Vegetarians?

Okay, I'll have to try that soy milk!

Yeah, I'm eating healthy right now, so I've bought some natural peanut butter that's so amazing. I'm not a fan of regular PB, but I love this stuff.

So, my mom's being a bit more supportive. She said she almost bought me some morningstar farms veggie burgers the other day, but she didn't know if I'd like them? So we're going shopping tomorrow and I'll pick up a few stables like beans, nuts, etc.

Soy milk is delicious! I love the chocolate one.

Oh gosh, GOOOOOD LUCK. Your much stronger than I am, I could never give up meat!

I have no tips, sorry! But I hope it works out for you:-)

Hey, I'm trying to make the transition to vegetarianism, and I was wondering if there were any others on this board? I know we used to have a vegetarian thread (back when I was ignorant to it, lol).

I'd love some tips. Maybe your favourite foods/food brands?

Hi there! I'm a vegetarian, have been since November 28 2008. My favourite brand would be Odwalla. But I don't like tofu because I don't like the flavor (with out barbaque sauce) or the tecture, I eat lots of peanut butter and protien bars. And one tip is to make sure you get all the nutrients you need cause other wise you get tired and get head aches

and can someone promise to shove a cheesecake down my throat if i start to take dietary advice from a fourteen year old?

lol.. So, no one likes my dietary advice? :sad1:

And BTW, low fat peanut butter is worse than regular peanut butter. The healthiest peanut butter is Smart Balance natural peanut butter.

And BTW, low fat peanut butter is worse than regular peanut butter. The healthiest peanut butter is Smart Balance natural peanut butter.

low fat peanut butter is less natural and has more preservatives, but fewer calories than natural peanut butter, typically.

low fat peanut butter is less natural and has more preservatives, but fewer calories than natural peanut butter, typically.

Haha, I'll use JIF as an example.

Regular peanut butter = 16g fat, 7g carbs, 8g protein = 204 calories
Low-fat peanut butter = 12g fat, 15g carbs, 8g protein = 200 calories

So, a difference of four calories lol.

If you really want to be healthy, you'll opt for natural peanut butter which contains no preservatives at all and doesn't have partially hydrogenated oils [aka trans fat]. Smart Balance is 169 calories and they add flax to help balance out the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio. They also add egg whites [which are specially heated to increase bioavailability of the protein and prevent any salmonella risk] which give it a higher protein content than almost any peanut butter. Also, they have 2g more of fiber per serving than most peanut butter.

Oh, I really don't eat meat that much. Maybe for one meal a day, and that's dinner, and my mother forces me to do it.

But today we went to Chili's and I of course ordered the blackbean burger, and she saw how much I loved it, so I think she's becoming more supportive. She was even telling me the restaurants that had strictly vegetarian/vegan meals. :)

I'll make sure to get all my nutrients, Hilary! I love black beans, nuts, cheese, etc. I even think protein shakes are mighty tasty; I'm weird like that.

I hope to one day become vegan, maybe? That's another thread for another time, though!

Only if you promise to do the same for me. :goodvibes

You can buy the patties Chilli's uses. They are by Morningstar Farms http://www.morningstarfarms.com/product_detail.aspx?family=363&id=18531
If you got a veggie burger to cut down on calories be very careful. Ask for an unbuttered burger roll and no dressing or ask for low fat ranch dressing. It adds so many calories and grams on fat.
I don't consider myself a vegetarian just yet, however I don't eat meat.

btw, I've made my own peanut butter before and I thought it was pretty good. The good thing about making your own is you can control the amount of oil in it.

btw, I've made my own peanut butter before and I thought it was pretty good. The good thing about making your own is you can control the amount of oil in it.

You don't even have to add oil. If you use a food processor or just blend it long enough in a blender the natural oils will eventually make it creamy.

How awesome Jenny!
I was a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years then I stopped.
But as of 3 weeks ago I'm back to vegetarianism.
It's a healthy choices, as long as you get all your nutrients (which you seem to have covered)
I have a veggie cookbook with awesome recipes. So if you ever wanted to make something specific I could always send you a recipe or something.
Soy milk is delicious! I love the 'chocolate' one :)
I love love love morning star products, but Boca is good too. They both have websites.
There's tons of veggie info on the web including forums to browse through so I recommend that.
Becoming veggie offers so many opportunities. But also be warned... a lot of people have their opinions of vegetarians, so don't let that get you down.
It's an awesome thing to do, for yourself and for the animals.
Good for you!
You can PM me anytime with questions or anything :)
Good luck!

Maybe your favourite foods/food brands?

BOCA BURGERS. If I wasn't lifting all the time, I'd eat them everyday. Unfortunately can't eat them lol.

Also, investing in some whey protein would be a good idea. It's the easiest way to replace all the essential [and non-essential] proteins you may lack in your lifestyle change. It's great to take post-workout, especially after weight lifting. You can get away with buying the cheap stuff at GNC or Wal-Mart.

BOCA BURGERS. If I wasn't lifting all the time, I'd eat them everyday. Unfortunately can't eat them lol.

Also, investing in some whey protein would be a good idea. It's the easiest way to replace all the essential [and non-essential] proteins you may lack in your lifestyle change. It's great to take post-workout, especially after weight lifting. You can get away with buying the cheap stuff at GNC or Wal-Mart.

Boca stuff is really great. I love the 'chicken' nuggets!

Not when it involves cheesecake. :rolleyes:
You can buy the patties Chilli's uses. They are by Morningstar Farms http://www.morningstarfarms.com/product_detail.aspx?family=363&id=18531
If you got a veggie burger to cut down on calories be very careful. Ask for an unbuttered burger roll and no dressing or ask for low fat ranch dressing. It adds so many calories and grams on fat.
I don't consider myself a vegetarian just yet, however I don't eat meat.

Oh sweet!

No, I didn't order it for that. It was on the low-calorie menu, but I knew it had like 600 calories anyway. I just wanted to see if I would like it, haha. And I do! It was super tasty.
How awesome Jenny!
I was a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years then I stopped.
But as of 3 weeks ago I'm back to vegetarianism.
It's a healthy choices, as long as you get all your nutrients (which you seem to have covered)
I have a veggie cookbook with awesome recipes. So if you ever wanted to make something specific I could always send you a recipe or something.
Soy milk is delicious! I love the 'chocolate' one :)
I love love love morning star products, but Boca is good too. They both have websites.
There's tons of veggie info on the web including forums to browse through so I recommend that.
Becoming veggie offers so many opportunities. But also be warned... a lot of people have their opinions of vegetarians, so don't let that get you down.
It's an awesome thing to do, for yourself and for the animals.
Good for you!
You can PM me anytime with questions or anything :)
Good luck!
Hey, I was waiting for you! Resident DIS vegetarian.

Okay, so, what's ya'lls favourite morningstar farms/boca/otwalla products?

Thank you! I'll try them.

Okay, stupid question. What do I do with the whey protein after I buy it?

Thank you! I'll try them.

Okay, stupid question. What do I do with the whey protein after I buy it?

lol that's up to you. Most people mix it with milk [soy milk for you] or water after a workout. I like to experiment with it. Today I made a brownie with it and Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter. I've used it to make cookies before too. I usually do the brownie thing if I need some more protein and fat in my diet, but not many carbs. But, definitely the most common thing is just drinking it. Comes in basically any flavor, depending on the brand.

lol that's up to you. Most people mix it with milk [soy milk for you] or water after a workout. I like to experiment with it. Today I made a brownie with it and Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter. I've used it to make cookies before too. I usually do the brownie thing if I need some more protein and fat in my diet, but not many carbs. But, definitely the most common thing is just drinking it. Comes in basically any flavor, depending on the brand.

I have 2 questions for you, if you dont mind.
Are you supposed to have a protein drink before or after a workout?
If I do cardio and weigh training which should I do first?

Okay, awesome. So you don't have to have a blender? Because that just happens to be the one kitchen appliance I don't have!
lol that cheesecake is very healthy and delicious. And you have to have some fun every once in a while. I had ice cream and pop-tarts today.:cool2:
Haha, yes. Did I also mention that I had chips and salsa at Chili's? It was totally worth the calories and sodium. That stuff was like heaven.

I have 2 questions for you, if you dont mind.
Are you supposed to have a protein drink before or after a workout?
If I do cardio and weigh training which should I do first?

You need complex carbs before so you can sustain energy through the workout and simple carbs and protein after to help repair your muscles. Simple carbs help increase the rate of protein synthesis.

And doesn't matter. I hardly do cardio anymore lol. If I do, it's usually before as it helps me kind of get warmed up. Some prefer it after, though.

Okay, awesome. So you don't have to have a blender? Because that just happens to be the one kitchen appliance I don't have!

Haha, yes. Did I also mention that I had chips and salsa at Chili's? It was totally worth the calories and sodium. That stuff was like heaven.

lol Chips and salsa are always worth any negative effects. I just realized I use to cheat once a week, but now I don't as I fit "unhealthy" foods into my daily eating. All about moderation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter