Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

My 11 year old son is vegetarian by choice and is generally a healthy eater. Eating out is almost impossible on the best days, though, because he is particular about what he will eat. I think I have read through at least once every single menu for every theme park, resort, and Disney Springs. There is very little available he will eat from the kids menu (often the only offering is a PBJ Uncrustable). There's nothing on any adult menu.

I'm at the point that I want to just pack his lunch (sunflower butter sandwich on whole wheat; beans with pulse, yogurts, veggies, etc) and bring it with us . We are DVC and have a full kitchen. Will I have any issues bringing in a lunch for him? I would be happy to pay for food if they would offer something decent for veg kids.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

My 11 year old son is vegetarian by choice and is generally a healthy eater. Eating out is almost impossible on the best days, though, because he is particular about what he will eat. I think I have read through at least once every single menu for every theme park, resort, and Disney Springs. There is very little available he will eat from the kids menu (often the only offering is a PBJ Uncrustable). There's nothing on any adult menu.

I'm at the point that I want to just pack his lunch (sunflower butter sandwich on whole wheat; beans with pulse, yogurts, veggies, etc) and bring it with us . We are DVC and have a full kitchen. Will I have any issues bringing in a lunch for him? I would be happy to pay for food if they would offer something decent for veg kids.

You can definitely bring in food, no issue there.

What specifically does he normally eat? My 10 year old is vegan and loves the food at Disney, although he's not particularly into "healthy" foods.

When are you going? I think Epcot has a good selection of vegetarian food in their festivals. There were a lot of vegetable dishes at Flower and Garden this year.

In Animal Kingdom, you can get a tofu bowl at Satu'li Canteen, and Kusafari has the most amazing spiced potato hand pies. Have you looked at Tusker House? We loved everything on the plant based menu.

Have you looked at the vegetarian food in Galaxy's Edge? We loved the ronto wraps and Felucian Garden Spread.

Magic Kingdom we usually just get burgers/veggie dogs so not much help there. Maybe check out Pecos Bill?

You can definitely bring in food, no issue there.

What specifically does he normally eat? My 10 year old is vegan and loves the food at Disney, although he's not particularly into "healthy" foods.

When are you going? I think Epcot has a good selection of vegetarian food in their festivals. There were a lot of vegetable dishes at Flower and Garden this year.

In Animal Kingdom, you can get a tofu bowl at Satu'li Canteen, and Kusafari has the most amazing spiced potato hand pies. Have you looked at Tusker House? We loved everything on the plant based menu.

Have you looked at the vegetarian food in Galaxy's Edge? We loved the ronto wraps and Felucian Garden Spread.

Magic Kingdom we usually just get burgers/veggie dogs so not much help there. Maybe check out Pecos Bill?
We are working through a pretty severe picky stage that started last school year. We didn't understand the big change in what he ate. Turns out he was being bullied (physically and words), including about the food he eats. We are in a new school and things are better. We are working through it and hope to get back to where we were, but its been a slow road. We are making everything available to him and giving him opportunities to enjoy his favorites again. But I need a back up plan. And given the yummy goodies at the WDW for the holidays, we need a healthy balance. :-)

We are working through a pretty severe picky stage that started last school year. We didn't understand the big change in what he ate. Turns out he was being bullied (physically and words), including about the food he eats. We are in a new school and things are better. We are working through it and hope to get back to where we were, but its been a slow road. We are making everything available to him and giving him opportunities to enjoy his favorites again. But I need a back up plan. And given the yummy goodies at the WDW for the holidays, we need a healthy balance. :-)
Oh man, so sorry to hear that. Glad it sounds like things are moving in the right direction. I hope you can find foods at Disney he can enjoy!

You can indeed bring food in the park, so that isn't an issue. I will, however, say that if you are at a table service restaurant with any kind of healthy offering (like say Grand Floridian Cafe), you can tell the waiter/waitress your son's likes and see if the kitchen can help. Sometimes I just want a very simple salad, say, and just describe what I'm after. Usually it's no problem.

If your son is super specific right now, it would be easier just to bring it in because even if somewhere has steamed veg, it might not be what he likes, or like with hummus, you get the hummus but he doesn't like what comes with.

You can indeed bring food in the park, so that isn't an issue. I will, however, say that if you are at a table service restaurant with any kind of healthy offering (like say Grand Floridian Cafe), you can tell the waiter/waitress your son's likes and see if the kitchen can help. Sometimes I just want a very simple salad, say, and just describe what I'm after. Usually it's no problem.

If your son is super specific right now, it would be easier just to bring it in because even if somewhere has steamed veg, it might not be what he likes, or like with hummus, you get the hummus but he doesn't like what comes with.
I think that's exactly what we will do. I thought the staff at a sit-down restaurant might not allow it given that he is older.

I think that's exactly what we will do. I thought the staff at a sit-down restaurant might not allow it given that he is older.
Good advice for your son's food choices throughout this thread. Regarding the above quote, he may not be charged for a children's meal if something special is made for him, although since I've never been in this situation, I can't say for sure. But of course they'll try to accommodate anything he might want, assuming they have the ingredients in the kitchen. And the staff to handle it, although I do think the staff shortages at WDW restaurants isn't as bad as it was a few months ago.

I will say that if you are talking about bringing in your own food to a table-service, I've not really seen that done. Sorry, I can't tell if that's what you're referring to. You can bring food into the park, and sit and can also eat it at a quick-serve (esp. if others in the fam are eating from the quick-serve itself). You can also ask if the kitchen can cook certain things, or to cook it a certain way (for anyone, any age). But, I'm not sure about bringing your own food into a table service.

As others have said, you can bring things in without issue.

If you are going for quick service, you're basically stuck with the menu.

If you do table service, look at the menu as a general menu of ingredients. If he will eat X entree once you swap out A for B, they will do things like that. But if he's only into adult items, they may or may not made a child's portion of it. My multiple allergy kid would occasionally run into this. Some days they would do a small portion and charge a $9 kid's meal with free drink, some days my 8 year old had a $30 lunch +$4 soda. But he always ate.

Since the child is 11, if you sit at TS and get a special order, it will always be charged at adult-related prices, since 10 and up is the breakdown for Disney adult, so if they are creating food off menu, they will charge you by the age level.

Also, I second the poster who says you can bring in food, but you can't have your son eat that at TS while you order something else. Instead, you can have him eat prior and then have a drink while you eat.

what kind of food does he eat? I have picky vegetarian kids and have had the best luck at buffets - they fill up on vegis, mashed potatoes, and whatnot, they love it. Also, Tony’s at MK, they will have pasta, and will even serve it plain if he wants. Does he like pizza? You can get that in several spots. Breakfast is typically easier too, Mickey waffles, eggs, fruit…

what kind of food does he eat? I have picky vegetarian kids and have had the best luck at buffets - they fill up on vegis, mashed potatoes, and whatnot, they love it. Also, Tony’s at MK, they will have pasta, and will even serve it plain if he wants. Does he like pizza? You can get that in several spots. Breakfast is typically easier too, Mickey waffles, eggs, fruit…
Yes to breakfast! Eggs, yogurt, fruit, pancakes. Lunch and dinner are harder. He's never liked pizza or spaghetti, even homemade. It's harder to get protein at this time.
Since the child is 11, if you sit at TS and get a special order, it will always be charged at adult-related prices, since 10 and up is the breakdown for Disney adult, so if they are creating food off menu, they will charge you by the age level.

Also, I second the poster who says you can bring in food, but you can't have your son eat that at TS while you order something else. Instead, you can have him eat prior and then have a drink while you eat.
We were thinking the same thing: have him eat before we go in and then get him a bread and cheese platter.

50’s Prime Time - I love the atmosphere and the shenanigans but my vegetarians (ages 14 & 18) don’t see anything on the menu that appeals to them. I was wondering if perhaps they have Impossible items not listed on the menu?

Has anyone been to California Grill since they started the 50th Anniversary pris fixe menu? It looks like there is only one single vegetarian option and my DD and her boyfriend are both vegetarians. Do they offer anything else "off menu"? She really loved the old "mix and match" vegetarian appetizer menu they had a couple of years ago.

The vegetarian options have been completely removed from the menu last time I looked! What on earth is going on with Cali Grill?! It was always a must-do on my trips and now I really do not see the point. Well, especially as they haven't even got veggie options on the menu now! They were charging $89 for a three-course prix fixe menu, so you'd pay for a 3-course veggie meal, same as someone who would be getting steak or fish! Seems incredulous to me. SO sad as it was one of the finest restaurants in WDW..

The vegetarian options have been completely removed from the menu last time I looked! What on earth is going on with Cali Grill?! It was always a must-do on my trips and now I really do not see the point. Well, especially as they haven't even got veggie options on the menu now! They were charging $89 for a three-course prix fixe menu, so you'd pay for a 3-course veggie meal, same as someone who would be getting steak or fish! Seems incredulous to me. SO sad as it was one of the finest restaurants in WDW..
I wonder if they're having supply issues and don't want to risk keeping items on the menu they're not completely sure they'll be able to have on hand at all times.

I wonder if they're having supply issues and don't want to risk keeping items on the menu they're not completely sure they'll be able to have on hand at all times.
That would explain why 80% of QS locations the “plant based” option is an impossible burger with some form jackfruit and/or avocado on top

50’s Prime Time - I love the atmosphere and the shenanigans but my vegetarians (ages 14 & 18) don’t see anything on the menu that appeals to them. I was wondering if perhaps they have Impossible items not listed on the menu?
50s is tough- salad is just a wedge of iceberg covered in vegan ranch, entree is usually a pasta w/veggie or veggies in sauce.

Of DHS TS Sci Fi is our go to-
Sci fi has a vegan burger, vegan shake, and artichoke dip (used to be ‘crab’ cakes which were the best of the plant based options at Sci fi).

If anything I’d just ask them to be sparing with the salt on the fries.

Had a pleasant vegetarian surprise at Connections (Epcot QS): curry vegetable pizza. Tasted more like an “open” samosa and was absolutely delicious for a quick serve (liked it better than the chickpea flatbread at Pinocchio’s). Worth a try if the veggiesauruses in your family enjoy the flavours of Indian cuisine!

035304D1-0239-4DBB-ACB3-812BFAB3E712.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter