Variants and the return to normal

I am rather glad that if this had to happen it came at a time when internet made working from home possible, and mobile order/curbside pickup was already in place in many stores/restaurants. Perhaps not used that much but available. I think that made it easier to be confined. I mean when I was my son's age there was no internet, computers were in their infancy and not everyone had one. They were more glorified word processers with some limited gaming capabilities.

I know not everyone likes working from home, for me, it saves over an hour each day in commuting, which is time I can spend with my kid, or walking the dog, or whatever. And so much less stress than having to drive in bad weather or rush hour. So I am glad for that, but I miss having coffee with friends, and seeing my parents when I feel like it, or being able to take my kid swimming. Hopefully, by April, when Ontario's new March break rolls around, things will be better and we'll be able to do these things, even if it's limited at first. Heck, I'll be happy when I can take my dog to the groomers without concern. They keep shutting that down and then when it reopens there is huge waiting lists. And yes, it's for his health and well being, not just for fun. No way I can use the clippers on him myself. Any way. It's all a bit exhausting. But oh I want to get to being able to travel again. I am hopeful for my December cruise, but realistic that it may not happen, or we may not want to go if there are too many restrictions (or the border is still closed).
Yes ditto. Can you imagine if this happened years ago without technology? School would be completely not done in any form. Working from home not an option. Couldn't keep in touch with anyone outside of the old (voice) telephone.

And same...one positive is that I love working from home full time. It saves so much time not having to commute each way for 1hr and stressing to leave on time (often cutting out in meetings) to be able to pick up my daughter in time. And DH and I have saved $1000s alone in not commuting. We're fortunate in that we both have jobs that where we can work from home.

One thing that I admit is that I am happy to miss out on the big family gatherings...there is often drama on DH's side. We're just all so different. Plus, I lost my dad this year so don't have to deal with the family dinners on my side with an empty seat for him.

But then there is the flip side...kids not seeing their friends and having playdates, and not being able to meet up with friends either at our girls night dinners or having them over. And a few close family members that I miss. And most of all...I live for our family vacations. I hate work but we always have some trip booked that I am counting down. It all sucks.

It's hard to say. I know our province has already said that moving forward, even once we're back to "normal" and the pandemic is considered "over", masks will be required from now on whenever people are symptomatic. So no more going to work or school or anywhere really with a cold, sniffles, a cough etc..., unless you're wearing a mask. So, they're definitely going to be here to stay in some capacity, for quite awhile.
I agree we won’t be going to work or school with cold symptoms probably ever again, but most people just won’t wear the masks on reg basis once the pandemic is over. Our work already said that you will have to work from home (once we return in person) if sick going forward.
There will be changes for sure, I guess we have to stay tuned, I hope and pray the vaccine will be effective enough to put all this behind us. I know (at least on this thread) we are so looking forward to travel!

I don't mind working from home and I think I'd enjoy it if I could actually visit with people after work, go to the gym, etc. With the polar vortex -38 with the windchill temperatures we've been having it's been kind of brutal. I am planning working from home more often this summer. Actually from the rental trailer I booked for 6 weeks at a resort that I haven't mentioned to my boss yet... LOL. But close to town that I can go back and forth easily, but really I can do a zoom meeting or reply to emails or write a letter from anywhere. Luckily we have great staff that work together and plan time we want off, and an experienced student that wants a lot of hours this summer so I might as well take advantage of the fact that there probably won't be required work travel or big events I need to physically be at this summer.

Ski hills are opening up next week and I'm happy my kids can get out and do something. Was even considering letting my ds skip school to go during the day. Normally, I wouldn't but I'm more concerned about him being online and not having that social interaction than his mark in biology when he's not planning to go into any science related field.

I can't wait to go somewhere. Even just across the border. I have gift cards for our favourite hotel on the lake and I hope we can take a trip there late this fall. If things open up and if DH can get Christmas off, we'd definitely consider Disney at Christmas, but only if fireworks had returned. Otherwise DD's Feb break 2022 or April 2022 after she's done school.

I better start feeding my kids dirt to help trigger their immune system.

I recommend the dirt route :P. Just kidding, sort of. I swear my kids are only as healthy as they are (all in their 20's now) because they "ate dirt" (it's the way I grew up too). They wouldn't always eat with clean hands, played in the sandbox and ate lunch, dug in the garden and we had pets, they would feed the dog a bit of their food and then continue eating their own food. They did get sick occasionally but that helps to build immunity too. They have pretty strong constitutions now.

I worry these days about a neighbour who has two young children and he is always wiping their hands with anti-bacterial wipes. The kids aren't allowed to pick up anything off the ground without having their hands sterilized afterwards. Time will tell how they fair. I understand the concern with everything that is going on but I am concerned about the long term effect this will have.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter