Very disappointed in carthay

I am VERY surprised how those still traveling to Disney during Covid, are surprised but also "accepting" of the loss of quality they have been receiving. Besides the limited amenities and entertainment, there is also a loss of restaurant selections and qualities. However, many still pay premium prices for limited services. Then in turn, voice their dissatisfaction with a tone of shock and surprise. It has to be something in the water or the air in the Disney bubble. If the destination wasn't Disney, then there would be numerous requests for refunds. It's not just on this thread. I have read numerous comments of dissatisfaction throughout the forum since CoVid. It's pretty sad when Disney can dress up something and convince some that it is more than adequate. I really do not understand it. I guess I am not as enamored and which maybe what is required in order to justify it.
I don't think I fully understand your point. "loss of quality they have been receiving".... "paying premium prices" Except for parking, there is no "premium price" to go thru DTD and BVS. Entertainment? There is none (well, except of our own making, but won't go there...) but we also aren't paying. Limited restaurants? Yes, there are limited restaurants and selections. But you can choose what to pay for. As for Carthay, I love the lounge. I liked the restaurant. The prices and food are what they were a year ago, with maybe a little more selection. I think if people were used to the restaurant and were expecting the lounge to be the same, they could be disappointed.

And DTD has several restaurants open, but most have an abbreviated menu. Love UVA, but wish they'd have a little more variety.

I'm curious if you are confusing this with WDW?

My BFF and I were there right before dining shut down in December. And, yes - portion size was disappointing for the amount of money they were charging. I had the ceviche - I forget what my friend had - and it was TINY. I think I paid more for an itty-bitty ceviche than we pay at LL for the lobster nachos. The drink was tasty, but, again - EXPENSIVE! (That said, we have figured out the recipe for that and are now making them at home).

I am going to guess a Tequila Daisy. I had a Pisco sour and a Ginger Rogers. My daughter had the Daisy, a Sparkling Mare, something else, and a Chip Shot.
This is the Ginger Rogers

Chip Shot

Sparkling Mare

We've eaten at Carthay a number of times over the years. I always want to like it more than I do. The last time we ate there (pre-pandemic) was very disappointing--upstairs where we paid a ton for mediocre food. I was hoping the lounge would be an option, but maybe I'll stick to drinks!

EC9C2BF8-009D-40C6-B2C9-54D9950C0CAA.jpeg
My pictures are always the wrong way, but this was a good portion of our spread back in November (right after Thanksgiving) - we also got some desserts, the cheese tray, and a few more drinks. Everything was delicious, but we certainly don’t go to Carthay in any iteration expecting a high bang for our buck, necessarily. I suppose “value” depends on what you... well... value. 🤷‍♀️

We have another reservation for March 4. I hope that regardless of the perceived value, people are generous in their support of the servers. We will continue to mask up every time a server approaches and tip extravagantly - because they absolutely deserve both of those things during these extremely unusual times.

I just want to thank you for your candid review. Saying anything the least bit negative about anything Disney can cause some here to take it personally and go on the attack.
I salute your honesty.

Scott

We've eaten at Carthay a number of times over the years. I always want to like it more than I do. The last time we ate there (pre-pandemic) was very disappointing--upstairs where we paid a ton for mediocre food. I was hoping the lounge would be an option, but maybe I'll stick to drinks!
Totally get it. Everyone loves the Grand! I prefer DLH. But I kept trying the Grand, thinking "This time I'll fall in love with it!" til my daughter said "It isn't what we like!" And I quit trying to like the Grand. Honestly, I really don't care for Carthay Restaurant, but I do like the lounge. I know people who think the full restaurant is the best. Some people fawn over Napa Rose, we prefer Steakhouse 55. We just have different tastes. Some people love Smoke Jumpers, I don't get it, really don't like it. But different people have different likes. Luckily there is a large variety of restaurants to choose from.

I don't think I fully understand your point. "loss of quality they have been receiving".... "paying premium prices" Except for parking, there is no "premium price" to go thru DTD and BVS. Entertainment? There is none (well, except of our own making, but won't go there...) but we also aren't paying. Limited restaurants? Yes, there are limited restaurants and selections. But you can choose what to pay for. As for Carthay, I love the lounge. I liked the restaurant. The prices and food are what they were a year ago, with maybe a little more selection. I think if people were used to the restaurant and were expecting the lounge to be the same, they could be disappointed.

And DTD has several restaurants open, but most have an abbreviated menu. Love UVA, but wish they'd have a little more variety.

I'm curious if you are confusing this with WDW?

I am referring to DISNEY as a whole. Whether it be WDL, WDW, or DTD etc. Disney has RESTRICTIONS due to Covid like any other entertainment facility. Disney may be a lot of things but I guarantee you it is NOT EXEMPT from Covid protocol no matter what people "engulfed and surrounded by the magic" may want to think. Many things that give the TOTAL EXPERIENCE has been either downsized or eliminated. Sure they are slowly returning now, but it wasn't always the case just a few months ago. Restaurants had gone from quick service dining to complete "take out". Some table service restaurants reopened as a different venue (ex: went from Buffet to Family Style). No more characters interactions, parades, fireworks as days gone by.

Now granted DTD may not offer all amenities, but being in the DISNEY bubble does account for some degree of expectations. Quality, quantity, convenience, price and service are part of expectations. When people voice their opinions of dissatisfaction, it causes some of us to wonder what did they expect to happen? Did they think Disney would be exempt from being affected by Covid and still offer the same amenities and experiences? Disney cannot meet the same level of service as before. Yet, their prices and fees have not been discounted even though their services have. Same prices, less magic!!!! Even you speak of things not being the same.

Also I am fully aware that I can choose what I want to pay for. That statement didn't fly under the radar as you may want to think it did.....

Totally get it. Everyone loves the Grand! I prefer DLH. But I kept trying the Grand, thinking "This time I'll fall in love with it!" til my daughter said "It isn't what we like!" And I quit trying to like the Grand. Honestly, I really don't care for Carthay Restaurant, but I do like the lounge. I know people who think the full restaurant is the best. Some people fawn over Napa Rose, we prefer Steakhouse 55. We just have different tastes. Some people love Smoke Jumpers, I don't get it, really don't like it. But different people have different likes. Luckily there is a large variety of restaurants to choose from.
Totally agree and a great reminder! Different strokes :)

The Grand is our preferred lodgings but the rooms just keep getting smaller and smaller..... The DLH has a much better size and the pools/cabanas are way better. I will say that before 21 Royal, Napa Chef's counter is one of the best meals I've ever had. I love SH55 as well and IMHO, its the best meal on property for the price. I have yet to experience the pool bar at the Grand as I haven't been back since it opened, but hopefully this next stay we'll do both DLH/GCH split stay and experience both in one trip.

We definitely prefer the lounge at Carthay. Those Wagyu sliders are a must

DSC_7960%20(Large).jpg

A Carthay Manhattan always hits the spot.

DSC_7973%20(Large).jpg

I'm indifferent on the brussel sprouts. I normally prefer mine carmelized with a whisky glaze.

DSC_7980%20(Large).jpg

LOVE LOVE LOVE the ambiance of the lounge.

DSC_7991%20(Large).jpg

Also I am fully aware that I can choose what I want to pay for. That statement didn't fly under the radar as you may want to think it did.....
Not sure what you thought I was implying, but I simply meant there are plenty of options and we can choose what we want. No hidden message/thought/implication.

This is the drink my friend and I had, and we have figured out the proportions and successfully made it at home!
I found a recipe online that is supposed to closely replicate the Carthay version. It uses 1oz. St. Germain Elderflower Liquor, 1oz. Aperol Orange Apertif, and 6oz. Sparkling Wine or Champagne (Iron Horse). Is this similar to yours?

I found a recipe online that is supposed to closely replicate the Carthay version. It uses 1oz. St. Germain Elderflower Liquor, 1oz. Aperol Orange Apertif, and 6oz. Sparkling Wine or Champagne (Iron Horse). Is this similar to yours?
My daughter does it similarly, but uses Cupcake Presecco and I think I like it better that Carthays!

I don't mind paying inflated prices. Pre covid I still thought carthay was a good deal, but right now they are basically charging the same prices but for even smaller portions. If you are going to serve tapas style plates, then charge tapas prices

I don't mind paying inflated prices. Pre covid I still thought carthay was a good deal, but right now they are basically charging the same prices but for even smaller portions. If you are going to serve tapas style plates, then charge tapas prices
The prices and products we were served last week were the same as they were pre-covid. We love the twice cooked tacos, we get them every trip, we get the duck empanadas, and we always get a cheese board. They were all the same price and size as before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter