VGC resale vs DLT direct

I need some help and guidance please. I called in January 2020 to try to purchase VGC and was told that it was sold out, and that there would not be a waiting list any longer. The salesman we spoke with Terry Roe followed up to let us know about the upcoming DLT project. I was elated! He mentioned that we should buy Aulani from him in order to have priority. We did not purchase this and still don’t own DVC (the shut down obviously distracted us etc). So here is where I need help. I want to buy a 2 bedroom contract at DLT when it is on sale. What are my odds of getting this? Will
I have low priority due to not being a DVC member? We aren’t interested in owning in FL because we don’t like traveling there. Additionally, I tried calling Terry last night and the phone just kept ringing and did not go to voicemail. Should I call DVC to get on another sales agent’s list? Help please! I truly am thankful for any feedback.
I echo the above and will add:
1. Read up on DVC so you know how it works. Point charts, use year, banking and borrowing, etc. There are many YouTube videos that explain it very well and break it down.
2. Get another guide, the one you had before is probably gone. Just call and you'll be assigned another. Then ask them to put you on the info list for DLT so they let you know when it's on sale. It'll still be months so you have time to get informed (and save!)

I need some help and guidance please. I called in January 2020 to try to purchase VGC and was told that it was sold out, and that there would not be a waiting list any longer. The salesman we spoke with Terry Roe followed up to let us know about the upcoming DLT project. I was elated! He mentioned that we should buy Aulani from him in order to have priority. We did not purchase this and still don’t own DVC (the shut down obviously distracted us etc). So here is where I need help. I want to buy a 2 bedroom contract at DLT when it is on sale. What are my odds of getting this? Will
I have low priority due to not being a DVC member? We aren’t interested in owning in FL because we don’t like traveling there. Additionally, I tried calling Terry last night and the phone just kept ringing and did not go to voicemail. Should I call DVC to get on another sales agent’s list? Help please! I truly am thankful for any feedback.
I would also get a new guide. For him to tell you that you haveto buy Aulani direct is so scummy and disingenuous. The other thing is to pay close attention to the room inventory of DLT. Out of the 350 rooms, only 20 will be dedicated 2BRs and 19 lockoffs, which means competition might be stiff for anything other than the studios at 11 months. Whereas at VGC, room inventory is more balanced, albeit very small at only 48 total villas, but 11 month availability is usually a non issue. As our wise Australian princess advised, keep calm. Disney will haveto sell 5+ million points at DLT. There will be plenty to go around for everyone, including non owners.

Let’s calculate! I consider something economical if it breaks even at the 10 year mark (like solar, mortgage points, etc…)

Let’s say you buy a 136pt contract @ $400/pt = $54,400 which gets you 6 nights a year (Friday-Monday) in a VGC studio in the fall/spring.

Call it $7.50/pt for dues (rounding, don’t feel like calculating all 10 years). $7.50 x 136pts x 10 years = $10,200 dues cost.

$54,400 + $10,200 = $64,600 to stay 60 nights = $1076/night

We are almost to that point. If you believe the cost of a weekend night will go from $800 to $1200 over the 10 year mark, then you will likely break even at 10 years.

People are free to use a different period of time as the contract is good until 2060. Over 20 years, and $8.50/pt dues average, that comes to $77,520 for 120 nights, or $646/night.

Factors ignored for simplicity: opportunity costs of the initial $54,400, inflation, taxes, possible future tax deductions, borrowing costs if applicable, future Disney discounts to GCH hotel rates, DLT impact, future closures/wasted points, etc…

TL;DR = I will probably bid $360-$380 for a 50-150 point VGC contract if it matches my UY, but $400/pt isn’t entirely out of the question, either.

ETA: here’s a 3 night stay for this weekend:

View attachment 612905
View attachment 612906
If you paid this twice a year for ten years, total cost is $55,387….roughly the breakeven for $400/pt at current prices, no future increases ~12 years.
This doesn’t account for increasing dues over time. How would one calculate that? (I’ve been trying to figure that part out but am at a loss as I’m not a math wiz! 😕)

This doesn’t account for increasing dues over time. How would one calculate that? (I’ve been trying to figure that part out but am at a loss as I’m not a math wiz! 😕)
We're already well past $800 per weekend night. Also left out were parking costs. Also, I wouldn't plan on tossing my points in the trash bin after ten years...

If comparing today’s rack rates to today’s maintenance dues the easiest thing for me to do is just consider increasing dues a wash with increasing hotel prices. The hotel price will continue to rise, the annual dues will continue to rise. Owning VGC will continue to be worth it 🙃

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter