Very disappointed in carthay

xWilliam

Mouseketeer
Let me preface this by saying, this has nothing to do with the cast members. I'm a socal local and have been to carthay numerous times and know how expensive it normally is.

I just went today, and the portions were laughably small. Basically the entree portions were more like appetizers. If that's the case then call them appetizers. I paid $26 for an entree I could finish in 4 bites. I don't mind paying more, and have paid more for fine dining, but this just didn't feel close.

I don't want to sound to entitled, and I was just happy to be back in the parks, but everyone in our group was a little disappointed, so I don't think it was just me

I'm not going to hold it against them, but I probably won't bother going again until they completely open up

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying, this has nothing to do with the cast members. I'm a socal local and have been to carthay numerous times and know how expensive it normally is.

I just went today, and the portions were laughably small. Basically the entree portions were more like appetizers. If that's the case then call them appetizers. I paid $26 for an entree I could finish in 4 bites. I don't mind paying more, and have paid more for fine dining, but this just didn't feel close.

I don't want to sound to entitled, and I was just happy to be back in the parks, but everyone in our group was a little disappointed, so I don't think it was just me

I'm not going to hold it against them, but I probably won't bother going again until they completely open up
Do you mind sharing what you ordered, and what other people in your party ordered? And how you felt about those items, other than the portion size? Would be interested to hear and could be helpful for future visits.

I agree. Value isn’t the best right now. I’ve had the pasta and chicken tortilla soup. They were good but such tiny portions. I’ve eaten in their upstairs restaurant during normal times and the portions are larger.

We went last weekend. We had what we call sharable plates. We had tacos (same size, same price as before), the Winter Pear Salad, which I thought was good sized. The meatballs and duck empanadas were the same size/price as they were a year ago. As for "entree", I don't really remember seeing anything listed that way, but thinking the salmon might have been. My daughter had it and liked it, and while the salmon size was fine, it probably should have had some sort of side with it like veggies or something. The cheeseboard was very good, but my daughter prefers the fruit crisps they previously used to the water crackers they are using now. And the Apple Pie Sundae was wonderful. And it was great to have a decent drink my daughter didn't have to make.

And we need to remember, they are using the downstairs kitchen which is more limited than the upstairs kitchen.

We went last weekend. We had what we call sharable plates. We had tacos (same size, same price as before), the Winter Pear Salad, which I thought was good sized. The meatballs and duck empanadas were the same size/price as they were a year ago. As for "entree", I don't really remember seeing anything listed that way, but thinking the salmon might have been. My daughter had it and liked it, and while the salmon size was fine, it probably should have had some sort of side with it like veggies or something. The cheeseboard was very good, but my daughter prefers the fruit crisps they previously used to the water crackers they are using now. And the Apple Pie Sundae was wonderful. And it was great to have a decent drink my daughter didn't have to make.

And we need to remember, they are using the downstairs kitchen which is more limited than the upstairs kitchen.
Agree with this. We've eaten here several times since they reopened (last year and this year). The servers make sure to clarify that these are small plates which can be shared, but are not entree sized. The duck empanadas and pear salad are very shareable for us. And we usually share the salmon or special fish. The chocolate sundae was fun, too. And the service has been great. One of our servers from a week ago even remembered us from last December right before they shut down. We don't dine at CCL to fill up -- we can eat in DTD for that -- but to have a relaxing experience in a favorite location with very good service.

I'll never forget the first time I went to a tapas-style restaurant and the server explained they are small plates that are meant to be shared.

And I was like... "But if it's small, wouldn't that mean I wouldn't want to share?"

Server: ...............

Everyone at the table: ...............

Server: "What can I get you started with?"

I've found the lounge food to be very good and appropriately priced for what you get. I wish they still had the firecracker duck wings though. If the entres were Napa quality, they might be worth the price. Odd since Sutton is over both.

Yeah, we had a bad experience back in the before-times. Took forever. Staff literally forgot about us. Food arrived room temperature. Thanks but no thanks. We'll stick with Wine Country Trattoria--never been disappointed there.

I've found the lounge food to be very good and appropriately priced for what you get. I wish they still had the firecracker duck wings though. If the entres were Napa quality, they might be worth the price. Odd since Sutton is over both.
I also liked the lounge menu in the before times. I wish they still had the flatbreads. That was my lounge go-to.

Yeah, we had a bad experience back in the before-times. Took forever. Staff literally forgot about us. Food arrived room temperature. Thanks but no thanks. We'll stick with Wine Country Trattoria--never been disappointed there.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. We've had pretty positive experiences.

Hopefully when they open for the food festival, the Alfresco dining at WCT will also be able to open.

We don't dine at CCL to fill up -- we can eat in DTD for that -- but to have a relaxing experience in a favorite location with very good service.
Same here. I made the reservation here for Sat early, because I knew we had a 530 reservation at Morton's for what would be a large dinner. I wanted something I knew we liked (TACOS, along with other items) and some drinks. We have favorite drinks. It was nice to see some familiar faces. And as my daughter joked, it was nice to feel civilized again.

We went in December. Drinks were great. But the food was so so. Deserts were very good. We had eaten on the upstairs balcony back in 2017 for our anniversary. We absolutely loved it then. Everything was wonderful. And we will go back again when its fully open. But basically agree that right now you are not really getting the Carthay experience. Its just "ok".

I am VERY surprised how those still traveling to Disney during Covid, are surprised but also "accepting" of the loss of quality they have been receiving. Besides the limited amenities and entertainment, there is also a loss of restaurant selections and qualities. However, many still pay premium prices for limited services. Then in turn, voice their dissatisfaction with a tone of shock and surprise. It has to be something in the water or the air in the Disney bubble. If the destination wasn't Disney, then there would be numerous requests for refunds. It's not just on this thread. I have read numerous comments of dissatisfaction throughout the forum since CoVid. It's pretty sad when Disney can dress up something and convince some that it is more than adequate. I really do not understand it. I guess I am not as enamored and which maybe what is required in order to justify it.

Oh, wasn't it though? That is very well put -- it was very, very "nice to feel civilized again." :)
It was funny because that same night, we had dinner at Morton's. The food was excellent, drinks even better. As she was sipping on her Central Park West (I think that was the one) she commented "Food is so good, this drink is incredible, but I am still drinking in a parking lot...."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter