Value resort not so much of a value...

The more I see about the Gondola system the more I wonder if the busses would just be faster to EP & DHS anyways.
I think I’ll have to see the route first hand to fully understand the system.

CBR won the coin toss for this trip because we spend A LOT of time in the world showcase. I'm betting it's still going to be faster than taking a bus to the front and hiking it all the way back...

I wonder the same thing about the busses being faster. It’s just one of those things some people will love to use and others not. And that’s ok. I think they will be cool to watch. Does anyone know when they will start letting people use them?
cool to watch - but cool in August ? no thanks lol. Heading to the gondola thread to see time frame for resort to park on the gondola system.

The more I see about the Gondola system the more I wonder if the busses would just be faster to EP & DHS anyways.

The gondolas have a much, much higher bandwidth than the buses. From the Gondola Thread:
  • Capacity is rumored to be roughly 4000-5000 people per hour each way
  • That's the equivalent of 40 buses worth to Epcot each hour, and 40 buses worth to DHS
I am looking forward to the Skyliner! Like the OP, I am not looking forward to prices at Pop Century skyrocketing. While I do see the Skyliner as a value add, I do not see it boosting the prices to above some moderates. Pop and AoA already had a slight premium over the All Stars, so I could see that gap widening a little bit, but as much as French Quarter? Come on!

I wonder the same thing. By the time you wait in line to load, take the gondola, disembark, transfer and wait in another line to load, then take that gondola..... wouldn't it just be faster to take the bus?? :confused3

It's like taking 2 monorails to get to Epcot from GF or Contemporary. I actually find it a PITA and would prefer to just take a bus directly there.

I wonder the same thing. By the time you wait in line to load, take the gondola, disembark, transfer and wait in another line to load, then take that gondola..... wouldn't it just be faster to take the bus?? :confused3

It's like taking 2 monorails to get to Epcot from GF or Contemporary. I actually find it a PITA and would prefer to just take a bus directly there.
I totally agree with you actually. I hate transferring. So i'd happily take the bus instead.

Gondolas are in constant motion and loading, unlike buses or monorail. Their transport capacity per hour will be much higher.

One other thing to remember is that we're dealing with date-based pricing, so I might look up a standard value room for an August trip and be far more pleased with the price I am quoted that someone trying to book that same room during the Spring Break time frame.

I mentioned in another thread that I checked Easter week 2020 against the week before Labor Day and found this:
August/Sept. week: All Star Movies= $125.00 POP= $163.00 POR= $249.00
then Easter Week: All Star Movies: $182.00 POP= $225.00 POR= $302.00

Even with transfers, I figure the buses deal with traffic, which can vary depending on time of year or day. Plus, at the end of the day, I will skip a bus if I have to stand. By the time I'm leaving the park...I want to sit. :)

So in that regard I imagine it will take me less time to find a seat on a gondola than a jam-packed bus. :)

The Gondola is not direct to HS or Epcot?
If staying at Pop and going to HS for example, yes you will have to get off and transfer to another gondola at CBR. They will still have buses apparently, so thats always the option. Honestly i'll try it out but from what i see now, i will probably stick with buses. It all depends on how quick the gondola is even with the transfers.

I was hoping to book Pop but one concern I have in addition to the price hike seen today is I worry that Pop might be left out of any discounts that come out next year (bc of the gondola perk), so I went with (a first stay at) All Star Movies.

But you know having a room booked at any resort doesn’t give you any advantage in applying a discount anyway, right? So having a room already booked at Movies doesn’t mean you have any advantage in getting a discount there either. If discounts come out, your resort, room type & dates have to be available with the promo in order to get it applied to your current reservation. Book what you can afford without A discount or what you are willing to pay. Then if a discount comes out, see if you can apply to your reservation or if there is something you prefer more.

So even if Pop is included in discounts, having a room already booked there doesn’t mean you would be able to apply it anyway.

The way Disney is increasing prices for this and that and now certain hotels because of this transportation system. Disney is getting further and further away from the typical everyday family budget. We are not ones to go every year. I did take my two girls last summer and my husband and I took our youngest on her spring break this year because he missed a magical time given her age. And that's how I notice the price difference. But it is enough for me to stop and and really contemplate if I want to take my two girls again next summer or basically wait another year where prices will be even higher. @ focusondisney you are right, you know book what you can afford without a discount.

maybe try renting points . That is what we did until we bought direct or get an AP for room discounts.

Glad I bought DVC when I did! I don't want to pay over $200 for Pop.
We just bought AKV direct in May. The numbers were right for us also. We rarely stay in mods or values since our first stay at AKL a few years ago. We have APs also so the 40% off rates are an option also. But if the discounts go away at least we have DVC. Looking to add 150 points next year (resale of course since we bought direct already).

We just bought AKV direct in May. The numbers were right for us also. We rarely stay in mods or values since our first stay at AKL a few years ago. We have APs also so the 40% off rates are an option also. But if the discounts go away at least we have DVC. Looking to add 150 points next year (resale of course since we bought direct already).
I bought resale in 2016, then direct, then resale, then direct, then resale.......I "may" have a problem....but I'm not one bit sorry!

And Disney is taking a risk here, that the gondola line is going to be an attraction. I'm not so sure, as there are a LOT of variables we don't know about yet, such as how it feels inside the gondolas during hot/humid weather, how often are they going to have to stop so the scooters/strollers can disembark, how often the entire line is going to have to stop because of mechanical failure or emergency, how often the entire line is going to be grounded because of bad weather (which Florida sees a LOT of during the summer, not to mention hurricane season coming into play.)

If I was staying in Pop and paying $200+ a night, and couldn't even use the Skyliner, I'd be ticked. I hope at least that Pop no longer says the transportation is free, because it very obviously isn't!

Most of the stations have a separate round the gondolas can move to for full-stop loading. Riviera's is not as clear but it does look as though there will be a lot of time in the station, and possibly the ability to stop in the station and catch up to the line at the end of the station.

There's a great video of the gondolas in bad weather on the gondola thread. They barely move. Lightning and extreme weather shuts down the monorail and boats as well.

I've stayed at the Poly when they changed the monorail schedule and at the Beach Club when they stopped the Friendship boats for construction-- neither was announced before I booked. Outside of a park you can walk from, no transportation is guaranteed.

The aerial sauna factor still concerns me too, but I feel much better after seeing how quickly they move and how much of the windows open for venting. With the short trips involved, it seems unlikely they will be any worse than the parking lot trams, or a 3:00 parade in the middle of a sunny summer day with humidity in the 90s.

OP: if you are looking for lowest price onsite, definitely price out All Star Sports and Music (single room, not the suites). Movies is bit more expensive than the other All Stars, and Movies rarely has the discount that Sports or Music get. (Pop and Mermaid @AoA will both be higher than Movies.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter