.

If you prefer 1BRs, DLT will have very few of them. And while yes, DLT is not very far away, it is still a hit of a walk and doesn’t have the convenience of its own gate to CA

I agree with RoseGold and Lorana although as far as point charts go I don't know if it will be as high as Grand Cal is currently.

When your family starts to grow in size you will probably want the larger accomadations.

According to DVC Fan, the Disneyland tower will provide a lot of tower and regular studios but only have 19 One Bedroom units and 20 two bedroom units.

By comparison Grand Cal is much smaller overall but does have 23 dedicated Two Bedroom units and 23 One bedroom units that can be used with a studio for a Two bed lock off.

Obviously we do not know the floor plan of the new tower but Grand Cal is similar to BLT and Kidani where you get an extra bathroom in the 1 & 2 Bedroom villas. Just something else to think about as your kids grow up.

I don’t know why west coast needs a blue card at all. Heck, blue card is so stripped, most people don’t need one. If you’re buying VCG points, they’re so expensive, you shouldn’t be using them outside VGC anyway.

DLT is worse location, and I would bet the chart and price are going to be eye watering. I’d stick to VGC.

That said, the VGC price is so high, mathematically renting is better, if you can find the points. If your goal is DL, I would stick to VGC. The price is crazy and has been for a long time — still better than cash! For a contract this long and expensive, it isn’t like $30/point matters much in the overall math.

I know as West Coasters that just go to AUL and VGC don’t really need the blue card. But I want it 😂.

I was lucky to get my 50 VGC contract in 2019 at $165 a point. $260 right know seems like a good deal compared to how much its been selling for $270-290’s but still a big jump.

Personally, I’d buy VGC resale. It’s such a gorgeous resort (I love the theming) and it’s location can’t be beat. And, as you noted, you must own to book there.

If you prefer 1BRs, DLT will have very few of them. And while yes, DLT is not very far away, it is still a hit of a walk and doesn’t have the convenience of its own gate to CA

I agreee with you nothing beats the theming and location of Grand Cal. I’ve always wanted to add more points since 2019. Kicking myself cause I was always looking for a good deal and ended up passing on a lot. I’m just afraid I maybe buying at peak pricing and a drop may come soon.

I know as West Coasters that just go to AUL and VGC don’t really need the blue card. But I want it 😂.

This is an important point. Why do you want it? You don't get a DL AP discount. Is it just FOMO? How much is FOMO worth to you? We have no idea how much the new DL DVC will cost per point direct, but given the timeline it's entirely possible the opening price is approaching or surpassing today's resale value on VGC. We also know the DL DVC will be mostly studios, and you've already said 1brs work better for you.

For someone who only goes to AUL/VGC and never comes to WDW, the blue card is more than worthless, but if it's that important to you to feel part of a "club" (and to be clear, it is absolutely just a feeling, everything else is ancillary and not worth the money), then wait for DL DVC. But all signs point to VGC resale now being significantly better for you.

Let me tell you, as someone who always wishes we had bought in at BWV/BCV a few years ago when we first bought, and continuously goes back and forth on the resale value of a 2042 resort... just buy VGC. You don't want to be staying at the DL DVC, walking past VGC, and wishing you had done things differently.

Obviously we do not know the floor plan of the new tower but Grand Cal is similar to BLT and Kidani where you get an extra bathroom in the 1 & 2 Bedroom villas. Just something else to think about as your kids grow up.

We have known the floor plan for a long time. https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...el-dvc-thread-see-post-1-for-updates.3807808/

I agree with RoseGold and Lorana although as far as point charts go I don't know if it will be as high as Grand Cal is currently.

Point charts only go one way. Up. RIV played some games to be a point or two within VGF, but I can see DLT just ignoring that and passing the VGC chart. Like at RIV, this chart is going to work hard for Disney.

If I were you, I'd buy the VGC. The location is better and if you buy the DLT, you may end up wishing that you were at VGC every stay. I fully expect to feel that way if I buy DLT. If you aren't able to secure a VGC contract by the time DLT sales begin, maybe go for DLT at that point.

I'm not really sure what you prefer, having the one bedroom or saving money. If it's saving money, it may be possible to go during the conventions like Dapper Day. I got a great rate for a stay in November, although I chose DLH because that is where the convention normally takes place. They do also sell discounted Grand rooms and the convention is twice per year. That's a big savings compared to buying the timeshare, but if you prefer a one bedroom, then you need to buy the timeshare or rent points 11 months in advance.

Point charts only go one way. Up. RIV played some games to be a point or two within VGF, but I can see DLT just ignoring that and passing the VGC chart. Like at RIV, this chart is going to work hard for Disney.
I was thinking they would not go up as there would be a lot more rooms available but you are probably right that the point charts will most likely increase.

This is an important point. Why do you want it? You don't get a DL AP discount. Is it just FOMO? How much is FOMO worth to you? We have no idea how much the new DL DVC will cost per point direct, but given the timeline it's entirely possible the opening price is approaching or surpassing today's resale value on VGC. We also know the DL DVC will be mostly studios, and you've already said 1brs work better for you.

For someone who only goes to AUL/VGC and never comes to WDW, the blue card is more than worthless, but if it's that important to you to feel part of a "club" (and to be clear, it is absolutely just a feeling, everything else is ancillary and not worth the money), then wait for DL DVC. But all signs point to VGC resale now being significantly better for you.

Let me tell you, as someone who always wishes we had bought in at BWV/BCV a few years ago when we first bought, and continuously goes back and forth on the resale value of a 2042 resort... just buy VGC. You don't want to be staying at the DL DVC, walking past VGC, and wishing you had done things differently.

Some cast members at AUL make you feel second grade when you show the White Card instead of the Blue. 😂 they’re annoying me. Since I always wanted to add VGC And they were hard to find til now. I was set on buying DLT direct.

You maybe right I don’t want to regret passing on VGC everytime I walk pass it staying at DLT. I do prefer staying in STUDIOS but its almost impossible to book using my AUL so I end up getting a 1 BR occasionally when its available at 7 months.

I'll buy your Aulani contract if you want the cash.

What are you showing your white card at Aulani for anyways? DVD rentals?

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I'm selling my Subsidized AUL anytime soon. The maintenance fee is the best.

They ask you for your card when you get bands for the pool and on checking in.

If I were you, I'd buy the VGC. The location is better and if you buy the DLT, you may end up wishing that you were at VGC every stay. I fully expect to feel that way if I buy DLT. If you aren't able to secure a VGC contract by the time DLT sales begin, maybe go for DLT at that point.

I'm not really sure what you prefer, having the one bedroom or saving money. If it's saving money, it may be possible to go during the conventions like Dapper Day. I got a great rate for a stay in November, although I chose DLH because that is where the convention normally takes place. They do also sell discounted Grand rooms and the convention is twice per year. That's a big savings compared to buying the timeshare, but if you prefer a one bedroom, then you need to buy the timeshare or rent points 11 months in advance.

I don't want to feel that way. Every time I'm at VGC I always tell myself I need more points!!! I guess I'm just worried I'm buying at peak pricing that's all. For what its worth the contract I'm getting is double points so that helps make me feel I'm getting a good deal during peak times.

And we do prefer staying in Studios to maximize the points. The only reason I was getting 1BR because that's the only one available at 7mo so I can use my AUL contract. If I get this 100 points added to my current 50 pt VGC . I will have enough for like a 2-3 day stay 3x a year.

I'm white card and I've only stayed at Aulani with cash, so I wasn't trying to gatekeep or anything. Just curious.

I don't really care for the member pool bands. They're thicker and uncomfortable. Its more of the annoying circumstances that they ask for a membership card. One time during checking in they tried to charge me for parking because I have a white card instead of blue. I had to explain to the cast member it does not matter when your staying on DVC parking is included regardless if its direct or resale. So I always wanted to buy at DLT when it opens so why not get the blue card with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!