VGC or VDH for a stay, pros/cons?

Keep the VDH waitlist?

• Yes - try a new resort

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No - VGC all the way

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, did it make a sound?

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

kboo

DIS Veteran
This is probably a moot point since there's almost no availability at VDH anyway, so this is about whether to deactivate a waitlist. But helpful for future trips:

We were lucky enough to book a 2br at VGC over the winter break. Super excited!

I also waitlisted a 2br at VDH which has no hope of filling unless they release more points before then. Some bonuses to WL at VDH: shiny new room, extra bathroom, try a new resort (we've stayed at VGC before), would save almost 100 points.

Cons: I had forgotten about transient tax which, for this room would be $1000 (!!!!)

Anyone have a view on this? I'm considering deactivating my waitlist. (And yes, I know, almost no chance of filling, but I've lucked into impossible waitlists getting fulfilled before)

Would especially like to hear from people who have stayed at both resorts. We were at VGC 2 years ago and the rooms seemed in need of refurb then, but I loved how close we were to everything.

You will regret staying at VDH every time you walk past VGC and know you still have so much farther to walk to your room at the end of the day. Sure you can take the monorail but for us it just wasnt as convenient as VGC and could only use the monorail once. You also lose that walking down main st vibe I love so much. As for the rooms. Yes they are newer, but mine had things that still weren't finished like missing picture frames not a huge deal but still noticeable, yet the room was also showing wear already. The shower door would not stay shut. The lobby if you could call it a lobby smelled like sewer everyday we were there. For us I spent every day wishing we were at the VGC or even DLH (cash stay)

Grand Calif is just sooo much more convenient, but yes, getting long-in-the-tooth and due for a refurb. I would stay at VDH this trip while it's all shiny and new. One and done. It does have a great outdoor bar/restaurant, so if you stay at Grand California, be sure to wander over and check it out, especially at night.

Nothing beats the GCH lobby at Christmas time (at DLR anyway)! We’re local and spend a lot of time at DL over the holidays. We almost always book a staycation at VGC for after the tree goes up to soak in more of the holiday spirit. Last year I didn’t, and we were all so sad!

I haven’t stayed at VDH, but we have absolutely no interest. We toured the rooms during the member magic event, and they just feel dollhouse-ish. The lobby is cute, but if I’m not staying at VGC, we’re just going home 🤷🏼‍♀️

ETA: Many So Cal residents w/o passes flock to DtD to enjoy the decorations and festive feel, so it will be bonkers. Walking through those crowds is NOT fun…

ETA: Many So Cal residents w/o passes flock to DtD to enjoy the decorations and festive feel, so it will be bonkers. Walking through those crowds is NOT fun…
ooh - and this is more of an issue if staying at VDH? Or just a general warning no matter what?
Nothing beats the GCH lobby at Christmas time (at DLR anyway)!
🥰 I cannot believe I forgot this point. That's it. Waitlist canceled. [Also quite possible that DH may relent on a "small" VGC contract, lol]

I'll wait with ToT for a shorter trip in a studio or smaller. THANK YOU ALL.

ooh - and this is more of an issue if staying at VDH? Or just a general warning no matter what?

It’ll certainly be quite evident if you spend any evenings in DtD or when exiting DL to head back to VGC. Depending on what time it is, sometimes my kids would rather head back through DCA from DL to get back to VGC. 😂 BUT, It’s a looooong, very crowded walk back to DLH through DtD when exiting either park. If the monorail is actually running, that can be helpful if one is in DL.

If you’re in DCA, heading back to VGC can’t be beat as you have two super easy exits to zip out of and you avoid DtD completely!

Also quite possible that DH may relent on a "small" VGC contract, lol

I obviously think canceling the waitlist was the right choice! 😅🤩 And yes, I’d bet after a stay at VGC during Christmas time, you’ll likely be searching for a contract there! 🎄😆

It’ll certainly be quite evident if you spend any evenings in DtD or when exiting DL to head back to VGC. Depending on what time it is, sometimes my kids would rather head back through DCA from DL to get back to VGC. 😂 BUT, It’s a looooong, very crowded walk back to DLH through DtD when exiting either park. If the monorail is actually running, that can be helpful if one is in DL.

If you’re in DCA, heading back to VGC can’t be beat as you have two super easy exits to zip out of and you avoid DtD completely!

I obviously think canceling the waitlist was the right choice! 😅🤩 And yes, I’d bet after a stay at VGC during Christmas time, you’ll likely be searching for a contract there! 🎄😆
We stayed once in a studio for a short stay April 2022 (?) and loved it. Wanted to stay longer! Since then I managed to get a VGC reservation for 2023 that I canceled to go to Aulani (tough choices!) and now we are back for Christmas. Originally thought we'd go more often to see and stay with my sister... time will tell. But they are not super into DL on their own, so we would spend, at most, a side trip together with a visit to them.

I voted "Yes - try a new resort" but only for purely selfish reasons. < evil grin >

I’ve stayed at both one day next to each other. VDH is newer, but I still enjoyed VGC quite a bit more. I doubt I would ever pick VDH over VGC, but I would stay at VDH if it was available and VGC was not. You will also save yourself some money by staying at VGC.

Nope, VGC all the way. $1K for TOT is a killer. Your stay at VGC is paid for, you check out without any bills.

Latest posts

facebook twitter