• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**** Vancouver FAQ Thread **** A few updates in main post!

For those needing taxi/cab service in Vancouver....

Just heard on the news the local cab companies now have apps to request and track your cab. You might want to download these apps to your phones.

You aren't going to need these apps getting from the airport or cruise terminal. But they are great for tourist attractions and restaurants.

There's a bottleneck getting through dispatch to request a cab, especially peak hours. Requesting a cab online or via app gives you direct connection to the drivers.

As a Vancouver resident, may I recommend Japadog? It's a Japanese-style hotdog that can be found in their food trucks or in a tiny little restaurant downtown. Delicious and unique.

Or if you see a Beaver Tail's food truck....you gotta try one. YUM.

Just booked airfare for our June 1 - 8 Wonder Cruise - this is now getting real!
Will be traveling with my parents (70's) my hubby and our 2 sons 25 and 21. Need a hotel for May 30 and 31 - then June 8th. Also info on transportation options from airport to "said" hotel :-) Would need Min 2 rooms - with one having 2 beds ( pref queen ) and ability to add a roll-a-way...
Suggestions welcome - Thanks in advance :-)

Just booked airfare for our June 1 - 8 Wonder Cruise - this is now getting real!
Will be traveling with my parents (70's) my hubby and our 2 sons 25 and 21. Need a hotel for May 30 and 31 - then June 8th. Also info on transportation options from airport to "said" hotel :-) Would need Min 2 rooms - with one having 2 beds ( pref queen ) and ability to add a roll-a-way...
Suggestions welcome - Thanks in advance :-)

Sounds like 6 people... I recommend two cabs for $35 each to get from airport to downtown hotels/cruise terminal.

Hotels? Lots of choose from. What's important to you?
  • What's your price range?
  • How close do you want to be to the cruise terminal?
  • Are restaurants important to you?
  • Wanna a free trip to the Orient? I like Richmond Airport hotels for some ethnic restaurants.
You want to book early to secure a spot ahead of Fifa women's coming to the city.

Sounds like 6 people... I recommend two cabs for $35 each to get from airport to downtown hotels/cruise terminal.

Hotels? Lots of choose from. What's important to you?
  • What's your price range?
  • How close do you want to be to the cruise terminal?
  • Are restaurants important to you?
  • Wanna a free trip to the Orient? I like Richmond Airport hotels for some ethnic restaurants.
You want to book early to secure a spot ahead of Fifa women's coming to the city.

Hi xlxo - thanks for the reply and info on the cab.
Yes, we will be 6 people total. We will probably have 6+pcs of luggage too.

*Price range - $120- $150 max - something clean and comfortable. We'd love to be able to get a room with 2 queen beds and a roll-away for the 4 of us. ( and another room for my parents.)
We arrive late on the 31st -so we are really only in Vancouver for 1 full day pre cruise. We just need a place to sleep, doesn't need to be fancy and would like it to be in a nice area that we can explore for that one day.
*Yes, close to terminal would be good, but we would need to take a cab the morning of the cruise anyway - so it doesn't have to be.
*We do like good food, and are not picky about "good/fancy" restaurants. Places unique to Vancouver would interest us.
*Would love a free trip to the Orient! ;-) ????

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sherri

Hi xlxo - thanks for the reply and info on the cab.
Yes, we will be 6 people total. We will probably have 6+pcs of luggage too.

*Price range - $120- $150 max - something clean and comfortable. We'd love to be able to get a room with 2 queen beds and a roll-away for the 4 of us. ( and another room for my parents.)
We arrive late on the 31st -so we are really only in Vancouver for 1 full day pre cruise. We just need a place to sleep, doesn't need to be fancy and would like it to be in a nice area that we can explore for that one day.
*Yes, close to terminal would be good, but we would need to take a cab the morning of the cruise anyway - so it doesn't have to be.
*We do like good food, and are not picky about "good/fancy" restaurants. Places unique to Vancouver would interest us.
*Would love a free trip to the Orient! ;-) ????

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sherri

I would try Last Minute Travel. We booked the Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel (Marriot) for $134 a night. It is one block from Canada Place.

I would try Last Minute Travel. We booked the Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel (Marriot) for $134 a night. It is one block from Canada Place.

I would second the Last Minute Travel suggestion. We are in Vancouver the last weekend of July/first of August and a lot of hotels were sold out or over $400 a night. I found a rate of $150 at the Hyatt downtown that is going for over $325 on their website. Its about 4-5 blocks to Canada Place.

I can't find opening prices for the Wonder ship after May 2015. I was looking for Alaska. Anybody here know where I can find that info? I want to see what they start out at so I can plan for 2016

Just booked Blue Horizon Hotel for pre and post cruise through booking dot com
$145/night - any opinions/tips?

Thank you for this tip. Does anyone know how you can find a card that does not charge a fee? Do I call the cards I have. I mostly use AMX but I do remember them charging us a fee on our cruise when we purchased something in Cozumel.

I believe Amex still charges fees, at least they do for the lower end cards. Maybe if you have gold or above they might not. I think one that does not charge is Capital One, but if you Google "Credit card international fees" you can probably find a link to cards that don't charge.

the AMEX skymiles reserve card does NOT have international charges.
This may also be true of other AMEX cards.

Hi all - Does anyone know if:
1. Liquor Stores are open on Sunday in Vancouver?
2. Are there any Liquor Stores located near The Blue Horizon Hotel?
Thanks so much,
Sherri

Alberni & Bute has a signature liquor store open til 6pm. Note it may be cheaper to get your liquor from your airport duty free store before you board.

For Last Minute Travel do you have to sign up with your email? I've looked at that site but didn't want to join something that started slamming me with promotions.
km

For Last Minute Travel do you have to sign up with your email? I've looked at that site but didn't want to join something that started slamming me with promotions.
km

You do have to register in order to see the hotel names. They send a few emails, but not a ton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter