Venting : store check out etiquette

I never have this problem at the grocery store, but I have had space issues standing in other lines. I like to do the pregnant stance with the elbows out and feet apart and swing around a few times... Works like a charm!!

I'm big on personal space and very aware of it. Most people are too. Once in a while I have the same issue as OP. Usually when I walk back to slide my card they realize and back up.

My favorites are the ones who take their stuff out of the cart, check out, then try to walk out and leave the cart in the line behind them. I usually "remind" them they forgot something.

I had a women at a food court in WDW push up so close to me while we were waiting in long line to check out that her tray was actually pressed into my backside :scared1: I moved a step or 2 forward every chance I could but she would move up just as much and the tray would again be in contact. I have never ever wanted to be able to pass gas on cue until then-- but alas, not one of my talents. . .

It was our last morning there, I was tired and grumpy and I finally turned to her and said " I keep trying to get away from you but you keep insisting on putting your tray in my butt. Stop it!" (or something similar) That is very unlike me, I don't like confrontation and am usually pretty easy going. She was truly offended! Offended by what???? Seriously, her milk container and plate were on the edge of the tray and were touching me! WHY would you want your chocolate milk and danish after they have been in contact with my badonkadonk??? :crazy2:

To this day I really wish I had been able to "toot" at will. :rolleyes1

Yeah, Publix is in a class all by itself. It is wonderful. They also insist on taking your groceries out to your car. They also have a covered area, and when it rains the baggers will wait under roof with your items and your child, until you go and get your car. Most are teen boys from around the neighborhood, so you can trust them watching your kid. They are wonderful.

Publix is great, and it's second only to Wegmans, which I like even better.

At Wegmans it works the same way - you stand behind your cart which is parallell to the checker, and he or she scans and bags and then loads the bags into your cart.

They also have "Helping Hands" who will bring your groceries to your car for you. Also, they have umbrellas for use when it rains, which you leave in the corral in your cart after you've loaded your car.

At Wegmans it works the same way - you stand behind your cart which is parallell to the checker, and he or she scans and bags and then loads the bags into your cart.

They also have "Helping Hands" who will bring your groceries to your car for you. Also, they have umbrellas for use when it rains, which you leave in the corral in your cart after you've loaded your car.

I have heard of Wegmans, good things. Never been to one though.

Not once, in all my years grocery shopping at a variety of stores, did a cashier put bags in my cart for me. Not once ever. Would be nice thou...not gonna lie. :)

Around here we have baggers. They even bag my groceries and put them into my cart at the self serve lanes for larger orders.

Huge pet peeve of mine and always seems to be the worst at Walmart. I could literally feel the guy behind me breathing on the back of my head last week!:eek:

I shop at Stop & Shop. They have baggers. They prefer it if you push the cart to the end of the cashier laneso they can bag the groceries and then put them directly into the cart.

However, if you choose not to do that, and keep the cart behind you so it is between you and the person behind you in line, they will just put the bagged groceries at the end of converyor belt counter and then put them into the cart when you have paid and moved the cart down.

I have generally turned to someone and politely said "Excuse me, I wonder if you could back up a bit so I have some space". I think most of the time people don't realize they are invading your space....they may be focused on their phone, their kid, their shopping list or the latest issue of the National Enquirer. ;)

That is why I have the cart in behind me. It is a space blocker.;)

This works for me too. And...IMHO - my DH is a shopping line -creeper-upper- so If I am in front of the cart, then he can't "creep" into the space of the people in front of us.

I grocery shop at Wal-Mart. The clerk puts the groceries in plastic bags on a turntable. It only holds 6 bags. It takes many more then 6 plastic bags of groceries every week for a family of 5. So while she's bagging, I have to take the bags off the hooks and put them in my cart or everything backs up. I guess I could just wait and she'd do it. Without fail though, every time I step to the side to take a bag off the carousel and put it in the cart, the person behind me moves up to the payment spot. Maybe I should just let them pay next time. ;)

I pay before I start putting them in my cart. That way I am done and I can just put the bags in my cart.

goofyintoronto said:
They dont hand the bags to you. Not sure the kind of grocery stores you have but every single store/cashier around here have the bags placed on the end of the belt counter. You grab them yourself. Nobody hands bags over to you...ever. Also, most of the stores I go to are a self-bag store. You bag it yourself by using a cloth bag...or you can get a box that is available to you for free. Plastic bags cost 5 cents.

I also put the cart behind me....once I place all my groceries on the belt, I move my cart up and start putting the bags in my cart while the cashier is ringing up the groceries.

This is exactly what I do too. The cart is behind me until the cashier starts bagging my things giving me a one cart length buffer zone. Then once my things are getting bagged I go to the end and start loading my cart. If someone has entered the pay zone by the time the cashier is ready for me to pay I get excited and ask the person "ooh, are you paying?". Every time this has happened the person has laughed and backed up.

Yeah, Publix is in a class all by itself. It is wonderful. They also insist on taking your groceries out to your car. They also have a covered area, and when it rains the baggers will wait under roof with your items and your child, until you go and get your car. Most are teen boys from around the neighborhood, so you can trust them watching your kid. They are wonderful.

Hmmmm, the few times I've been in a Publix in Florida this never happened to me. Then again, maybe they could tell that I didn't WANT them to do this. If they "insisted," I'd probably refuse.

What, they make YOU walk out in the rain to get your car???!!! Jeez, I'd think that they'd bring your cart out to your car, load the groceries, then drive your car to the covered area so you don't get wet. ;);)

I've been in a few Wegmans as well and don't remember this either. Do you mean a separate bagger puts your groceries in the cart for you? Or does the cashier scan, bag, and load? If the latter, does she walk around the counter to load after each bag, or wait until the entire order is scanned and bagged?

And Wegmans expects people to actually bring their carts back to the corral??!!:stir: AFTER a Helping Hand loads the car?? Wegmans shoppers seem to be the biggest offenders when it comes to NOT returning carts to the corral, at least at this one I've been to a few times. (Cherry Hill, NJ).

I like Wegmans and Publix on the rare occasions I go there, but I'd rather bag, load, carry, and unload my own groceries. I miss Pathmark's "bag your own" register.

Jim

All of the supermarkets around here (Stop & Shop, Market Basket, Price Chopper, Shaws, Hanafords) bag the groceries and place them in the cart. Sort of expected. Most have self bagging/checking aisles. Stop and Shop even has the little Scan It devices where you scan as you go.

Hmmmm, the few times I've been in a Publix in Florida this never happened to me. Then again, maybe they could tell that I didn't WANT them to do this. If they "insisted," I'd probably refuse.

What, they make YOU walk out in the rain to get your car???!!! Jeez, I'd think that they'd bring your cart out to your car, load the groceries, then drive your car to the covered area so you don't get wet. ;);)

I've been in a few Wegmans as well and don't remember this either. Do you mean a separate bagger puts your groceries in the cart for you? Or does the cashier scan, bag, and load? If the latter, does she walk around the counter to load after each bag, or wait until the entire order is scanned and bagged?

And Wegmans expects people to actually bring their carts back to the corral??!!:stir: AFTER a Helping Hand loads the car?? Wegmans shoppers seem to be the biggest offenders when it comes to NOT returning carts to the corral, at least at this one I've been to a few times. (Cherry Hill, NJ).

I like Wegmans and Publix on the rare occasions I go there, but I'd rather bag, load, carry, and unload my own groceries. I miss Pathmark's "bag your own" register.

Jim

We shop at Wegman's weekly and no one ever takes our groceries to our car except us. I've never seen these Helping Hands or umbrellas. And their bagging method and area suck and take forever.

Jim

The cashier does it all - scans, bags and places the bags in your cart. She doesn't have to walk anywhere, your cart is right next to her with you in back of it. Unlike in other stores, the bagging rack is right there in front of the cashier, so she can scan and bag in almost one motion.

The Helping Hands aren't intrusive, but they are there when you need them. I don't use them. Here (Buffalo) most people are good about returning the carts to the corral.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter