Very unlikely, but . . .

As others have mentioned--which I understand really irritates OP!--the bigger concern is AFTER you go ride that one ride at AK. You're done with that by, if you're lucky, 10am. Now what? You don't technically have a room to go back to until 3:00pm. You may get lucky and get an early check-in. You may not. You can't count on it. What do you do then?

OK, I get it - can't check in early. (1) Message received (multiple, multiple times), and thanks! It always fascinates me how many folks feel like they need to respond to posts and reiterate exactly what the last couple of responses said, as if the OP might not be actually reading any other responses, especially the ones saying exactly what they are about to say. I wonder how many more folks will respond to this with variations on "'you can't check in early'?", thinking that perhaps the OP (that would be me) didn't understand or process all the other posts saying essentially the same thing... ;)

(2) And if the parking lots are closed (although we've been told by a few CM's that they'll be open, but what do they know?), I guess we'll find somewhere else to park and catch a few winks. We're pretty tough.

KC

1) It always surprises me how many original posters who get the same response multiple times don't stop for a moment to think that many, if not most, of those responses are posted immediately on reading the first post.

2) Animal Kingdom's parking lot often does not open until 8 AM. Not just that the booths aren't staffed, but access is actually prohibited.

I'd also have to book a room for that night.

I have to wash the "travel" off me when I arrive at my destination. Travel days just make me feel icky and tired.

One trip we got a deal and flew out of Toronto at the butt crack of dawn. Landed in Orlando around 7 (I think) got to the resort super early, checked in and waited for our room to be ready. And waited. And waited. And waited. This was of course the only trip that we actually had to wait until just after 3 for our room to be ready. I was miserable. Tired, kinda cranky and covered in travel!

Lesson learned.

I have to wash the "travel" off me when I arrive at my destination. Travel days just make me feel icky and tired.

One trip we got a deal and flew out of Toronto at the butt crack of dawn. Landed in Orlando around 7 (I think) got to the resort super early, checked in and waited for our room to be ready. And waited. And waited. And waited. This was of course the only trip that we actually had to wait until just after 3 for our room to be ready. I was miserable. Tired, kinda cranky and covered in travel!

Lesson learned.
totally agree....for under $100 you can get a decent offsite room to at least shower up and grab a few ZZZZ's before hitting the lot right when it opens

Kind of off topic, but I got answers to a few of my questions that have gone ignored on large threads (late check in and early check in related).

So thanks for starting this thread, OP :D Seriously, though I would also get the room. I know it's repetitive, but when asking for opinions on the DIS you WILL get a lot of them!

I hope you have a great trip!

Hi OP,

I think your idea sounds like fun. I understand wanting to do something like that on vacation. However, if you didn't ask on these boards, you probably wouldn't have found out about not getting into the parking lot at 3 a.m. until closer to your trip. I would not have even thought about that not being a possibility.

I have found that a serious lack of sleep when travelling actually makes me physically sick (bad headaches and nauseous). But, I usually don't sleep much before I leave for vacation because I'm trying to do a million things at home before I leave.

Based on not being able to check into the hotel until 6 a.m. and even that doesn't guarantee getting into the room and not being able to get in to AK parking lot until later, I would probably opt for an inexpensive airport hotel and then head straight to the park super early.

Enjoy your trip!

Lesson learned.
Some of the resorts have showers in the restrooms by the pool. :)

i called to ask about this exact thing, and was told that i would have to get a room for any arrival time before 5:30AM - so i would reccommend just adding a day to your current trip

totally agree....for under $100 you can get a decent offsite room to at least shower up and grab a few ZZZZ's before hitting the lot right when it opens

But if stay at POP then their stuff can be transfered

We did a couple of the preview days in Pandora when we were down there and the queue line for FOP is REALLY long. The longest I've ever seen. It took us about 7 minutes to walk from the entrance to the place where they start sorting your for boarding. When talking to the CM's they are expecting 5-6 hour wait times. It could be longer. I just wanted to give you some idea of what to expect on that first day you are there.

FOP was awesome though!

Have a great trip and just do what works for you. :)

...With the crowds expected Saturday morning at Pandora, and since we're landing so late, my DH thought it would be neat to go right to AK and get on line...

I have read a lot of posts where people are planning to arrive at AK by 5 am for Pandora's opening so you really are not too far out from those. What I actually wonder is when security will show up to process you to go through and get in line at the tap styles. I know that in February, I had to wait for security to be ready before we could enter to line up for our PPO breakfast.

I will say that once you get through security that you should ask a CM if there are any special procedures that morning to figure out if any of the tap styles will work or if you should use specific ones. I know that usually when I am at AK at opening that they let people in and then hold them before letting them go up to the tree to scatter. If this is the case, there are many that can show up long after you that will be right with you on your way to Pandora. Plus, if they do any special opening ceremonies right at the entrance to Pandora, they have a large group gathered heading to the attractions all at once.

OK, I get it - can't check in early. Message received (multiple, multiple times), and thanks! It always fascinates me how many folks feel like they need to respond to posts and reiterate exactly what the last couple of responses said, as if the OP might not be actually reading any other responses, especially the ones saying exactly what they are about to say. I wonder how many more folks will respond to this with variations on "'you can't check in early'?", thinking that perhaps the OP (that would be me) didn't understand or process all the other posts saying essentially the same thing... ;)

And if the parking lots are closed (although we've been told by a few CM's that they'll be open, but what do they know?), I guess we'll find somewhere else to park and catch a few winks. We're pretty tough.

KC

I think it is awesome! Your DH sounds like a fun guy! I would not hesitate to do similar if we were going this weekend too!!

Report back on how it goes!

I would be crazy enough to do something like that too. But then, travel itself doesn't bother me much. And neither does waiting a long time for something I really want. And while having a room to crash in is very, very nice...I can (and have) rested in lobbies, uncomfortable airport chairs, and heck even once on a (surprisingly comfy) cardboard box in an airport!

Last September I was at WDW with a girlfriend. I had very little vacation days left but was desperate for an extra half day at the parks so I booked a 6am flight home. This meant I could hit the parks hard until 1am, do final packing, crash in the room for an hour's nap, then take the 3am DME to the airport for my 4.5 hr one-stop flight home (super budget trip). Got home before noon for a quick refresh and made it to work for 1pm. Worked all day until 10pm when I headed home to crash super hard.

Do report back on how it all goes - would love to hear your adventure!

OP: I cannot stress enough what a terrible idea that this sounds like to me. We almost never arrive at WDW by 11:00 pm - it is usually after midnight - and I have never considered not getting a resort room for the night. One time on check in we didn't receive our room until after 6:00 pm. That was unusually late, but it can happen. You would be there about 18 hours with no sleep and having been at an incredibly busy theme park. It sounds like a recipe for disaster - not fun in any way.

My opinion FWIW - get a room for the first night! Even if you only sleep a couple of hours it will be much better than nothing. Plus, when you are ready to leave the AK you will have a room waiting for you. Priceless!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter