Very excited about the idea of a solo trip!!!

MandyBear0182

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone!

After reading some of the posts in this board, I have decided that a solo trip to Disney World would be great! I could do whatever I want whenever I want!!! I don't mean to sound selfish, but even when I travel to WDW with just one other person, it's hard to fit what both of us want to do into the trip. Plus, they never have to take a break, want to go for a swim, or just feel like shopping at the same time I do. I had never thought of taking a solo trip before, I always thought it would be boring, but how can Disney World be boring???

I do have a couple of questions if I decide to do this.

First of all, I'm 20 years old and will be almost 21 at the time of the trip. I feel perfectly safe traveling around WDW alone, but do you guys think it's a good idea? Also, since I will be going in December, I plan on doing MVMCP. Will this be fun alone? Any input will be great!!

Thanks!!!

Hi, Mandybear0182. I think you'll be fine alone. What I've noticed on all of my solo trips is that there are so many people who've temporarily seperated from the rest of their party that no one thinks you're really alone. In resturaunts, people think you're holding a spot for others, the rest of your party went back to the hotel to take a nap, or something. However, I have a son who'll be almost 21 in December-Mom's often still worry! You will be OK, just don't tell Matt I said that-we mothers have a reputation to uphold! If you're there between 12/6 and 12/12, maybe we'll see each other-that's when I go solo.

you will have fun - if someone gets out of line - tell him to back off - if you say it loud enough a security guard will make sure that he does.... that is in the parks - now PI - make sure that the people you are drinking with know that you are not interested and you should be fine. I think I would pick to drink at the resort lounge I am staying at - or BW clubs.

now if you don't drink -then WDW can be alot of fun solo - the CM's are more likely to speak to you and fun is what you make it!

I've never gone solo (except planning to as well this December) but have been solo in the parks for a bit (2/3 hours at a time). I talked to others while in lines and the CMs as well (Space Mountain, if alone they may push you to the front as a fill in a few people ahead of where you were standing, saves another 5 minutes) Use your common sense, stick to areas your familiar with and check in with someone in your family on a daily basis if just for a 2 minute phone call to say your having so much fun. You'll have fun and it may change your perspective for all future trups there.

MandyBear0182

I really enjoyed going solo to WDW. Went every where I wanted to go, when I wanted to go, and sometimes just did the same thing over and over.

One of the safety measures I took was to pre-arrange to call someone every evening. The people knew the schedule, and knew if I had not contacted them by a certain time to call the room (the next morning) and if no answer to contact the desk and have someone come to check on me.

It was actually fun to call someone to talk about the day and the adventures! I felt very safe on site and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Now MVMCP is a lot fun. I didn't do it solo but have done E-night solo and loved it! Most of the park is open for the party, so you should feel safe -- like someone said just use your common sense. Some one said, just because your on vacation - doesn't mean you turn you brain off! Be alert, and have a great time!

Have a great trip! December is such a cool time to go to the World

You have nothing to worry about, MandyBear0182! I'm 22, and have been traveling to WDW solo at least once a year for the last 3.5 years. Just like you said, you can do what you want, when you want to do it, and don't have to worry about having to keep track of another family member.

When you travel solo, you get to do a lot of things you wouldn't normally do when you're with other people. Take time to notice the small things. Spend some time talking with CM's. If you like a certain show/ride/attraction, see it a few times. Most importantly, enjoy yourself!! Going to WDW solo is definately worth it.

Thanks for all the replies!!! I think I've decided to go for it! I'll be there 12/14-12/20. My aunt and uncle who live in Florida could possibly be spending some time with me on my trip -- maybe have dinner with me one night or just spend a day with me or something.

Oh, I'm so excited!! Lots of planning to do!

Thanks so much!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Mandy, all of my trips are solo. I always feel quite safe in WDW. I'm much older than you are though--I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not.

I think you will enjoy touring the parks solo, I sure do, it's a very relaxing way to tour, no pressure :)

If you don't have to ride "with" someone to have fun, then you should enjoy MVMCP solo too.

First, let me say WELCOME to the boards. This is a great place to ask questions about solo trips, as well as the other boards being packed with questions and answers.

Next, having done several solo trips (with another coming up this year), I can honestly say that you'll have a blast doing the World solo. You have so much freedom! You get to do what you want, when you want. You can dine where you want to, when you feel like it. You can ride an attraction 5 times in a row if you want (I did this on my first day at EPCOT. Rode in the single's line at Test Track 5 times in a row)! You are not being selfish, so don't give that another thought.

Plan to stay on-property. You have WDW transportation to everything Disney, so you'll really not need a rental car (I never get one when I go solo). Mears transportation is inexpensive and not too bad. I would suggest contacting CRO and putting in a request to be close to the main building at whatever resort you are at. This makes the walk from the bus/monorail/boat a much quicker one.

Of all the times I've been solo, I have never once felt unsafe at WDW. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Make sure to double lock your door, even if you are only going to be in it a very short time, at all times. Never answer to the door to anyone you don't know. If they claim they work for Disney ask them their name and the purpose of their visit, then call the front desk to verify why they are they. Better safe than sorry. If your room has a balcony or patio, make sure that the sliding door is securely locked. Never leave valuables out in your room. Make sure you lock them in the in-room safe.

I make up my Mousekeeping envelopes before I leave home, as well as envelopes with daily spending money for snacks and such. When I check in, I lock these in the safe with my license, airline ticket and credit card. Don't take alot of cash or credit cards with you. There are ATM's all over the place if you need quick cash. I usually put my meals on my room key, which serves as a charge card. At the end of your trip, you can either have everything put on a credit card or pay with cash. Each morning I'd take out a Mousekeeping & spending envelope for that day and leave everything else locked up.

Since you are heading down in December, I would recommend bringing a sweatshirt, long pants, a hat & gloves. When I went last year it was down right chilly some mornings and evenings. Having to run out and buy all of these in the parks or resorts can get quite expensive. Better safe than sorry.

I may be the minority here, but I did MVMCP once a few years ago and it was cute, but not worth the money I thought. I would STRONGLY recomend doing the Candlelight Processional instead. I saw this for the first time on my last trip and it was INCREDIBLE!!!! I would definitely recommend the dinner package, as this included dinner and special seating at the CP. I had dinner at the Rose & Crown (got a patio table that overlooked World Showcase -- Beautiful), then headed over to the CP. The speaker was to originally be Roy Disney, but he had to cancel and Edward James Almos replaced him and did an fantastic job. Dinner was great and the whole package was completely worth every penny.

The fireworks for MVMCP are a must to see, since they are shot off in the round. I would recommend dinner at O'Hana's about 7pm (make a PS as soon as the 120 day window comes up on one of the nights of the party, since this is a popular place to dine). Relax and enjoy your dinner (food is great), then head out to the Polynesian's main beach and grab a seat in one of the hammocks or lounge chairs and enjoy. The Electrical Water Parade is shown in front of the Polynesian's beach at 9pm nightly. Shortly afterwards they shoot off the Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks, then the party one's. You can faintly hear the music to both fireworks. This is a great vantage point to view these since the beach is directly across from the Magic Kingdom and you can see the Castle, Space Mountain and hear the railroad train. I did this on my last trip and did not feel like I missed anything.

Make sure to take some time to view the resorts at the MK & EPCOT (and the AKL) for their holiday decorations and gingerbread displays. These are really amazing to see how creative they can get. I took some pics of the display at the GF & BC, and video of the AKL, YC & BW. The decorations in the resorts are just breathtaking and themed to that resort. What I did was take a break in the afternoon on a MK day to tour the Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge (very little to look at at the Contemporary), then on an EPCOT day to tour the Beach Club, Yacht Club and Boardwalk. Their gingerbread displays were absolutely amazing!!! All of the parks are decked to the hilt with decorations and there is holiday music playing in the background everywhere.

Drop me an e-mail and I can send you some tips that I've learned on my trips.

Sounds like you will have a wonderful trip MandyBear!

You will be able to go at your own pace and linger wherever you like! Rest when you like, swim when you like, eat when you like...sounds like heaven!

I've always traveled with my family and for my upcoming trip, I'm going with a friend instead.....should be interesting!

As far as safety...just use the same precautions you would for any other place and if you ever feel uncomfortable, find security or a CM or a nice family and make them aware of the problem.

Enjoy your trip! I'm envious! :D

Mandybear,

You will enjoy your trip so much. Like you and everyone else has said, "You can do what you, want when you want." I can't really add much else except to enjoy the little things...something you don't often get to do when you are with other people. I actually envy you, getting to plan a solo trip to WDW for the first time...how exciting! :bounce: Enjoy youself and don't forget to wear a limegreen ribbon. This is a way for Dis members to identify themselves.

steven

Just thought of something. Not sure if you've heard this already, but during the parade in the MK, the lines for the rides are a lot smaller. I would assume this goes for other parks and parades as well. The last time I was there I was for 8 days, and I took advantage of this. I watched the parade in the MK from Frontierland and as soon as it passed me I shot off to the Pirates of the Caribbean (my favorite ride at the MK), and the line was real small. The parade startes beside Splash Mountain and the crowds are spread out all along the parade route. So when it finishes where you are, you can jet off to a ride and get inline before it gets long.

Steven

Mandybear,
I am sure that you will have a wonderful time ! This Dec 5- 11
I will be at WDW, my 9th visit, however it will be my 5th SOLO.

My advice would be to enjoy everything you can, but stay on Disney property, and use all Disney transportation.

It is all perfectly safe. I call my Husband every evening before I go to bed. It is so wonderful to do anything you want, any time you want.

I attended MVMCP 4 years in a row, all solo. Only one time I felt just a tiny bit lonely. Then, just at the right time, I bumped into some fellow DIS'ers, who saw that I was wearing green ribbons, and I made some new friends. We went our seperate ways after an hour, but I didn't feel at all lonely anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter