Verandah's large enough to sleep on?

Angeliki19

DIS Veteran
Hi! We are getting ready to book our first Disney Cruise EVER! :boat: We have shied away from it in the past because to be honest, DH is a terrible snorer and nobody can stand to sleep with him on vacation. :confused3 When we travel, we usually try to book suites or something with a separate sleeping area for him so he doesn't keep me and the kids up. However, DCL is a whole new level of expense, and we can't afford a concierge level suite, so we are just going to try it for 4 nights in a verandah room and hope it goes well. He has brought up the idea that he would be willing to sleep on the verandah, as he is the type of person who can sleep anywhere and actually he seems excited to sleep with the sounds of the ocean. But I wasn't sure if this was feasible/allowed/dangerous, etc? Is this a crazy idea?

If anyone else has tried this, do you have any recommendations on room category? We don't really care about view. I have seen some rooms that come with lounge chairs so that would be perfect. Or we can bring a blow-up twin mattress.

TIA! It feels good to be back on the boards after our Nov WDW trip ended. :) :disrocks:

Disclaimer: no idea if it is allowed.

However, look into rooms with an extended balcony if this is your plan (or to just have some extra space!). 5E or 4E would be good to look into.

Have you checked the price of two inside rooms? They are often cheaper (for 2) than one balcony room.

Be reminded that there can be ocean spray on the balconies...as well as rain, wind, etc. So if a balcony is your only way to get sleep...it may not be your best bet.

Agree with above, there might be legal problems for DCL if you slept outside. The bed inside is bolted down, on a verandah, not so much. Also agree about the weather, spray, etc. I am sure you have tried ear plugs and white noise. The suggestion that two inside staterooms would work is worth researching. I would suggest one of the lifeboats, where our granddaughter wanted to hide out when we ended our first cruise with her, but that presents other DCL issues. Good luck!

Sleep where ya want. In a lounge, in the atrium, out on deck. Nothing saying you have to sleep in your bed.
That being said, I echo @IceSkatingPrincess, a 5e room on the Dream and Fantasy will give you the most space on a balcony, especially covered space! The chairs are also more lounger style than a full upright chair.

I use ear plugs in order to sleep through my wife's snoring. DCL will even provide them for you. Sleeping on the veranda is frowned upon and there is no provision for this provided as in mattress and such. The normal veranda has only a table and chairs. No lounger.

Only a few of the extended balconies have room for a lounger and even that would not be particularly comfortable. You definitely would not want to sleep on the floor of the verandah.

Hmmm... makes you wonder if anyone has tried sleeping on deck in a lounge chair?

If you have your heart set on a verandah and have the extra cash, you could book an inside across the hall where he could sleep. Book one of the kids with him and it will lessen the cost, I should think, since you won't have the extra cost of a 3rd and 4th in the verandah room. But make sure you can still sleep at least 3 (how many kids, btw?) in your room or you might get stuck sharing your bed with one of the young 'uns.

If you fall asleep on deck in a lounger or in any of the rooms the cleaning crew will wake you up when they come in to maintain the room. You really aren't suppose to sleep overnight in the common areas.
Also while you may not get caught with someone sleeping out on the veranda I don't believe it is allowed. It would be up to you to decide what you are comfortable with. I just sleep with ear plugs but perhaps price out 2 inside rooms?

on the classic ships - there are the "Navigator Verandas" which are enclosed except for the open air porthole to the outside (with a door between your stateroom and veranda.

People smoking on Veranda's causes some grief here on the boards - what will the snoring do to the neighbors?

And on a more serious note - the ship is constantly being cleaned. On port days, there are people pressure washing the ship - would not want to be woken up that way!!

Hmmm... makes you wonder if anyone has tried sleeping on deck in a lounge chair?

If you have your heart set on a verandah and have the extra cash, you could book an inside across the hall where he could sleep. Book one of the kids with him and it will lessen the cost, I should think, since you won't have the extra cost of a 3rd and 4th in the verandah room. But make sure you can still sleep at least 3 (how many kids, btw?) in your room or you might get stuck sharing your bed with one of the young 'uns.

Thanks all- we have 2 kids (6 and 8.) I think we would try to all sleep together, but the verandah idea was really a last resort. Earplugs don't block the noise unfortunately.. its a bad combo of him being a terrible snorer and me being the lightest sleeper in the world. I am willing to just suck it up for 4 days, but it also bothers the kids and keeps them up sometimes.

I have heard people say to price out 2 inside rooms, but from what I have seen its not even close to being less money than a single verandah room. Am I missing something?

Hi! We are getting ready to book our first Disney Cruise EVER! :boat: We have shied away from it in the past because to be honest, DH is a terrible snorer and nobody can stand to sleep with him on vacation. :confused3 When we travel, we usually try to book suites or something with a separate sleeping area for him so he doesn't keep me and the kids up. However, DCL is a whole new level of expense, and we can't afford a concierge level suite, so we are just going to try it for 4 nights in a verandah room and hope it goes well. He has brought up the idea that he would be willing to sleep on the verandah, as he is the type of person who can sleep anywhere and actually he seems excited to sleep with the sounds of the ocean. But I wasn't sure if this was feasible/allowed/dangerous, etc? Is this a crazy idea?

If anyone else has tried this, do you have any recommendations on room category? We don't really care about view. I have seen some rooms that come with lounge chairs so that would be perfect. Or we can bring a blow-up twin mattress.

TIA! It feels good to be back on the boards after our Nov WDW trip ended. :) :disrocks:
Has your DH been checked for sleep apnea? A sleep apnea machine would stop the snoring.

I have heard people say to price out 2 inside rooms, but from what I have seen its not even close to being less money than a single verandah room. Am I missing something?

The one situation where two inside rooms may work out cheaper than one verandah room is if you have 5 people in a stateroom and need the "family" staterooms which sleep 5. There aren't as many that sleep 5 and prices can go up quickly on those, which creates the possibility that 2 inside rooms could be cheaper. But there's only 4 of you so you are comparing a regular verandah stateroom to 2 inside rooms and you are correct that there's very little chance that it would work out to be less expensive that way. 2 inside staterooms would be less expensive than a 1 bedroom concierge room, but that really isn't on your radar.

You could look into the extended verandah rooms mentioned, but I don't think your husband will find sleeping on the verandah to be very comfortable. It might be beneficial for your DH to be tested for sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. That might allow him to sleep better year round as well as you and your kids to have a more restful vacation.

Thanks all- we have 2 kids (6 and 8.) I think we would try to all sleep together, but the verandah idea was really a last resort. Earplugs don't block the noise unfortunately.. its a bad combo of him being a terrible snorer and me being the lightest sleeper in the world. I am willing to just suck it up for 4 days, but it also bothers the kids and keeps them up sometimes.

On the 2 inside rooms, make sure you only have each room for 2 people.
Also, we invested in a white noise machine that we travel with, and I have a white noise app on my tablet. As a light sleeper, this has saved me so many times when traveling. It took a little while to get used to, but was VRY worth it.

I'm also a very light sleeper with a dh who's snoring keeps me up at night. My dd sleeps with a white noise sound machine at home so we bring it along with us on the cruises and I wear earplugs. I can still hear dh, but for some reason I can sleep really well on the ship, better than I do at home. I think 2 inside rooms would be the best, but if you can't do that how about this: You sleep in the bed, kids on the couch and bunk bed, and then since you said you had a blow up twin mattress, you could put it on the floor between the closets and bathrooms. I don't know how wide the mattress is or the hall between the closets and bathrooms, but it COULD work, it would be safer than him sleeping outside. He would have to get up though if anyone needed to use the bathroom during the night. At least it would give you a little bit of room between him and the rest of you. Good luck, hope you all can find a solution.

Earplugs don't block the noise unfortunately.. its a bad combo of him being a terrible snorer and me being the lightest sleeper in the world. I am willing to just suck it up for 4 days, but it also bothers the kids and keeps them up sometimes.

IF he hasn't been already, please urge him to do a sleep study for apnea. DH was sleeping totally separate from us for 3 years when his doctor FINALLY suggested a sleep study (my mentions of it went unheeded). He was waking up nearly every minute of the night, and was stopping breathing regularly, and snoring terribly when he was breathing. His CPAP absolutely saved his life, and he was able to rejoin the family bed (not that we have an all-family bed now...this was a couple years ago at this point, for anyone looking at my son's age, LOL...we went a long time, but we're not THAT odd).

I'm also a very light sleeper with a dh who's snoring keeps me up at night. My dd sleeps with a white noise sound machine at home so we bring it along with us on the cruises and I wear earplugs. I can still hear dh, but for some reason I can sleep really well on the ship, better than I do at home. I think 2 inside rooms would be the best, but if you can't do that how about this: You sleep in the bed, kids on the couch and bunk bed, and then since you said you had a blow up twin mattress, you could put it on the floor between the closets and bathrooms. I don't know how wide the mattress is or the hall between the closets and bathrooms, but it COULD work, it would be safer than him sleeping outside. He would have to get up though if anyone needed to use the bathroom during the night. At least it would give you a little bit of room between him and the rest of you. Good luck, hope you all can find a solution.
In reality, sleeping in the small hallway between the bathroom/closets won't really solve the problem, if they can't sleep in the same room due to the noise. The rooms are not that large.

I would also suggest looking in to 2 rooms. Either connecting or adjoining. Even a verandah and an inside.

IF he hasn't been already, please urge him to do a sleep study for apnea. DH was sleeping totally separate from us for 3 years when his doctor FINALLY suggested a sleep study (my mentions of it went unheeded). He was waking up nearly every minute of the night, and was stopping breathing regularly, and snoring terribly when he was breathing. His CPAP absolutely saved his life, and he was able to rejoin the family bed (not that we have an all-family bed now...this was a couple years ago at this point, for anyone looking at my son's age, LOL...we went a long time, but we're not THAT odd).

What is it with men and refusing the study. A certain someone I know gets so mad when I suggest it as just a hey why not rule it out and make me feel better thing. I'm not the only one who has said it and he refuses. It is so frustrating especially know a good friend who lost his dad to my complications of untreated sleep apnea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter